Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: E52 - How to install OVI 3.01 back? 3.03 is a ...

Advisor
magradze
Accepted Solution

E52 - How to install OVI 3.01 back? 3.03 is a mess!

Hi,
I have just updated my OVI Maps 3.0 to 3.03 on my Nokia E52 which I regret a lot.

I don't have a dashboard, tools, internet connection setting is a mess, no compass controls... so some reasin it goes online with 3G and WLAN simultaneously. Before WLAN was a priority.

Can anyone tell me how can I install old ovi maps 3.01 (or whatever it was before) without reseting the whole phone? On the ovi website it gives me only new 3.03, no old ones.

Please HELP!
Thanks
David

Advisor
andreaccs

Re: E52 - How to install OVI 3.01 back? 3.03 is a mess!

Just go in the Application manager and delete the OVI MAP and if needed also the NOKIA MAP.

I did it to reinstall the OVI MAP again and it works.

Hope it work for you too

Advisor
magradze

Hi,

Tanks for reply.

I thought doind so, but  what do I install after uninstalling currnet one? I want old version i.e. 3.01 not new one. Where can I get this? OVI Maps website gives only new one 3.03

Hi Nokia!

I'd also like to know how to go back to the old version. Thanks very much Nokia for making Navigation for free, that is really awesome! But why did you guys mess up your software with that same move?

After changing the functionality of the left softkey, you obviously forgot to re-integrate the old functions that could be accessed by pressing that button.
1) Where's my places history?? After playing around with the new version for 15 minutes, I was able to access it - but I cannot reproduce this.
2) What about the information about my current position? (called 'Anzeigetafel' in German). Same story as for the history. Found it once but never again.
3) How can I now control online behaviour? Before, there was an 'go online' - menu point.
4) What did you do to the search function? This new simple input field just sucks! Before, Nokia Maps remembered the address I entered last time, so most of the time I only had to enter a new street name. Now, I always have to enter everthing - because I start with an empty input line. Please! That's really not an improvement!

Furthermore, there are a few more strange and very annoying things:
5) Why does Nokia Maps now always forget the last focus of the map? This is REALLY annoying, especially when your last GPS fix is already some time ago. And its even more annoying since I cannot access the places history anymore. Now everytime Nokia maps starts, I have to manually refocus the map or enter a full address into the search bar!!

6) Moving the 'Options'-Panel to the starting screen also wasn't a very smart choice - mainly because the map will lose its focus while I shortly want to change something. (i.e. 'go online')

7) 'Favorites' is implemented in an annoying way. When I select a Favorite, I'd like the map to keep focused on that favorite. I don't see any reason why it should jump between the favorites when I try to use the navigation bar to explore the area. (I have my own place and a friend's place stored next to each other in the list of favorites - the guy lives 800km far away. When I want the map to focus on my own place and then try to explore the area (press 'up'), Maps will instead move the focus to a completely different town. Strange behaviour, isn't it?

8) After installing Maps, my phone memory was reduced by about 14 MB. Didn't it remove the old version? Now, I have two things installed on my phone: 'Nokia Maps - 8MB' and 'Ovi Maps - 7MB', both version 3.03. The former is installed on the phone's memory, the latter on the SD-card. What happened to the rest of my memory? And what happened to the space the old version was using?

And finally - something I really would have liked to see being fixed:
9) About every application on my phone is kind enough to ask me which internet connection to use. Nokia maps is the only one that doesn't. All you can specify is that it should use an 'Internet connection'. Thanks a lot - that already made me pay an 20 bucks for data transfer because Maps downloaded a few megs via GPRS instead of Wifi.

To summarize, this update really wasn't any kind of improvement. I can see that you guys are trying to make navigation easier. But you really need to find someone to design a clean and logical menu structure - such that all functions can consistently be accessed - also while viewing the map.

Please make the old version available until you find a nice fix for the above problems!

Thanks,
D. Goehlsdorf

Advisor
magradze

Ucomania.

Please let us know if you'll find any solutions. There are so many functions lost on 3.03! 

Employee

Hi,

The downgrade process has been outlined already but to clarify:

1. Go to Application Installer on your device
  2. Uninstall any reference to Maps (Ovi Maps, Nokia Maps, Ovi Maps installer etc.)

This should then revert you back to the Previous version of Maps that was installed.

If you are then unable to start the previous version of Maps try deleting the .qf file and the cities folder.

If you still experience issues use Nokia Maps Updater to reinstall Maps 3.01.

KR
Chris

Although i work for Nokia, my opinions are my own!

Got a Maps query? Check our Maps FAQ's
Counsellor

I think the reason for this is to simplify things like google does. But if you are used to something else, you don't feel in control of things. And it's not working perfectly yet. As I also wrote in another thread, the Global search field functionality is very limited in offline mode, even if you have downloaded maps to to your phone. Try to search for various addresses in offline mode to a downloaded map, and then try online mode afterwards. Often the offline mode don't find anything.

Employee

Ucomania wrote:

Hi Nokia!

I'd also like to know how to go back to the old version. Thanks very much Nokia for making Navigation for free, that is really awesome! But why did you guys mess up your software with that same move?

After changing the functionality of the left softkey, you obviously forgot to re-integrate the old functions that could be accessed by pressing that button.
1) Where's my places history?? After playing around with the new version for 15 minutes, I was able to access it - but I cannot reproduce this.
2) What about the information about my current position? (called 'Anzeigetafel' in German). Same story as for the history. Found it once but never again.
3) How can I now control online behaviour? Before, there was an 'go online' - menu point.
4) What did you do to the search function? This new simple input field just sucks! Before, Nokia Maps remembered the address I entered last time, so most of the time I only had to enter a new street name. Now, I always have to enter everthing - because I start with an empty input line. Please! That's really not an improvement!

Furthermore, there are a few more strange and very annoying things:
5) Why does Nokia Maps now always forget the last focus of the map? This is REALLY annoying, especially when your last GPS fix is already some time ago. And its even more annoying since I cannot access the places history anymore. Now everytime Nokia maps starts, I have to manually refocus the map or enter a full address into the search bar!!

6) Moving the 'Options'-Panel to the starting screen also wasn't a very smart choice - mainly because the map will lose its focus while I shortly want to change something. (i.e. 'go online')

7) 'Favorites' is implemented in an annoying way. When I select a Favorite, I'd like the map to keep focused on that favorite. I don't see any reason why it should jump between the favorites when I try to use the navigation bar to explore the area. (I have my own place and a friend's place stored next to each other in the list of favorites - the guy lives 800km far away. When I want the map to focus on my own place and then try to explore the area (press 'up'), Maps will instead move the focus to a completely different town. Strange behaviour, isn't it?

8) After installing Maps, my phone memory was reduced by about 14 MB. Didn't it remove the old version? Now, I have two things installed on my phone: 'Nokia Maps - 8MB' and 'Ovi Maps - 7MB', both version 3.03. The former is installed on the phone's memory, the latter on the SD-card. What happened to the rest of my memory? And what happened to the space the old version was using?

And finally - something I really would have liked to see being fixed:
9) About every application on my phone is kind enough to ask me which internet connection to use. Nokia maps is the only one that doesn't. All you can specify is that it should use an 'Internet connection'. Thanks a lot - that already made me pay an 20 bucks for data transfer because Maps downloaded a few megs via GPRS instead of Wifi.

To summarize, this update really wasn't any kind of improvement. I can see that you guys are trying to make navigation easier. But you really need to find someone to design a clean and logical menu structure - such that all functions can consistently be accessed - also while viewing the map.

Please make the old version available until you find a nice fix for the above problems!

Thanks,
D. Goehlsdorf

I am sorry you did not find Ovi Maps 3.03 an improvement to the service. I will pass your feedback on to R&D.

KR
Chris
Although i work for Nokia, my opinions are my own!

Got a Maps query? Check our Maps FAQ's
Advisor
haeberle

Hello Nokia, hi Chris,

thanks very much indeed for making Nokia Maps a free service. This is really a clever move, going from a business model that was totally bananas (subscription - duh!) to the one and only thing: Building brilliant hardware, and giving the software for free. A friend of mine (a keen Samsung user) just said "that'll be the final reason to by a Nokia S60 phone".

However, here's my confirmation that uninstalling v3.03 from an E52 works: Remove 2 apps related to "Nokia maps" or "Ovi Maps", one in RAM, one on SD card, and that brings back the built-in version (which was not uninstalled, because it resides in the firmware). That's it.

You may wonder why I know this: I too uninstalled 3.03 to get my old version back, free navigation not balancing the huge step back 3.03 made in terms of usefulness and usability. I had tried the betalabs version before, and uninstalled it as well, thinking: "They're trying out a few new things, but I'm sure they will keep the good ones from the old version". No, they didn't :-)

Namely, I second the motion to bring back (summarizing) the "Anzeigetafel" (Info Panel) in moving map mode, use the form-based search again (or make the simple one use wildcards properly - "Eiff Par" should find the Eiffel Tower in Paris), make me choose where to install the app (a 12 MB RAM footprint is HUGE, from 38 MB free to 26!), give me the choice between UMTS and WLAN, give me back Traffic Information (or make it easier to find when not in navigation mode) ...

And while you are at it, integrate an easy option to turn A-GPS on and off (no data transfer in foreign countries), make the options menu more context / situation sensitive, do not so much make a difference in available functions when navigating and when not ... just look at the Garmins, TomToms and Igos (the latter is brilliantly intuitive) in the world, and not at Apple and Google - they still have to make their homework.

And in the meantime, while you fix these things to make me want to take out my Nokia in front of an iPhone user, simply give away free license keys for the existing Nokia / Ovi Maps versions. Shouldn't be a problem to make the navigation available to Nokia owners this way, should it? And while you are at it, PLEASE include the S40 versions as well - I shelled out quite a lot for my 6300i, and having navigation for free would make me very happy.

And, please understand me right: This is not about booing free software, this is a long-time Nokia user (8 Phones until now) finally seeing a chance to have a real iPhone-Killer in his hands :-)

Cheers,

A. 

Registered Member

I totally agree with those complains.

This new and free version is really a mess.

Another thing I noticed is about the new perspective of the "red dot" (car position).

Now its running sideways into the roads/streets...

Sorry but I'll go back to the older version.   

bogeskov

[ Edited ]

I'm right there with you...

I've found a workaround for 1&4 though.

1) In "map-mode"

2) move the cursor, so that it's not on "my position".

3) select "add to route"

4) modify your selection to "my position"

5) add a new point to your route, and you get a menu that includes search history, and the "old" address search

6) add your destination.

7) "Show route"

8) "Start driving"

(I'm not sure what the correct english names for the actions are, since my application isn't in english, but you should be able to figure it out)

This is a humongous set of actions, for sonething that should be easy accessable. through the menu when you press "enter" on "My position" by 2 menu points "Walk to..." and "Drive to..."

/Bogeskov

Contributor
Vitruviux

I agree with everyone here, Ovi Maps is a MESS and is a much weaker application missing tons of functions from Nokia Maps.

Is a different team working on Ovi Maps? how could leave out so many useful functions?

You can't even align map to the route now....

Contributor
barrymiller

Fortunately I had done a backup using Nokia backup  - I was able to do a restore of user files on phone -  This put me back to older version. I am going to do anew backup of  "user files on phone" and keep it

Contributor
barrymiller

Does anyone have an Install copy of fthe original maps  - ie  the sis file.

Contributor
barrymiller

In answer  to the person who said just delete the program  - I am back to 3.01 and I used Program installer  from Nokia suite which says I now have Nokia maps installed  size about 3.8 megs ??? forgotten exact figure and Ovi maps installed about 6.xx megs  but my phone is back to old maps. Maybe because I restored  settings  whilst doing  a restore to get me back to old maps 3.1

Counsellor

The newest version is 3.04. Are you sure that isn't good enough for you? Works perfect on my nokia 6730 classic.

Counsellor
Trixolina

A new update came out just last week. Maybe you will like that one better.

Advisor
haeberle

Re: E52 - How to install OVI 3.01 back? 3.03 is a mess! And keeps on being one!

Hi,

you mean the 3.(0)4 version? Tried it, and immediately uninstalled it, because it crashed & restarted my phone every time I started the maps application.

Which might very well happen because of a lack of memory - before the install, there were 20 MB free on c:, after the install, only 7,5 MB. Which brings me to some other important points:

• Why is Nokia one of the few companies who can't manage to install software on the SD memory card? 12.5 Megs of precious Phone Memory for the Maps Update???
  • Nokia also seems to be one of the few companies who can't manage the portrait/landscape format switch. Maps 3.03 does NOT turn sideways when you turn the E52. And the display for incoming calls doesn't, too. ???

(BTW: The other program that robbed me of 15MB of phone memory was Quickoffice (Premium 6.0 update for Nokia E Series phones), but at least they say on their website that it's due to Symbian OS restrictions. But I can't even uninstall this, because it doesn't show up in the installation manager - doh!)

Please do not give me any advice in the forms of "hard reset" / "clear everything" etc., because Maps after v3.01 is just not worth the trouble. As long as I can get map updates for Garmin XT (which works perfectly and takes up NO phone memory), and sometimes use Google Maps, I have my navigation solution.

Thus I can patiently wait until the current maps version appears in a future firmware update and doesn't eat up memory (like I did with 3.03). Then I will update, and maybe use it, or not. Whatever.

My Tipp to Nokia: Put the Nokia Maps developers in a room with a few devices running IGO MyWay, and don't let them out until they have developed something similarily useable, fast and powerful for Symbian. Or just buy the whole IGO company. But whoops, sorry, the already program for Android, iPhone, Samsung and LG .. :smileyvery-happy: