Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Free navigation with ovi maps

Mobile Overlord
farby

mccoy1 wrote:
On my n97, finding the position needs internet. On offline mode, the red dot in the big black square just flashes forever and nothing happens

Do you need internet even in open space (no obstructions to signals by means of walls/trees)?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

In my experience if you are using integratd GPS for the first time, you'll have to give it at least 30min to as much as 3hrs to get the first ever fix. Works faster afterwards. However if you close it and travel an excess of 15km before you open it again, it will behave as if its opening for the first time again.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have tested the navigation a little this morning....

I can't choose swedish as language for voice guidance when walking.

This is strange for two reasons; It is possible when navigating in a car and swedish is an official language in Finland....

It's also (still) irritating that the GPS locks on to roads, even if you choose walking in the settings menu. When navigating for walking, the dot unlocks after a while, but not when you walk without navigating.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

For walking you can select "straight line" from the options so it will not lock to roads.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

chanchan05 wrote:
In my experience if you are using integratd GPS for the first time, you'll have to give it at least 30min to as much as 3hrs to get the first ever fix. Works faster afterwards. However if you close it and travel an excess of 15km before you open it again, it will behave as if its opening for the first time again.

thanks for the reply, but i don't get "for the first time" bit.  

Today, i was repeating something I have tried before: put ny N95 & N97 side by side and all under the same settings(both phones in offline modes, integrated gps, i'e no acess to the internet ), I went to GPS data (instead of ovi map) and clicked navigation. The n95 locked to satellites with 2 mins while the N97 still has a screen that reads "waiting for GPS". I left both mobiles at the exact positions and went for  lunch, and came back. The N97 was still saying "waiting for GPS". I left them again, and ent shopping, came back 4 hours later: the n95 was still locked, but N97 still waiting for GPS. However this time, I left the navigation window undisturbed and clicked on OVI map, then my position: N97 didn't tell me my position while N95 pointed me to a neighbour's house (2 houses away, which is wan't too bad if were not actually serious about knowing where you are).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

By first time, I meant several instances:

1. Opening Maps for the first time using Integrated GPS (new bought for example). This also applies to using Integrated GPS alone for the first time (all prior usages had AGPS/network enabled).

2. When opening the maps for the first time in an area more than 10-15km from the last time one closed it.

However by your example, it would appear you have a faulty GPS chip or a software issue. Have you tried using a different GPS app?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

"For walking you can select "straight line" from the options so it will not lock to roads."

-Yes, when navigating, but not if you just start Maps to see where you are while walking...

My 6700 is even worse, I can only choose between "car, shortest way" and "car, fastest way" in the navigation menu.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@mikebike - 6700 classic or slide? If you are using classic, the s40 maps application has less features and capabilities than s60 maps. I for one did not notice my maps 3.04 to lock to roads when I use the My Position option. It points to my location even without roads.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have the 6700 Classic, but I guess that my version of Maps isn't the latest. I haven't updated it since I bought the phone in june.

Sounds promising that your phone doesn't lock on to roads as mine does. I tested it today on my way from the grocery, 3 blocks away. The point only moved twice, to the first intersection, and then to the next. It never moved the last 80 meters to my home (programmed waypoint)

Please use plain text.
9MMAS

I'm using the 5230, and I'm having basically the same problem.

The problem seems to have started after I updated OVI Maps a couple of days back. Before this, it was possible to navigate offline with predownloaded map. After the update, OVI Maps keep downloading massive amounts of data even though the particular country map has already been downloaded. If I refuse the connection, the GPS map draws a blank.

/t5/Maps-Navigation-and-GPS/OVI-Maps-keeps-wanting-to-download-data-after-update/td-p/757621

I'm not so much bothered about the connection, as I am about the fact that I used to be able to use GPS without connecting. I'm on an unlimited data plan, but my provider does not have 3G in a lot of places. Did Nokia modify something in the latest OVI Map update?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

mccoy1 wrote:

thanks for the reply, but i don't get "for the first time" bit.  

Today, i was repeating something I have tried before: put ny N95 & N97 side by side and all under the same settings(both phones in offline modes, integrated gps, i'e no acess to the internet ), I went to GPS data (instead of ovi map) and clicked navigation. The n95 locked to satellites with 2 mins while the N97 still has a screen that reads "waiting for GPS". I left both mobiles at the exact positions and went for  lunch, and came back. The N97 was still saying "waiting for GPS". I left them again, and ent shopping, came back 4 hours later: the n95 was still locked, but N97 still waiting for GPS.

Didn't some N97s have a known hardware problem with their GPS receiver, which needed a fix at customer care center? Your N97 may be one of those?

On my E66, it can take quite sweet time to get a mere GPS lock (without A-GPS), but your example sounds extreme. I think the longest time I've had to wait was like 15 minutes, usually it comes in less than 5 minutes.

Ps. Maybe I am imaging it, but to me it seems the GPS lock comes faster if I am driving around, instead of just standing in one place (under clear sky). I can't think any technical reason for this though, I'd think it takes longer to get a GPS fix when moving around.

Please use plain text.