Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Cannot open map application

Sage
AlanWatson
Accepted Solution

Cannot open map application

Hi,

I have a new Nokia 701, which I bought yesterday. The first thing I did when I got it home was to check with Nokia suite to see whether FP1 for Belle was available here in Taiwan. Apparently it is not, but Nokia suite did tell me that I should install a new version of the Nokia maps software, which I duly did. It  then said that I should download new maps, which I also did.

After going through the rest of the phone setup, I started checking various things I found that the map application would not open. When I press on the icon I get a spinning circle in the middle of the screen which remains for about a second, then smaller circle in the top left of the map icon which stays for a couple of seconds. The circles go away and nothing opens.

I can set up map options, define my Nokia account etc, and ironically I can see the maps themselves if I open the Drive application, but I still can't get the map application to do anything.

I have tried lots of things:

• deleting and re-dowloading map files
  • resetting factory settings on the phone
  • deleting everything on the phone with *#7370#
  • reinstalling the phone software through Ovi suite

Nothing makes any difference. I have a hunch that this is because I have reinstalled the phone operating system, but not the maps software, and I can't find anyway of doing this. Stupidly I did not make a backup first.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Alan

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Cannot open map application

AlanWatson wrote:

I have tried lots of things:

• deleting everything on the phone with *#7370#

Unfortunately the above was probably the incriminating factor for this Belle device and you may well find that you need to have software completely re-furbished at Nokia Care Point to return device to "Out of box" state.

There is a big difference between Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 from Nokia Beta Labs which took away a big chunk of free phone memory but could be removed if wanted and the production release which binds itself into device software and can't!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

Hi Alan,

The new Nokia Maps suite is in the Ovi/Nokia Store for your phone.

http://store.ovi.com/content/265481

The tricky part is if you are allowed to reinstall or not. If the usual approach fails, one might try to add /download to the link above, download and copy the .sis file to the phone and see if that works?

If it fails then Nokia Care is the next step, they may have a link to a full package off-line installer for Maps instead of the small on-line version in the store for this kind of trouble.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Sage
AlanWatson

Thanks for the comments. In the end I took it to the Nokia service centre here in Taipei and they fixed it within an hour.

Alan

Please use plain text.