Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Garmin Sat. Nav. on 5800

Counsellor

Garmin Sat. Nav. on 5800

Hi,

I have been told that I can purchase the one off fee of the european map by Garmin to be installed in my Nokia 5800 xpressMusic phone.

At present I have a Garmin Sat Nav which covers the whole of europe.

It seems to me that I can sell it and pay the one off fee to install the garmin europe sat nav into my mobile phone.
As I live in London, I already have the UK navigation in the phone.
Question:

Do you know if it is really possible to place the Garmin map into the phone? Are there subscription fees for this or is it just a one off fee?, etc...

If true then where do i get this please?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hary536

Re: Garmin Sat. Nav. on 5800

hi, 

I also would like to know the same thing, if its possible to load Garmin US maps for Nokia 5800 US version?

If you like my post, hit the Kudo button on the right! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

You would have to check on the Garmin web site if they have a compatible version for this phone. I would also advise you to check what the 'one-time' fee that you have heard of includes, ie: do you get software and map data updates with the package? Remember that roads change often so data needs regular updates.

Nokia Maps may require a regular licence purchase, but you are guaranteed regular free updates to both the software and the map data. Also, Nokia Maps 3.0 (which is still in Beta version but allegedly due for full launch soon), the licences will be cheaper and cover more - national licences will be no more and you will get at least a regional licence (such as Europe, North America, etc.) for less than the current price of the cheapest Maps 2.0 licence.

Please use plain text.
Sage
travla

Support for Nokia 5800 was added to Garmin Mobile XT V5.00.30 (see http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3939 under Change History).

I'm currently using it on my N85, and it is very stable compared to Nokia Maps 2.0 (haven't tried Maps 3.0). Re-routing is fast, and there is plenty of customisation available. You only have to pay for the software and the maps for the region you want, and that is it, no ongoing charges (unless you want Map updates, in which case you would have to pay for the update).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

travla

If you found this post helpful, please click on the green "Kudos!" star. Cheers!
Please use plain text.