Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

GPS on nokia 5800

Contributor

GPS on nokia 5800

GPS not working in my nokia 5800
every time its giving error msg satellite not found
Mobile Sensei

Re: GPS on nokia 5800

Try upgrading the firmware (a v11 just became available):
http://www.nokia.com/softwareupdate

Also, check that you have A-GPS enabled and a valid GPRS packet data access point configured (and specified/defined for the Maps application).
Advisor

I can't get GPS to work either. I upgraded to last version, have A-GPS enabled and still doesn't work. I tried several locations. I'll go to service to have it checked. Really anoyng, I have it for 2 days and already i have problems :smileysad:
Contributor

Same problem here no satellite found...I bought in NY and worked fine there....went to south america ..nothing....miami nothing...now in Mid east same thing...no satellites found...

Any idea.
Registered Member

17-Jan-2009 09:39 PM
jsapo wrote:
Same problem here no satellite found...I bought in NY and worked fine there....went to south america ..nothing....miami nothing...now in Mid east same thing...no satellites found...

Any idea.

Same problem in India as well, I am not able to get connectivity any where... the message indicates that the phone is waiting for GPS ... although the phone finds the satellite but the signal is poor. I tried updating the software also, doesnt work

I got this phone on 19 jan-09. This was the 1st GPS phone, and GPS used to work very poor. If hardly ever found a satelite.Moreover I had a major problem. After making 2 or 3 calls repeatedly, on the next call the volume will on the handset default speaker will go down although it is set to max. The only way to continue conversation is to switch to speaker phone or plug in the handsfree.

I tried to get a replacament but couldn't get it- However after getting the 2 days old phone serviced by NOKIA CARE, the handset speaker problem is fixed and also GPS is working 10 times better.

The same phone connects easily: I am not using A-GPS so not paying any subscription, but using the free service only. Yes, I have to launch (Menu>Application>Location) before launching Nokia Maps. After you launch these 2 applications, it will take 1 min to sync with the satellites (min 3 out of 32 available satellite)

Hi all

I have the below problem in N5800:

when i click on GPS data from Location they massege me: "serching for for GPS divece" then "calculating GPS data" then after 1 minute give me this massege: GPS work poorly indoor and closed area

Note: then i go to the satellite status and nothing 

Can any body help please

Contributor

Well guys bad and good news

I have sent email to Nokia customer care center in the US where I bought the phone and....this is the update

their support on the phone told me that I need to send it to Alabama repair center

thing that I need to do before the warranty expires …as they told me 1 year

Menas I will have to go back to the US for this (I wish)

But...

I was able to download google maps into the phone regardless said is not compatible...and it works

small thing you will need is a WiFi spot or access to the internet from your service provider

This somehow helped me becuase in Nokia Maps there are no maps for the regions we are move in.

If you ask me how it find me in the map by usnig the internet I really dont know but it found me and gave me directions how to travel to X place

I also sent them question regarding the firmware that my phone says i m up to date when I see posts here that talks about a version 11.xx when my phone is on 10.xx

I ll be waiting for Nokia or any if can help with the GPS thing

petrib wrote:
Try upgrading the firmware (a v11 just became available):
http://www.nokia.com/softwareupdate

Also, check that you have A-GPS enabled and a valid GPRS packet data access point configured (and specified/defined for the Maps application).

Hi Petrib, my name is Francisco.

I have a Nokia 5800 Xpress Music American Version.

I tried to use the nokia maps, but looks like it is a payed service and because of this I started to use a Garmin Mobile XT  that I already had before buying the phone wich is fully compatible with the phone.

I have two questions, first: is the nokia maps a payed service? If it is not, how could I use it if every time I ask it to trace a route it shows a warning asking me to connect to the nokia on line and then I got the prices message and the payments options? Second: is it possible to use A-GPS with the Garmin software? If it is, how do I enable it or how can I make sure that it is enabled?

The time that the phone takes until it is synchronized with the satellites is too big. More than 5 to 10 minutes.

Best regards,

Francisco Almeida

i have bought 5800 too n its working absolutly fine//go to the location menu//then im position//got to open area //where there is no obstruction like walls etc.n u  should be standing beneath sky//u wud get the signals!!it will work//try
Registered Member

Change srver address to: ((supl.nokia.com)) word by word shoud be used and do not use www or http!
Contributor

i have problems with my phone gps.i have the latest firmware 40 and i cant get my position on my phone outdoors.i have olso problems with my maps.when i try to download maps with maploader i get the message"connect storage medium"and stop.ihave olso problems with my ovi pc siute cant find my phone.the only thing i can use is mass storage.can any one help me??:confused:pls excuse my english)

Counsellor
gavinnz

OK Kthaleen try this:

Did the GPS receiver work before you upgraded the firmware to 40.0....?

1.Make sure everything (except perhaps Bluetooth GPS) is turned on under Applications/Location/Positioning/Positioning methods, and that you have a valid positioning server and access point. Your phone service provider should know these, the Server address should be (I believe for everywhere worldwide) "supl.nokia.com". Also remember the GPS receive antenna is top left side of the phone so do not cover it with your hand. If you tap "Location/GPS data" you should see the current GPS details after a short while, and under "GPS data/Position/Options/Satellite status" you can tell if the GPS receiver is seeing satellites.  If everything is switched on correctly but it sees no satellites when you are outside it is probably a hardware fault and repair is needed.

If it can get a GPS fix OK but Maps does not work then you just need to remove then reinstall Ovi Maps. Or try Google Maps for Mobile which does work on this phone (although it costs money to download map data on the move).

2. USB connectivity -it seems as though your USB driver is not correctly installed.  Uninstall PC Suite completely and then reinstall a freshly downloaded copy of PC Suite or Ovi Suite. That should install new USB drivers.  I believe you have to be connected in PC Suite mode for the map loader to work with the 5800XM.