Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

How to locate current position and navigator witho...

PaulNguyen

How to locate current position and navigator without internet

Hi, I am using Nokia N8 with lastest version of Ovi map. It said that I can download offline map from Ovi suite and use built-in GPS to navigating. But after downloading UK map, Ovi map even could not locate my current position and navigate (still saying waiting for GPS). Note that i was not connecting to internet and map was in offline mode. Anyone know to use Ovi map offline as a proper navigator because I can see others GPS on vehicle could still work without internet. Thanks
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: How to locate current position and navigator without internet

[ Edited ]

For getting the GPS Lock (Initial positioning)..you must go to an area open to sky.. Open the Maps application and wait for anything between 5 and 25 minutes. If the area is surrounded by Highrise buildings or tall trees and / or the weather is cloudy / rainy then it will take considerably longer time for the fix. Also note that if you start the application at a new place.. meaning Used at place A.. navigated to B using it and putting it OFF.. now if you start it again at any place other than B it will again take a longer time for the fix as against starting at B..

Once you get the fix.. you will not have problems navigating..

BTW you do not need Internet connection for GPS to work.. Only select Integrated GPS positioning method and OFFLINE under the internet option in the Maps application..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Even after carrying out suggestions by farby don't expect to maintain positional lock on N8 very easily if reliant solely on "Integrated GPS" positioning method. Due to restricted space within candybar form, size and position of GPS antenna is an inevitable compromise and it was always envisaged that Assisted GPS and WiFi/Network positioning methods would also be utilised.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

PaulNguyen

thank you, I could see it takes that long to use GPS without internet. More convenient when using both intergrated and A- GPS. Thanks for ur help anyway.