Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How to organize collections and/or change/assi...

Counsellor
Xose

How to organize collections and/or change/assign icon to favorites?

Hi community, once there was an option to categorize favorites and assign to them specific icons (eg shop, restaurant, ...). Is that not possible anymore?

Please use plain text.
Professor
bearshare

Re: How to organize collections and/or change/assign icon to favorites?

Not sure about that, but I remember using that feature on Maps 3.03 and 3.04 on my previous phone, a 5530XM. I think that from Maps 3.06 on, that feature was removed. You can still assign a favourite to any number of collections, though.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

OK, and again a nice tiny detail that is gone... what a pity.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bearshare

I suspect that the ability of changing bookmarks icons was related to the landmarks application, which was present on S60 and removed from ^3, Anna, Belle.

Anyway, when I used Maps 3.04 on a 5530XM, I did played around bookmarks icons for a short time, but  I soond found it to be tedious. It would be more usefull on Nokia Maps web version, if it were available...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

Hi bearshare, I did "reactivate" my long-time favorite N95 with map app version 3.01. :smileyhappy:

There I have the ability to organize my more than 340 favotites into user defined collections (as I did), rename them (as I did) and assign them individually an icon from a range of 16 (as I did). There are also very usefull and intuitively expected options available like:

• Show on map
  • Point me to
  • Walk to
  • Drive to
  • Add to route
  • Send (text message, multimedia, e-mail, Bluetooth and infrared)
  • Details (Icon, name, address, distance, GPS cordinates)

On the N9 I'm missing sorely this range of functionality, this simplicity, this intuitive handling.

I agree that the administration of the favorites via web application is particularly useful and confortable. For a short periode of time several years ago it was possible to administrate the above-mentioned information of the favorites on the web - but that is gone. Both methods (local an web) should be supported: If it worked on my N95, it's particularly hard for me just to have to renounce on my N9... :smileymad:

Do I sounds a little bit nostalgic and/or depressed to you..? :smileysad:

But no, no, most of the time I very, very much enjoy the N9  - just would like to make it even better. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
bearshare

Hi Xose,

Among the options you listed, the only ones that are absent on Nokia Maps 3.06 (for Symbian) are the following:

• Assign personalized icons to favourites
  • "point me to" menu option
  • Instead of "send", v3.06 has "share", which only allows you to send a favourite through SMS or email.

Regarding the ability to organize Favourites on Nokia Maps web version, I agree it is indeed very practical. But the online version suffers from the lack of collections. Although collections are synced to the user's Nokia account, they're not show on Maps web version.

Best regards.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

[ Edited ]
Yeah, yeah, but believe me, the difference between all these options and those currently available on the Nokia N9 is much pronounced.

For me even it looks like as if we had to deal here with one of the rare cases (or maybe not so rare nowadays?) of a backward evolving application. :smileyvery-happy:

Nokia, please, do not beat me and don't be (too) offended - a bit of sarcasm should be manageable, right? :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
kaizenredbull

Yep, definitely a lot of missing functions in the N9 when compared with the symbian version (although i prefer the UI of the N9 version). Hopefully this is only because there wasn't enough time to add all the functions and they will be added in time.

In regards to the icons for favourites, i asked this question to Nokia and it was indeed removed for some reason and there didn't seem to be much enthusiasm about getting it back in. I also asked the maps.nokia.com guys and they said that there would be a new/improved way of organising favourites coming soon, mind you this was about a year ago and not much has changed.

Please use plain text.