Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 5530 & nokia maps

Counsellor

have a look here, managed to get nokia to answer...

/discussions/board/message?board.id=navigation&message.id=16416&jump=true

Basically, At this point the forums staff do not know if support will be added as the only information they have is what is available to us.

For the 6210, N95, N85, etc... , owners - looks like you either wait it out in the (presumably erroneous) hope that Nokia will support your phone eventually.

They can't say anything more. 

Please use plain text.

OK. To follow up on my recent post - I have used the 5530 to Navigate from A to B using the free turn-by-turn voice guidance...

It all works!

In reply to the post regarding the GPS module. Since the 5530 doesn't have an onboard GPS receiver chip - Yes, you do need to buy a Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver/module. There are a few keychain GPS modules out there now, but if you want to use a Nokia GPS module, then search for "Nokia Bluetooth GPS Module LD-4W". Some stockists might have the older (cheaper) version of this, which is the "LD-3W". I bought my LD-3W second hand from eBay.

It's very simple to use: Charge it up. Pair it with the handset (Bluetooth). Let it get a satellite fix (takes <1min.) and open Ovi Maps. It should be ready to navigate/show your position!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Virtually any Bluetooth GPS will work with the 5530 I have a Nokia LD-4W and an old Bluetooth GPS that has no makers ID.

Both work with the 5530, however...

I use a Bluetooth motorcycle helmet so I can listen to music and get voice directions from the 5530, this works fine with the old Bluetooth GPS, eg both the helmet and the GPS pair with the phone at the same time. This works perfectly.

With the Nokia LD-4W it seems that it can be the only Bluetooth device connected to the 5530, if I connect the helmet the map fails to update correctly and the audio to the helmet is choppy.

I have also read that the LD-4W can have issues with other devices, so you are probably better off getting something other than the LD-4W if you want to use the 5530 with other Bluetooth devices at the same time.

Using OVI maps, I have found that if you swipe across the screen (when navigating) you can get to a screen that shows your full route and one that shows the next turn and distance to it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yehuda

i have the nokia 5530 and ld-4w. everybody else says they wont work together, but u seem to have done it. how?

yehuda brynin

yehuda@brynin.com

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yehuda

hi

i cant get the ld-4w to work with the 5530. they're not supposed to work together. how did you do it?

yehuda brynin

yehuda@brynin.com

Please use plain text.
Advisor

My mistake was I never read that it didn't work :smileywink:

I paired it under bt devices as normal, then went in to "location" not "maps" and setup the phone to use bluetooth.

Don't think I had to do anything else.

Did use it with headphones for navigation on foot and it worked, but as I said it made the audio choppy if using it at same time as other bt device (eg my crash helmet or bt headphones)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dani2468

Please can someone help me???I have Nokia maps software installed on my nokia 5530,  but somehow i am not able to connect to the internet when i try to use wifi as the internet.PLZ PLZ PLZ......can someone plz help me???

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dani2468

Please can anyone help me?I am having problems with connecting to the internet. When i open Nokia maps on my phone,  then it asks to connect to the internet but i am not able to for some reason. Can someone please help me????

Kind Regards

Daniel JB

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dani2468

Does this Bluetooth GPS module actually create or make a 3G connection from the satellilte. If it does create a 3G connection, then can i connect to the internet with a 3G connection. If this does not create or make a 3G connection then  does anyone know how to get a 3G connection with the Nokia 5530.

Kind Regards

Daniel JB

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Not possible with any device to get 3G in that way.

With the 5530 to get 3G the best way is something like the MiFi http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/14/me_and_my_mifi/

Please use plain text.
Advisor

If you are trying to connect to the internet bt WiFi from the maps application for some reason it will not work unless you have your bluetooth gps on at the same time.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dani2468

So there is no way that u are able to connect to the internet in Nokia Maps

Kind Regards

Daniel

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@dani - yes there is. use mobile internet.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dani2468

But when i use mobile internet it says: No internet connection. Select 'Options' > 'Tools' > 'Go online' to go online. What can i do to get this connection to the internet on Nokia Maps to work.

Kind Regards

Daniel JB

Please use plain text.
Professor
bearshare

@rce24:

Fantastic!

I had Nokia Maps 3.01 installed on my 5530 and the version you posted, maps_installer_3.03_10wk1_b05_s60_5.0.Nocs.sis, is the first version of Ovi Maps that I managed to install. It is by far much better than Nokia Maps 3.01!

Thank you very much for sharing this.

Best regards!

Please use plain text.