Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Best Budget Free Navigation Phone?

callingbubba
Accepted Solution

Best Budget Free Navigation Phone?

Hey gang, 

Shopping for a Nokia with free Nokia maps/navi, but don't really need a full fledged Windows, or Symbian belle smartphone, and don't like S60 either.

So, I did find the S40 6700 classic with GPS and maps/navi, but is navigation for free as long as the firmware is updated using Nokia suite?  Can I load maps with maps loader on my mac (or windows)?  

I have many saved favorites synced to my Nokia account (had N8), does anyone know if I can resync those favorites to the 6700?  I was able to do this between S^3 and S60 devices, but not sure of S40 with maps/navi.

If only the Asha 303 had a gps with free navi, my problems would be solved... 

Advice appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

callingbubba wrote:

I did find the S40 6700 classic with GPS and maps/navi, but is navigation for free as long as the firmware is updated using Nokia suite?  Can I load maps with maps loader on my mac (or windows)?  

Correct, latest firmware needed as here:http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/maps-support/compatibility-and-download#/nokia-6700-...

Nokia Maploader for Mac only works up to Ovi Maps v3.04 and does not work with Nokia Maps 1.0 for S40 upon my 3720 Classic!

Unfortunately S40 Maps version is the poor relation with lower resolution mapping and inability to encompass favourites as not enough resources upon device.

Have to say that Nokia 5230 was the most cost effective navigation device released using Nokia Maps v3.06 now.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
callingbubba

Thanks for the detailed reply, it was extremely helpful. Since I use Nokia maps so much, and with so many locations saved I might get the 700, as I already have many Belle apps, it's very cheap on amazon, and faster processor than first gen S^3 devices.
cheers!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Just remember that whilst you can download mapping utilizing "Update" feature within Nokia Maps you won't currently be able to use Nokia Maploader upon your Mac for this purpose, but I have previously posted workarounds for this issue!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.