Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

5230 GPS Configuration

5230 GPS Configuration

Hi All,

I just bought a Nokia 5230 GPS enabled phone. But i am struggling to setup the GPS. Can any one help me with configuration guide. I have downloaded OVI suite & maps as well. However i do not know how to get GPS working. Please help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Re: 5230 GPS Configuration

vinayv wrote:

Hi All,

I just bought a Nokia 5230 GPS enabled phone. But i am struggling to setup the GPS. Can any one help me with configuration guide. I have downloaded OVI suite & maps as well. However i do not know how to get GPS working. Please help.

When you run OVI Maps on the 5230, the GPS will be activated. You'll have to wait till the GPS receives signals from at least 4 satellites to get a "fix" or "lock" This can take some time depending on where you are. Using A-GPS is an advantage for a faster fix. Read the English manual on page 95 aboutGPS.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/5230/guides

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

@Vinay, are you sure that you have 5230 or is it 5233?

First of all go in settings->positioning setting->positioning methods-> do you see "integrated GPS as option?

or do you only see bluetooth/external GPS and network based?

If you dont have "integrated GPS" , you do not have GPS chip and can confirm my fears as happened with 5233.

If you have it then please enable it.

then next step should be positioning server, it should be supl.nokia.com and access point should be correctly specified to one which you use for web browsing, that means you should having GPRS working.

This is not actually required but it helps you to get quick fix, thats why it called Assisted-GPS, A-GPS :smileyhappy:

Please let me know what happens or just drop me comments on twitter http://twitter.com/mobileyog 

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi,

I have the same problem: have a nokia since 2 months a 5230 (for sure) and I activated the gps.

GPS with nokia maps made only once a fix in some minutes when I was outside near a lake (nothing aorund) otherwise it indicates always red or yellow scale strenght of signal. Both inside (of course) and outside.. No fixing works even if I wait for quarter of hours.

I uograded to leatest firmware software 12.something this week but nothing changed.

Should I bring my neew phone to Nokia assistance?

Thanks a lot

Andrea

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

@Andrea, Have you checked positioning settings as I have mentioned? Try to enable positioning methods Integrated GPS and Network Based, Assisted GPS.

Also Positioning server should be supl.nokia.com and valid access point should be specified. means you should be able to use data connection via same access point.

You can try to install Google Maps and check whether that shows your location, exact or approximate.

Location can be approximate if its been done via Network based(Cell tower triangulation), Assisted GPS(via fetching location details from GPRS and assisting actual GPS)

If you dont want to use data connection, then only enable integrated GPS in positioning methods and try. But this can take long time to get fix ( > 15-20 mins)

Please post here how things work( or not work ) :smileyhappy: 

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Contributor
SammyBoy4

I tried in all methods. But, GPS is still not configured in my 5230. Please help me guys. I followed all your inputs above and I waited around 30 minutes. No luck yet :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

My brother has it and GPS is definitely working.

i will suggest you to again check following things.

1) Positioning setting->Methods->ensure that you have Integrated GPS, Assisted GPS, Network Based methods  all enabled

2)Positioning server -> supl.nokia.com

3)Access point -> this should be valid access point by which you are using internet on mobile.

Then go in GPS Data and see if you can get GPS lock, try to be under clear sky for first lock.

If this also doesnt work let me know, I can help further if you are in India.

Else take you mobile to Nokia Care and show them the problem.

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Contributor
SammyBoy4

How can I get assured that I got GPS lock?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

You can go in GPS data application and try to see if you position is being show as this attached screenshot.

GPS_Nokai5230

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Contributor
SammyBoy4

@ Suyogmh: Yes. I can see that in my mobile (as shown in the screenshot). The problem is, when I click "Ovimaps" nothing is getting displayed. I mean, no map there :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

@sammyboy4 , thats good news which means your GPS is working fine.

Now OVI Maps needs Map data to be loaded on your phone(preferably on memory card)

Please check followings steps:-

1)Ensure that you have Memory card in your 5230.

2)Download and Install OVI Suite 2.1 or Nokia Map Loader, which allows you to download and install Maps for your country/area, also navigation language packs.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-ovi-suite

http://maps.nokia.com/ovi-services-and-apps/ovi-maps/downloads#/nokia-5230/

3)Try again, now you should be able to see maps with your location.There are many additional nice features like free navigation,guides.

4)You can also go to m.google.com on your phone and download and install google maps.

Please note that Google Maps always need data connection to show maps, OVI Maps doesnt need always data connection.

Let me know if you have further questions, I will be happy to help.

I am on twitter also @mobileyog

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Contributor
SammyBoy4

Yeah. I downloaded and installed Ovimaps.. But, still I can't see the map... Only a blank white screen appears :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

Please load Maps data with OVI suite or Nokia Map Loader. Have you done that?

I am not saying about OVI Maps application on Mobile. You need to load map data on your memory card.

Let me know if you understand this or not.

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Contributor
SammyBoy4

No. I don't get that. How to load map in my mobile? Please do explain me a bit..

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

please download and install ovi suite or nokia maps loader on your pc.

then connect your mobile via data cable to pc and use ovi suite/map loader to load map data on mobile.

I have provided link in my earlier posts. please check.

If you have ovi/google id then let me know, I am online now.

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Contributor
SammyBoy4

Thanks a lot Suyog.. It worked finally, and superb. The credit goes to you :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ksouren007

Hi Suyog,

I want to use the maps in the offline mode i.e. I dont want to use the GPRS data connection for that...is that possible. I have downloaded and installed the maps in my Nokia 5230...but when I go to my location it does nt show the maps in offline mode (only a blank screen) even if the maps are present in my memory card. Please advice.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
coolo9

i have the same question, please advise, thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You can use Ovi Maps without going online if you pre-downlod all the required map data using Ovi Suite and if you disable assisted gps and network based in Positioning methods. Blank screen means you either do not have the map data for the area or the map data you think you have is not compatible with the version of tha Maps application you are running. Re download the map data if this is the case.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
new5230

Hi Suyog,

I am having a first lock problem even with all postioning methods enabled. But I might have been indoors. Could that be an issue? Typically how long should it take under a clear sky?

Also have a few questions:

1. If I use only the integrated(satellite?) GPS, do you know if there are any charges? Because Nokia website says Navigation is free for lifetime of phone.

2. Also if I enable all postioning methods including AGPS, Network etc  how expensive could it get in India?

3. After the first lock would it be okay to just keep Integrated(satellite?) GPS enabled & how long might it take to position me & for navigation etc?

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

SM

Please use plain text.