Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Drawing a Blank - no detail (N95)

Counsellor

The map is still misaligned. Bristol is in the sea.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Please use plain text.
Advisor

corinthian181,

please excuse if you've already posted up with the details, but what versions of...Maps/firmware are you running? I've got an N95 with v 21.0.016 firmware and when I go to Options>About on my Maps, I have v20 wk21 b02. I upgraded from the old Maps to this one just by downloading the new .sis, installing it (I think I was given the option to uninstall the current version) then I used Map Loader to load up the UK. Pompey shows just fine for me.
Please use plain text.
Sage
cns18

I cannot see Nokia maps 2in the application folder inorder to delete it. Though it is present in the phone as i can launch the application from the menu.
I tried your tips on a brand new memory card and everything works fine on my N95 now.
However for my N82 i dont want to format memory card or phone as i have a lot of applications including mobile webserver running.
Connecting phone in data transfer mode and deleting mentioned files does not help in case of my N82.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Nokia_Maps_2.0_2102_3.1_u.sis
v20 wk21 b02

v20 firmware

So, pretty much the same as you
Please use plain text.

Hey all.

Im just wondering how you organise the folders if you have more than one set of maps? one for France and one for the UK say?

Cheers, Tim
Please use plain text.
Sage
diabo

You simply unzip to the cities\diskcache or Private\20001f63\diskcache folder and all files will end up in the right place, even if you put a hundred maps on your phone.
symbian programs & themes, nokia maps for any browser on any operating system of your choice, and other tricks to tame symbian: http://symbian.site666.info
Please use plain text.

How it worked for me

So I finally have a map on my N95 (mainly thanks to this thread) and I would like to share my knowledge how I did it.

I first installed Map Loader 2.0 and it was working OK. Then I downloaded all Europe map. After I thought the download was complete (in fact it wasnt..) because it said 100% finished and there was a cross to close the window, I pressed the cross and disconnected the cable, the message on my N95 said that the transmission was broken.. oops. Now I know.. after downloading the map, there should appear a blinking text that the drive info is being updated. Breaking the connection before this message was probably a cause of all further problems.

So on N95 I selected the Maps but they were empty. I mean, only yellow background instead of a map. Also, when loading "Maps" on N95, there was a message "mass memory almost full" (false, i still had 3.8 GB). So I tried to load again, but this time Map Loader was saying "Waiting for device" and was not working.

I connected N95 to my PC in storage mode and deleted "disk cache" and "private\20001f63\diskcache" folders. Didn't help, still waiting for device. Tried PC suit mode, restarted computer, tried again, nothing. Finally got it: these two folders must be deleted in storage mode and then recreated. Recreation only works by using "Map" on N95 when its correctly disconnected from PC. When its connected, using "Map" did not recreate anything.

After recreating these folders, being able to launch Map Loader again, this time I downloaded only 1 small map. And after downloading I waited 2 minutes untill the "Update disk info from PC" blinking message disappeared. And then the map appeared on my N95.

After this, I expect many problems with these software.
Please use plain text.

Hi,

i am from Germany so please excuse my bad english.

I have a question about the nokia maps which was answered, but i just don´t get it how this works.

So this question is especially for the user "diabo".

Since 3 days i am trying to get my nokia maps working. yesterday i got it working and i downloaded a map of germany from one of these direct links on your page. i unziped it and i got this folder structure 0-9 and a-f in it. ok, so i copied all these folders into the cities/diskcache folder on my nokia n95 8gb.

as it was ready, i disconected my phone from my pc and started nokia maps. i typed in a some german cities and it found everyone without any problems. i even drove 10 minuts with my car around and tested it and the navigation was very good.

so after that i downloaded a next map from austria. i extracted this one to my harddisk on my pc and then i copied it the same way into cities/diskcache on my nokia phone.

but here is the problem i am facing!

when my computer sees that there is already a folder, e.g.the folder "0", i get asked, if i want to include the data from the folder i am copying to the folder which is already on my phone.

when i say "yes", it includes all data. so far so good, but this is just working until some point:

after all it comes to a folder which already has a map in it, e.g. named "110.cdt". but the map that is copied into it is named "110.cdt" too!!

so i get asked, what i want to do?

1. do not copy the new map into it and let the map which is already in it stay?
2. overwrite the map already in the folder with the new one i am copying into it?
3. renam the new map into something like "110(2).cdt".

so then i have these problems:

1. if i don´t copy the new map, i don´t have a full map of a country, parts are missing.

2. if i copy the new map into it and overwrite the old one, it´s the same thing like in point 1. but on the other side, parts are missing from the first map.

3. if i renam one of the maps, nokia maps won´t recognize my maps.

so a user named "timbo999" asked you the same question and you replied:

"You simply unzip to the cities\diskcache or Private\20001f63\diskcache folder and all files will end up in the right place, even if you put a hundred maps on your phone."

and if i try exactly this thing you wrote, it comes to these problems i am now writing to you.

so can you explain, how i have to uderstand what you mean with your posting? how do i handle this without overwriting other cards??

it would be very nice if you could answer to my question, i am really frustrated about all this navigation stuff that won´t work how i expect it to do.

regards

ne0h
Please use plain text.
Sage
diabo

Hi ne0h,

I tested the germany and austria maps on my phone. Whether I said "yes" or "no" to the overwrite question made no difference: either way I got complete maps for germany and austria on my phone. So I guess the overwrite question is because of identical files that cover the border region between germany and austria.
symbian programs & themes, nokia maps for any browser on any operating system of your choice, and other tricks to tame symbian: http://symbian.site666.info
Please use plain text.

Hi diabo,

it´s funny, just 5 minutes ago i posted a solution for this on a german message board for nokia phones where i found the link to your page.

about one hour ago i thought about, how the maps look like and i came to the same answer, that these same parts must be the borders between countries which are side by side.

but i replace only every map file with the new one, if the new one is BIGGER in filesize than the one which is on the phone.

i think that this is som because the bigge parts have more map details for the new country you install there.

but thank you anyway, it helped me very much and i am glad it´s working now!! ;o)

have a good night

ne0h
Please use plain text.

Hi I have had the same problem, just a green screen, I followed the instructions above, and it now works perfectly. I think it is good value for £6 for 30 days. just to let you know if I can do it any one can and Im 55
thanks everso much for all the information on here.
Please use plain text.

Thank you!

Reformating was not necessary. I only removed everything from cities/diskcache. Othervice phone kept fetching maps from internet.

Lakes are misplaced at intermediate zoom level. This makes finding some small cities difficult. I installed first map of Finland then Estonia. There were files with same name, but  contents was same. Then I added Sweden.  Again files with same names, but now contents was different! I did not replace earlier ones, so now I don't have map of Stockholm:smileysad:

Please use plain text.

I have the same trouble in my E50, I have no gps and I cant see the maps. I try everithing, I have the last version of FW. but seems have no solution... I'm very dissapointed. Somebody could fix this problem?
Please use plain text.

Hi diabo,

great site you have congrats.

I just bought a n96 and I am kind of newby in this things. I was wondering if you could help me out.

I downloaded the maps and they open nicely on the cell phone and I am able to cruise around the map, the gps signals my position and everything.

My problem is, to actually use the gps function to go from place A to place B how can I do it? I have put the address on the box, I have searched for the address in the address list. When I do this last one, It asks me if I want to connect to to get the latest infos or the new versions and also the walk&drive; I say no because otherwise I will pay to download right? And then I get to the first screen and my route gets annulled.

Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance.

André

Please use plain text.
Sage
diabo

[ Edited ]

Hi André,

Route calculations used to be free a long time ago, but Nokia started charging money for it just like they do for voice navigation.

You can look at maps and search for addresses. Anything that involves something like "get from A to B" costs money in Nokia Maps, even if you don't use voice navigation.

If you just want to plan routes without voice navigation, try Mobile GMaps or We-Travel. Storing maps on your phone with these programs takes some time, but they'll calculate the route from A to B for free.

amAze does it for free too, but it won't let you store maps on your phone so you'll need mobile internet to use it.

Message Edited by diabo on 23-Sep-2009 03:18 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

can someone give me the simple ansewer of simple question?

I have downloaded India map zip file and there are 293 .cdt files in it... in the E:/Diskchsce folder structure there are 0 to 9 and a to f nearly 286 folders... 

Question 1) Do i have to put 293 files one by one in all these folders 

2) Or is there any specific folder in which i have to put all the files in one go.. where to put the .cdt files EXACTLLY

everyone is talking in code languge which is very hard to understand .. is there any simple why to understand and make maps working?.. i tried putting al the files on folder Diskchace ... but still i see green ground in the maps.. I have latest OVI Maps 3 on my N95 8GB. 

please help 

regards

nitin

Message Edited by nitinule on 08-Jan-2010 12:34 PM
Message Edited by nitinule on 08-Jan-2010 12:35 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Falh

ok
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

nitinule wrote:

I have downloaded India map zip file and there are 293 .cdt files in it... in the E:/Diskchsce folder structure there are 0 to 9 and a to f nearly 286 folders... 

1) Do i have to put 293 files one by one in all these folders 

2) Or is there any specific folder in which i have to put all the files in one go.. where to put the .cdt files 

Under Windows just drag decompressed .zip onto to E:\cities\diskcache and accept any prompts to overwrite/replace.

Upon Mac it requires a different procedure using "recursive" option.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks a lot buddy.. 

regards

:w00t:

Please use plain text.