Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Can OVI maps works off-line?

Advisor
gaingi
Accepted Solution

Can OVI maps works off-line?

[ Edited ]

Hi Nokia folks,

I have a 5230, I installed on this phone OVI maps (3.03) and I downloaded the map of norway. When I try to find an address (any address) I can't find it. I set the telephone to not use GPRS connection to dowload data.

Any suggestion. 

Message Edited by gaingi on 28-Jan-2010 08:43 AM
Nokia 5230
Counsellor

Re: Can OVI maps works off-line?

There are several threads on this now. Just search for a village first. I.e. Stavanger, Norway. Then search again, from this new point, as only nearby addresses are searchable in offline mode.
Advisor
gaingi

I tried to search but was an ocean. Too many 3d without main topics (installation, guides, troubles, ecc.).

I tried to find an address as you told me, but doesn't work. I can find the city but not the streets.

Do you know if exists a tutorial or instructions/help to use OVI maps? There are several things that I don't understand (favorites, home, navigation).

Nokia 5230
Professor
hgohel

gaingi,

There is a support site for Ovi/Nokia Maps where you can find some user guides and FAQs.

Lumia 920, Lumia 800
Nokia N8-00 (NAM, Product Code: 059C8T6), Symbian Belle, Type RM-596, 111.030.0609
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (NAM, Product Code: 0577454) Software v51.2.007, Type RM-428
Advisor
gaingi

Thank you hgohel, finally some light.
@Super_dane
I find others 3d (they wrote offline in one word), but search still don't work.
What is the syntax for search? I have to use commas? Is this (parkveien 1, Oslo, Norway) a valid address to search?
I will appreciate any example or help.
Nokia 5230
Advisor
gaingi

Again

What is the syntax for search? I have to use commas? Is this (parkveien 1, Oslo, Norway) a valid address to search?
I will appreciate any example or help.

I can't search address with ovi maps offline.

Nokia 5230
Contributor

I found a lot of 3d about this problem, but the solution on my 5800 doesn't run.

I have ovimaps ovi3.03 10kw01, last fw release V31.0.101.C01.01.

I start ovimaps, select the search, I write street, city, country but it fails. 

ex. cufra 8,milano,italy

Is it correctly written ? there must be a space after commas ?

Mobile Visionary

I can find 8 Via Cufra Milan .

Method Online required in settings otherwise you will only get Milan

search string is       8 Cufra   Milan .

Iam using English  English to  search and i dont know if your language version will work the same way .

likewise search string  1 Parkveien Oslo  is found .

jje

Advisor

I'm in the UK and can search with a postcode.

Do you not have something similar?
Advisor
gaingi

jjegan wrote:

I can find 8 Via Cufra Milan .

Method Online required in settings otherwise you will only get Milan

This 3d is for offline search. If on line works it is normal. Did you try off line with the same search string?

Nokia 5230
Counsellor

Hi all,

same issue here.

I have ovimaps ovi3.03 10kw01, last fw release V31.0.101.C01.01.

One question. When I launch the Maps (offline mode), I click on the lens symbol, I click "address", I insert the country.

From previous threads I do not understand where you write the street number, street name and country. Do you write them in each slot provided, or everything on the street name line.

folowing the example above: 8 cufra milan, if I write the three information in the right slot, then it is found even if I am online.

What I do *not* get is autocompletion of, for instance, I just type "Mil" as the city. Or better, depending how I exit the keyboard screen, I get options or not... autocompletion is really weird and non-deterministic!

Any help is appreciated

Advisor
gaingi

@Go5800

Can you post some picture (step by step) because I don't have any slots on my maps.

Nokia 5230
Counsellor

Hi,

before posting pictures, I just found out that maybe I'm not 100% updated: if I ask for the version of my Maps application, I get the following:

v3.01 09wk26 b01

while on Nokia website I can download this file:

maps_installer_3.03_10wk1_b05_s60_5.0.Nocs

Now the programs opens up with the map, not with the grid menu with the world map in background... am I using a previous version maybe?

Sage

Hi gaingi,

i have tried an Offline search for 'Parkveien 1, Oslo, Norway' it was found.

Btw, have you downloaded the Map of Norway to your phone via Map Loader?

Sage

@Go5800

Yes, you were using the previous version because the OVI Maps version was still the v3.1.

Now it seems that you are already using the new version of OVI Maps, v3.03.

Counsellor

Incredible. I loaded 3.01 just after purchasing the phone (and indeed it told me that I had a 90-day driving license, not a lifetime one. Now I have installed the new one, so I have the grid menu at startup and all the other things.

Great!

Advisor
gaingi

Yeees it works,

I had maps of Norway, of course, but you write the right sintax.

Yesterday I updated the telephone firmware, maybe helped a little.

A suggestion for people that read this post. Write the street name as you see in the map. For example, in norwegian you can write "suhms gate" or "suhmsgate" as street name. But if you write "suhmsgate" the telephone can not find the street.  Could be same in other language and place.

Post here other suggestions.

Thank you comodo09, you are the only one that tried.

Nokia 5230
Advisor
gaingi

Yes can works. Write "via cufra 8, milano, Italia".

As I wrote in my previous post, you have to write the name of the street as is write on the map (or as postal address).

Nokia 5230
Counsellor

I can confirm, it works. Moreover, it also correctly evaluates the number. I mean: try

via palmanova 20, milano

via palmanova 200, milano

it is a long street, and the tool correctly goes to the right point of the street. In case of short, small streets, it does not consider the number, but I think it is due to the map data, not to the Nokia tool.

Other example: if you try

via gar milano, it finds 2 possible streets. It does NOT find "Corso Garibaldi" (Corso is like "Avenue", Via is like "Road"), which to me is acceptable.

BTW all this searches done offline.

I also tried the Michelin icon, it finds restaurant around my position. Cool.

Contributor

@Go5800

Sorry, I tried with

via palmanova 20, milano

but it doesn't work! I don't know why.

I tried in off-line mode.

Did you write  via palmanova 20, milano or 'via palmanova 20, milano' or similar ?

If i go to the milan map and move to palmanova, I see the road and the name.

I don't know what it could be and how to solve !

Maybe did the installation or donwload of the map fail ?