Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 5530 & nokia maps

Advisor

5530 & nokia maps

hi all,

i've tried asking this question in the S60 section with no response.

does anyone know when nokia maps will be released for the 5530? or is there a way to get the 5800 version on the 5530 as they should be compatible.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
makisig

I thought 5530XM doesn't have GPS.
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Silver-Black Type: RM-356 V50.0.005
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Even though 5530 doesn't have GPS, it may still be possible to download the Maps application and browse the offline maps, or use an external Bluetooth GPS. 

Try downloading and installing Ovi Maps to your handset through the official websites. If this does not work for you, then Google for the standalone S60 5th edition version of Ovi Maps 3.0, which you will then be able to download as a .sisx. This may or may not work, but give it a try and hopefully it does work. 

If you found this or someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to their post!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor

i've got hold of a .sisx version, but when i try to install it, it cancels the installation saying that i need to install the base package first.

does anyone know how to get this?

i have contacted nokia asking when nokia maps will be available for the 5530 and am waiting for their response.

Please use plain text.
Employee

Have you tried using Nokia Maps Updater? The device does not come preinstalled with Maps so you would need to install a base application version (which i guess is not the .sisx file you have).

If the 5530 is able to run Ovi Maps NMU will be able to install the application.

I will find out for definite if Ovi maps will work on this device and post here.

Cheers

Although i work for Nokia, my opinions are my own!

Got a Maps query? Check our Maps FAQ's
Please use plain text.
Advisor

hi,

i've tried using maps updater. it tells me that i have do not have a compatible phone connected. nokia have released maps for a few phones that don't have gps, so i guess i'll have to wait for them to update their system.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
5530_sucks

@cbidlake

Do you have any updates regarding Ovi Maps on Nokia 5530.

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi, I am so sorry for the delay in the reply.

Yes Ovi Maps is available for the 5530. I would advise firstly to backup your device via PC Suite and then upgrade the firmware for your device via Nokia Software Updater. after which you can run Nokia Maps Updater (available from www.nokia.com/maps/download).

Cheers

Chris

Please use plain text.
Contributor
5530_sucks

@cbidlake

Thanks for your quick response.

However, I do not see Nokia 5530 in the list of devices on the page (http://www.nokia.com/maps/download). May be I am missing some step. Could you please give me the steps.

Regards. 

Please use plain text.
Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi,
Apologies - i missed an anotation on the sheet i was checking.
Ovi Maps 3.01 will be available for the 5530, however it is planned to be included with a later firmware release..

I do not currently know when this will be avialable - i will look to give you an estimate tomorrow.

Thanks

Chris

Message Edited by cbidlake on 10-Dec-2009 05:25 PM

Please use plain text.
Contributor
5530_sucks

Hi Chris,

any updates?

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Simply install version for 5800, there is almost no difference in hardware / symbian between these two. I've tried many applications "just for 5800" on 5530 and almost 99% worked without any problem.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

@Eliwood:

I tried to install Nokia_Maps_2.0_2204_3.2_u.sis (for Nokia 5800) on my Nokia 5530 and it didn't work! :smileysad:

The system told me that it's not compatible and also that a base package is missing.

Please use plain text.
Sage
CJSS5

Install ovi suite and then go to updates when your phone is connected (make sure it is connnected in pc suite mode)

you should see a nokia/ovi maps update it will then install it on your phone. After this by clicking on maps in the ovi suite you can download the voices and maps

CJSS IT & Multimedia Solutions
http://cjss.eu.org

Was I Helpful? Please Kudos (To Kudos press the green star on the left, thanks.)
Please use plain text.

I installed Ovi Maps Beta once the 5530 had had its first major firmware update in October 2009 - and Ovi Maps worked perfectly (I assume that it's the 5800 version). I got a Bluetooth GPS module, paired it to my 5530 and it works perfectly! (Which is a bit annoying, as Nokia do seem to be pushing the 5230 as a "superior" handset to the 5530, as it has a A-GPS built into it.)

I'm really pleased to hear that Ovi Maps turn-by-turn voice guidance is free, so I promptly updated my map via Map Updater.

Unfortunately, I guess that the 5800 version of Ovi Maps doesn't have full compatibility with the 5530: I paired my GPS module, but on attempting to navigate to a location, the application informs me that I need to go online to purchase the Ovi Maps navigation license!

I do hope that Nokia will realise that there are plenty of their handsets out there that are capable of handling Ovi Maps and pairing with a GPS module - After all, Nokia could make an absolute killing with the basic to mid range handsets that are capable(?) of voice guidance, e.g. the 6303.

Please use plain text.

Ovi Maps 3.03 with Free navigation is not available yest on 5530. BAH HUMBUG NOKIA

see here for more info

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...hread.id=16884

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have it working on my 5530 no problem.

Make sure you update your maps install if you haven't already.

Go to http://maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps/downloads#/default/ and select 5800 as model.

Download software to your PC

maps_installer_3.03_10wk1_b05_s60_5.0.Nocs.sis  or similar file.

Connect 5530 by USB and run software.... that's it you have free voice guidance and a nicer front end to the maps.

Please use plain text.

Yes. it works! I love you and I want to have your children!

rce24 wrote:

I have it working on my 5530 no problem.

Make sure you update your maps install if you haven't already.

Go to http://maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps/downloads#/default/ and select 5800 as model.

Download software to your PC

maps_installer_3.03_10wk1_b05_s60_5.0.Nocs.sis  or similar file.

Connect 5530 by USB and run software.... that's it you have free voice guidance and a nicer front end to the maps.

Please use plain text.

rce24 - Thank you!

Your solution works. I'd never have thought about downloading the 5800 file (now that Ovi Maps Uploader is available).

I used PC Suite to install the file on the handset.

I've only given it a quick trial, but it does seem to work very well. I've yet to test it "on the road", though.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
5530_sucks

Sorry if the question is dumb. Do you have a separate GPS receiver. If so, can you tell me the model number.

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.