Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Assisted GPS (A-GPS) Question about data trans...

Dimitri_
Accepted Solution

Assisted GPS (A-GPS) Question about data transfer.

Hi All,

I am using my Nokia E71 as GPS.

I am using "Integrated GPS" & "Assisted GPS".

I am using a 3G access point from my provider.

I noticed that I get a GPS connection in a few seconds almost anywhere (inside & outside).

This is because of the A-GPS.

I know A-GPS is using the 3G network to get faster GPS connection.

Here is my question:

If I start Nokia Maps (3.03):

+how much KB will it use on the 3G network (for example when navigating to a location)?

+how long will I be connected with the 3G network (for example when navigating to a location)?

+will it be using the 3G network (downloading & sending data) all the time when Nokia Maps is open?

+is this going to cost me much to use this? If I open Nokia Maps 3 times each day.

After I get a GPS connection, will it stop using the 3G network (no more paying for kb data or time on 3G network)?

This is realy important for me to know.

I don't want my bill to be extra expensive.

Thanks in advance. :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Dimitri

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: Assisted GPS (A-GPS) Question about data transfer.

This is what I have noticed on Ovi maps on 5800.

1. On general, getting a connection will only use about an average of 15kb depending on how difficult to get data. It can get as low as 6kb, or as high as 27kb.

2. It will connect everytime the GPS signals get too weak to maintain a GPS fix. In extremely bad weather for example, it may remain connected throughout the journey.

3. No, as I said before, it is only connected and downloading when signals are too low.

4. Depends on your data plan of course. I couldnt really comment as I am on an unlimited data plan.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
fonero

Dimitri: I know A-GPS is using the 3G network to get faster GPS connection.

+how much KB will it use on the 3G network (for example when navigating to a location)?

I suppose your phone is like my E66 that it has a data packet counter "log/packet data". Zero those counters, start GPS and see, how much data is transferred in your case.

I don't use a-gps normally but when I tested it (a year ago) the amount of data transferred was something like 4-6kB.

Markus

(Lumia 820, 8.0.10328.78, 3047.0000.1328.0003, Here Drive+ 3.0.4121.0, map 8.30.51.121)
Please use plain text.
Dimitri_

Hi all,

Thank you for the answers! :smileyvery-happy:

I am planning to buy a 3G network plan.

Shall I buy a plan based on:

*KB used on 3G network

or

*Time connected to 3G network

I want to buy this plan for use with A-GPS.

Regards,

Dimitri

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

If you're for gonna buy an internet plan for GPS only, I'd suggest a kb plan. You'll gonna get real expensive bills if you get stuck on traffic and you're on a "time" plan. However kb plans would be more expensive for surfing the net...^_^
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Dimitri_

Thank you for your answer chanchan05!

I want a plan for most of the time GPS.

Sometimes maybe visit some websites or ebuddy.

I can get a 250MB/month plan for 5 euros.

Will this plan be good enough for my needs? :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Sage

That will be more than sufficient I would say.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I think so, it should be enough. One advice to keep the bills low is to open Ovi Maps with A-GPS, and once you get the fix, turn off A-GPS. You'll only be using A-GPS for the initial fix, and for the rest of the trip, Integrated GPS should do fine.
Please use plain text.
Dimitri_

Thank you all for the great answers! :smileyhappy:

I now know everything I had to know.

This thread may be closed. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.