Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Garmin Mobile XT on E52

Advisor
demoiselle

i was able to get a satellite lock but it's fluctuating, and my garmin xt is still crashing. version is already 5.00.60.

any updates if your garmin is stable with e52? thanks!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
demoiselle

is it stable? are you using 5.00.60?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Mine crashes as well. On the latest version. Phone currently with Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
demoiselle

hi, why is your unit with nokia? what problems were you experiencing?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Not sure. They've had it for almost 4 weeks and seem to be totally incompetent at getting back to me. I have called them 5 times and still no response from their technical advisors. Their customer service advisors are technically clueless and are no help at all.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

My phone is a week old... exactly the same model and problem. after a couple of times rerouting it shutsdown.. i have version 5.50. not considering to update since many say that the problem is still there..
Please use plain text.

I'm using the latest version, crashes every 10 minutes of so, really frustrating.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
demoiselle

mine as well, one trick i do for garmin not to crash is i don't go into the Map page, i just stay in the home page. anyway it will alert me if i will need to make a turn. or sometimes, i just stay in the route details page. that way, crashing problem is minimized.

i hope somebody would be able to find a fix for this! or better yet firmware update.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Nokia finally contacts with me with details that they have replaced the motherboard on my E52. I will collect it this weekend and see if they actually did a QA check on it after the replacement and see how they actually tested and verified that it is working.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
demoiselle

that's good to hear.

what problems were you having that made you take it to the service center? restarting problem? or just the garmin problem?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Problems include VOIP, weak/no GPS lockon when not using AGPS, driving speed dropping to 0 every other second when using Ovimaps, weak GSM/3G signal, etc etc....

They replaced the motherboard (said the other one was faulty but couldn't explain to me what was faulty). Same firmware. Testing Garmin for stability but it won't lockon without AGPS. Damn....

Please use plain text.

Having tried the new update, but still experiencing the same problems, I researched A-GPS further and found that when I switched it off, and just used the integrated GPS, I did not suffer the problem of it crashing. Initially at first it is slower finding the satellite, therefore what I do is to turn A-GPS on (bearing in mind this is using data connection over your network, I have a free internet package) and allow Garmin to use that whilst I input where it is I want to go, via the Nokia SETTINGS, GENERAL, POSITIONING, POSITIONING METHODS, ASSISTED GPS; making sure INTEGRATED GPS is turned on also. The POSITIONING SERVER, also under the same options needs to be on, I set this to automatic. Once Garmin has calculated my route, I turn both ASSISTED GPS and the POSITIONING SERVER off, leaving INTEGRATED GPS on, then go to the remote GPS option which is the signal bars at the top of the Garmin screen and change this to find the integrated GPS within the phone. It may lose the signal for a moment but soon enough it finds it again, and away I go...
Please use plain text.

Regarding no GPS lock with AGPS disabled...

I had the same problem until I did a 'restore factory settings'. You may wanna backup 

stuff before you do this. Although I've noticed a lot of settings are still there.

But you need to reconfigure your phone again as if it where new.

(maybe it's possible to backup and restore phone settings as well?)

Anyway, after factory reset I got lock. Notice that the yellow bar keeps blinking a long time and 

only when it has lock all of the sudden multiple green bars appear. 

The first lock after doing restore factory settings took 10 - 15 minutes. After that it has had lock 

within a minute or so.

Regarding Garmin Mobile XT, mine keeps crashing as well. Tried 2D card and 3D card, no difference.

.50 version and .60 version. No difference. I expect either Nokia or Garmin will come with an update.

E52 is quite new so I'm not surprised of crashes.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Has anyone tried older Garmin Versions like 41080 or smth else. May be the old ones will work. And another thing. Does the phone crashes when not using the Garmin. I mean that if crashes while using it and after that you restart and DeInstall the Garmin or just not use it will the phone continue to crash?
Please use plain text.

After doing some surfing I've noticed that virtually all existing mobile navigation solutions available

for the E52 are struggling with crashes.

The only navigation solution currently working quite stable is Nokia's own Ovi Maps.

Though I've seen this one crashing once as well. This was on the 21.something firmware.

On the newest 22.something firmware no crashes of Ovi Maps yet. Though no improvement

on other navigation solutions. They keep crashing.

Companies seem to be investigating the issues. Let's hope they are able to resolve them.

Weird though because S60 has been around quite long. FP2 maybe the problem. Don't know. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Problem is back light of navigation software as I read in iPmart.bg forum. So I instal "Lights On", switch off display light of Garmin and 4 days evereting is OK. But from "Lights On" remain one process witch must be terminated after using Garmin in order to save batery - can be done with any taskman.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

emil22 wrote:
Problem is back light of navigation software as I read in iPmart.bg forum. So I instal "Lights On", switch off display light of Garmin and 4 days evereting is OK. But from "Lights On" remain one process witch must be terminated after using Garmin in order to save batery - can be done with any taskman.

if this is true, it should work also with the settings, shouldn't it? i did not test it yet, but under extras (in the main screen) and then settings their is the option display. and their under point one is light on/off and when it is supposed to be on. should this work then too?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
zeyunal

Mine crashes as well. On the latest version.And my another navigation programs as well (sygic mcguider 3.52,NDrive navigation) but working only Route66 and Nokia Ovi Maps 3.01 is working very well.
Zeynel UNAL
Software Developer and I.T. Management
Nokia E52 User

Computer Challanger TM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I installed Garmin XT on my E52 but he doesn't go any further then "Searching for GPS device...".

Can somebody tell me what I did wrong? Probably something that will be obvious for most people but I'm new with a smartphone...

Thx

Please use plain text.

On the E72 GMXT run much better if yuo switch 3D view off.
Please use plain text.