Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E72 - Ovi Maps - phone freezing - software update ...

Counsellor
bartusderidder

E72 - Ovi Maps - phone freezing - software update issues - taking long time to lock....

Hi,

Here are my issues with an otherwise fine Nokia E72.

-I had some problems using the navigation and Ovi maps: from time to time my phone would just freeze when I opened Ovi maps. I couldn't even switch off my phone in the proper way. The only option was to take out the battery. After restarting the phone, navigation/Ovi maps would work just fine.

-Just a couple of days ago I update my phone software (as recommended by Nokia and announced by email). Using Ovi Suite on my PC it said there was an update for phone software available and for Ovi maps.

-First I updated my phone. First attempt failed, but when I put in my memory card, the update was installed properly.

-Then I tried to update the Ovi maps to version 3.4 (my phone connected to my PC via USB cable). However each time it would tell me "update failed, try again later, or reboot your PC and try again"...nothing worked.

-So I tried updating from my phone, going to Control panel > phone > Sw-update. It tells me I have a Ovi maps 3.4 available for installation. However when I try installing I get a failure notice.

-Now comes the funny part: when I look at my Sw-update history, it stay I  already have version 3.4 installed on my phone. However, when I look at the "about" of my Ovi maps it says version 3.04 !!!! After my phone has been indoors for a while, the GPS simply won't work anymore....I've already disabled positioning via Wifi or network.

-Even though I have updated my phone software from version 3 to version 5, still Ovi maps causes my phone to crash from time to time, making it freeze and unable to switch off in a normal way.

Anybody any suggestions for this annoying problem?

Thanks in advance.

Bart

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: E72 - Ovi Maps - phone freezing - software update issues - taking long time to lock....

Hi Bart

Whilst in OVI Maps > Options > Support > About and check whether you are using v3.04 10wk32 b03; although OVI Maps pre-installed in firmware it won't be this latest version, which may account for the issues still experienced.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartusderidder

Re: E72 - Ovi Maps - phone freezing - software update issues - taking long time to lock....

Hi,

This is the version of Ovi maps I'm using:

v3.04 10wk17b07 MW OpenGL LM MN

Map version 0.1.24.114

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Bart

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

bartusderidder wrote: 

This is the version of Ovi maps I'm using:

v3.04 10wk17b07 MW OpenGL LM MN

Map version 0.1.24.114 

Hi bartusderidder

That is the cause of your issue here and I know that you have problems trying to update OVI Maps. If you go to Menu > Ctrl. panel > App. mgr. > Installed apps. - do you have instances of both OVI + Nokia Maps? If you go to Options > View details - what version(s) is/are installed 3.04(165)? Might have suggested un-installing superfluous versions.

I was a bit concerned when you said in another post that E72 would not update without memory card in place as wonder whether corrupt data being perpetuated here.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartusderidder

Hi again,

About the updating failing without memory card, I got a failure notice: "non-commercial software present"...Once I put in my memory card, the phone software updated went fine.

About the Ovi/Nokia maps. This is what I found in Installed Apps:

-Nokia maps (6 MB - saved on phone's memory) version 3.04 (165)

-Ovi maps (8MB - saved on my memory card)  version 3.04 (165)

-Ovi maps Wi-Fi/Network Positioning version 3.02 (6) (mind you, I did disable positioning through Wi-Fi/Network !)

I'm curious what the solution will be...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
renesse

I just wanted to say I just bought the phone, didn't install the maps yet, but have the same updating failure as you do: "non-commercial software present"... Just to show it not just you. Hope you guys can solve this. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi bartusderrider

The latest version of Nokia/OVI Maps would be 3.04(278).

Setting aside the need to backup essential data first due to loss of all data, if you really want latest version of OVI Maps on your E72 use Application Manager to uninstall OVI Maps on memory card and Nokia Maps on phone memory if it lets you. Format memory card and then carry out three key power on reset of E72 to return to "Out of the box" condition. Try to update OVI Maps application at this point.

Due to UDP = User Data Preservation feature of your E72 sometimes corrupt settings can be perpetuated.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartusderidder

Thanks again for your time and support...

Resetting, formatting, reinstalling everything again... :smileysad: pfff not quite what I like...

It doesn't really matter to me if it's the latest version of Ovi maps, just want to application to work and not to make my phone freeze anymore...

Do you think I could just uninstall Ovi Maps (do I need to uninstall Nokia maps too?) and then try to install the latest version?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi bartusderidder

You can try deleting existing installations and I might suggest that you drag maps_installer_3.04_10wk32_b03_s60_3.2.sis onto memory card use File Manager on E72 to locate and try installing application from there.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartusderidder

Hi Scoobyman,

Thanks again for pointing me into the direction of a solution, but since I'm rather illiterate when it comes to IT stuff, I'm going ask you some more (probably silly) questions:

-I tried using the File Manager, going through my phone and my memory, but I can't seem to find that maps_installer_3.04_10wk32_b03_s60_3.2.sis. The only file I can find is on my Memory Card > Backups > maps_installer_3.04_10wk17_b07_s60_3.2Nocs.sis.

-deleting existing installations: both Ovi maps and Nokia maps? (see previous posts above)

-When I go to Control Panel > Phone > Sw-update: it indeed gives me that version 3.4 (278) available for installation.  Can you tell me how I can locate and drag that file to my memory card, like you suggest?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi bartusderidder

No worries, I am suggesting that you download latest version of OVI Maps from here:http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/maps-support/compatibility-and-download#/nokia-e72/

If you don't have a card reader you could always connect E72 in "Mass storage" mode and drag

maps_installer_3.04_10wk32_b03_s60_3.2.sis onto memory card.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartusderidder

[ Edited ]

Ok, downloaded that latest version .sis file ontop my desktop.

If I connect my phone as "Mass Storage"...any suggestion to which (sub)folder I should drag that file?

Which installations should I delete? Ovi maps only or also Nokia maps?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi bartusderidder

I usually create a new folder called "Software" and place installation .sis files for any applications applied to device here for future need if phone restored to factory settings for any reason. I would try to un-install both if it will let you and I would have also delete E:\CITIES + .qf file if you are trying to convince it to start from scratch.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartusderidder

Hi scoobyman,

I followed your instructions and HURRAY! it seems like I've managed to delete that old version and install the latest version of Ovi maps...

Got into my car, switched on navigation, almost instant lock...so far, so good...only (funny) thing is, Ovi maps seems to have lost the "speed cameras" again. In the old version, it would show on the map where the speed cameras are...

Any suggestions?

But thanks a million so far!

Best wishes,

Bart

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi bartusderidder

Credit to you for persevering with this issue. I don't know whether you had to delete E:\CITIES to get it to work but unfortunately 1.0.0.32.europe.cdt is found in E:\CITIES\diskcache\safetyspots and may have been deleted also, if so my apologies for not getting you to copy it to desktop.

Provided that OVI Maps is "Online" go to Options > Settings > Navigation and ensure that it is as in screenshot here:http://i53.tinypic.com/2506now.jpg although "Safety spot warner" may be set to "On" or "Only visual" according to preference and file should be downloaded.

If still problems let us know.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartusderidder

Hi scoobyman,

Safety spot warner is set to "on".

Yes, following your instructions I deleted E:\CITIES right away...

I checked my memory card:

E:\CITIES\diskcache\safetyspots and it has a "safetyspots" subfolder with in it a file called "europe.zip.dnl" when I click on it, it turns into 1.0.0.32.europde.cdt ....Anything else I should do?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartusderidder

forgot to ask: "...although "Safety spot warner" may be set to "On" or "Only visual" according to preference and file should be downloaded..."

Which file should be downloaded?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

[ Edited ]

Hi bartusderidder

1.0.0.32.europe.cdt is downloaded when OVI Maps application is in "Online" mode although access point may be WLAN if preferred.

Here is a screenshot http://i55.tinypic.com/2eq9bau.jpg and you don't need to be navigating for them to be revealed, just go to Drive > Map and zoom around.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bartusderidder

Yep, I knew about just zooming around revealing speed cameras, and tried already, but unfortunately no speed cameras can be seen :-(

Although the speed cameras are gone in Ovi maps, I doubt it they'll be gone in real life too ;-)

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi bartusderidder

Perhaps suggest trying go to Menu > Ctrl. panel > Settings > General > Positioning > Positioning methods and enable Assisted GPS, Integrated GPS, WiFi/Network & Network based and in OVI Maps application > Options > Settings > Internet > Connection "Online" and see if makes any difference; I can't remember whether or not you need to sign in to OVI Maps to get it working in the first instance unfortunately.

Another suggestion might be to download maps for Sydney, Australia using OVI Suite and whilst OVI Maps is "Online" see if you can get it to download 1.0.0.10.australia.cdt by going to Drive > Map and zoom out from present position and zoom back in on Sydney to street level. If you get it to work with one it will probably work with the other.

Sorry running out of ideas now.

Please use plain text.