Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Cannot plan a detour (A to B via C) on 2710 (S...

Advisor
Fiah

Cannot plan a detour (A to B via C) on 2710 (S40)

Hi everybody,

I've just taken delivery of my new Nokia 2710, which I bought to take advantage of the free worldwide maps that Nokia offers. It could be that I don't really understand the interface yet, but I have not found any way to plan a route from A to B via C. From A to B is pretty straightforward and works well, but all the clicking around hasn't enabled me to plan a detour. The only option seems to be to set the detour as destination and after arriving set the final destination. This is not really an option for me. The 'plan route' menu looks like the place to add a via point, but I haven't been able to change anything other than the starting point and the destination.

Can anybody shed some light on this? I realize that the Maps software for S40 series phones would be somewhat limited compared to the S60 series/smartphones, but this strikes me as something that should be in there.

Thanks for your time!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fiah

Re: Cannot plan a detour (A to B via C) on 2710 (S40)

Anyone? Perhaps I have worded my question a bid awkwardly, but I really think this is a user interface quirk that just escaped either my attention or that of Nokia's quality assurance people. From a programmer's point of view, making software that calculates routes from A to B via C is trivial once a route from A to C and from C to B can be calculated.

I've also contacted my local Nokia support team about this, maybe they can provide an anwser. If they do, I'll post it here as well :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fiah

Upon further review, it seems that this phone is not capable of doing this at all. I gather this from the Nokia Maps for S40 guide, by comparing it to the Ovi Maps 3.x guides that explicitly explain the ability to add destinations and rearrange them:

Ovi Maps 3.0, plan a route:
To plan a route from a place on the map, press the select Add to route using the scroll key or the information area at the top of the screen. This sets your starting point.

To add your destination and other places to the route, select Add new route point, select the place you want to add (either from the map, from address search, from History or Favourites) and press Select.

To edit your route, select Edit using the scroll key or the information area at the top of the screen.

Compared to:

Nokia Maps 2.1 for S40, plan a route:
Plan your journey, and create your route and view it on the map before setting off. Select Menu > Maps.
  1. Select Plan route.
  2. Select Starting point and your current position, a saved or recent location, a place from the map, or a specific address as the start point of your route.
  3. Select Destination and the end point of your route.   

While it seems that I could have extracted from this that one of the features that I require is not there before purchasing my Nokia 2710, I am extremely disappointed that it's not there. Considering that this phone is marketed as the new navigation solution of budget oriented users with, and I quote: 'advanced navigation features to keep you on the right track as you explore new places', my opinion is that this feature should absolutely have been included. The 'advanced' moniker clearly does not apply to this phone's navigation abilities, as the ability to plan a route with multiple stops is a basic feature that is expected on all devices that are focussed on automobile navigation.

I am not sure as to how to continue, as I really do like the rest of the phone, its audio quality, interface and build quality/handling. A Nokia C5 seems to be the next logical step, as it shares the form factor and has the more advanced Nokia S60 OS with the proper Ovi Maps 3.0 software, but I am hesitant to invest another 30 euros to dodge an issue that I could probably fix myself if I were on Nokia's S40 platform development team.

I'll share any response from Nokia's local (Dutch) support here when it arrives.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fiah

[ Edited ]

My local Nokia support team replied with the following:

Helaas is dit niet mogelijk in Nokia S40 Maps. Om dit te realiseren zal u eerst van A naar B dienen te navigeren en daarna als u bij B aangekomen bent van B naar C te navigeren.

This translates to:

Regrettably, this is not possible with Nokia S40 Maps. To accomplish this you need to navigate from A to B first and then, after arriving at B, you need to navigate to C.

So there you have it. I replied that the 2710's marketing creates expectations that it cannot deliver on and suggested that they forward my feedback to Nokia marketing.

If anyone is still reading this, I have a question: do you think that it is unreasonable to expect this device to navigate from A via B to C, based on it being marketed as having 'advanced navigation features'?

Please use plain text.
Professor
hgohel

Kudos for the follow-up and posting what you found - this helps others who will search before posting.

Lumia 920, Lumia 800
Nokia N8-00 (NAM, Product Code: 059C8T6), Symbian Belle, Type RM-596, 111.030.0609
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (NAM, Product Code: 0577454) Software v51.2.007, Type RM-428
Please use plain text.
slatey

hi,i have the same problem on my 5230. i try to avoid paris which adds an hour to my journey to go south but i think the software is not as mature as say tomtom at the moment. but i look forward to this being improved soon i hope because i love my nokia free sat nav to pieces and its free whoo hoo...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fiah

Hello everybody!

I just received word from Nokia Care that they forwarded my case to their development team. I hope that they're allowed the time to implement this feature!

Thank you Nokia Care for forwarding my case.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fiah

Well after receiving news of an update for my Nokia 2710, I went ahead and updated to the newest firmware version 9.67. I played around with it a bit and haven't found any improvement in the Nokia Maps software, functionality wise. I don't think this phone will be turned into a real alternative for a dedicated personal navigation device before it becomes totally obsolete, which in my opinion is a damn shame.

If or when any further software updates for the 2710 Navigation Edition become available, I'll update this thread with my findings on whether or not the update has improved the navigation aspect.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
hermanj

[ Edited ]

Hi Fiah,

It seems that I've got the same problem with my Nokia 6700 classic. I have made a nice route (with waypoints) on maps.ovi.com but due to the striped interface on the S40 it is not possible to upload it to the phone.

Is there another routing program that can do this on the S40 operating system? I have heard something about We-Travel navigation that is free. Don't know if it is any good.

I really hope that Nokia will update the Maps S40 interface.

Please use plain text.