Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Avoiding a Road

Counsellor
Vortigern666

Avoiding a Road

Is there a way in the navigation I can get it to avoid certain roads ad-hoc on a journey?

ie. As I was driving last night the main road was closed but my traffic updates on the N8 weren't working, so I took to the lesser roads but the navigation was insistent I should take a U turn and get back on the main road, meaning that the time when I actually could do with navigation it was working against me.

If it can't do that then that's on my wishlist, along with being able to enter how many miles fuel I think I have left and showing me a suitable petrol station en route.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Avoiding a Road

Vortigern666 wrote:

ie. As I was driving last night the main road was closed but my traffic updates on the N8 weren't working, so I took to the lesser roads but the navigation was insistent I should take a U turn and get back on the main road,

Not that OVI Maps very smart in this respect, sometimes think developers all cycle into work which might explain why Bluetooth navigation in vehicles so low on list of priorities, but did you try Spanner icon > Route > Shorter route for example to see if made any difference?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

When I change the course it almost immediately says 'Route Re-calculation' and starts direction following the NEW route.. Not sure which of the settings is causing this.. Is it Spanner Icon-->Navigation-->Reroute due to Traffic.. set to AUTOMATIC making this happen ???

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Vortigern666

Yeah it always recalculates the route but wants me to take the road that I've turned off on purpose - I just wondered if there was some secret way of tapping on the road on the map and saying "avoid"

I swapped it and chose shortest route which did at least not insist on getting back to the main road at all costs, but involved so many junctions it wasn't ideal.

I guess the phone doesn't know if you're a motorbike or a large van so errs on the safe side and avoids the smaller roads in "optimised" mode.

Please use plain text.
Tryst

I would love that myself. The journey I have to take every day takes me to the M25 almost by the Dartford Tunnel. In the mornings, it's a nightmare and you can take 30 minutes or more to travel 1 mile. There is an alternative I've been told about but Drive insists that I go back to my original route so I have never been able to find it. Commute doesn't update because that part of the M25 is ALWAYS like that in the mornings so nobody mentions it any more and it's just accepted as par for the course for anyone travelling into Essex, therefore - no crowd info, no update for Commute. Besides, since my phone is PAYG, I don't want it burning all my credit on data.

If I could tell it to avoid the M25 completely, I could get it to recalculate the alternative route. I have travelled around my home country enough to know the hotspots well enough so I know which roads to avoid as standard.

It would also be nice to travel VIA a particular location. For example, I want to go from Margate to Leatherhead Via Croydon because I need to call in somewhere in Croydon first. The direct route wouldn't even take me anyewhere near London. Rather than program in two journeys, we could have waypoints for it to go to on the way. Even nicer if it had the capability for multiple waypoints.

One thing I do miss in Nokia Drive though, is my "store current position" that I had on my previous satnav (TomTom). Sometimes, your postcode entry doesn't take you to the place you want to be so you have to manually tell it that THIS spot is where I need to go in future. Although I must say that Nokia Drive seems to be far more accurate with postcodes than most satnavs I've seen.

Please use plain text.