Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

How to set up GPS?

Advisor
bulgarian

How to set up GPS?

I just purchased and received my Nokia N95-3 and I have no clue how to use the GPS. I read the manual and its very confusing if someone cam give me some help, hints, tips and solutions to setting up my GPS without paying from T-Mobile. I want to receive a free GPS connection . I have Garmin Mobile XT, Nokia Maps, and Google Mobile Maps. I would like to know how to use Nokia Maps.
Professor
twopuds

Re: How to set up GPS?

The actual GPS connection will not cost you anything, what will is downloading the map data as you move around. If you use Nokia Maps to download and store on your phone the maps for your region or any to which you are going to travel to you can disable the network usage within the maps application and it will not use your data connection to load maps as it already has them stored. If you use the Nokia Maps application on your PC its easy to use and self explaining. What will cost is the actual voice navigation, you get 3 days free use I think but after that you will have to pay, but a very reasonable price I think. It works very well in my opinion having used it in the UK, France and Spain. Google and I think Garmin dont have the ability to pre load maps as Nokia Maps does and as such will download them as needed and cost you.
Long post but hope it helps.
Advisor
bulgarian

so how to I set up nokia maps on my n95, because yesterday when I bought it i upgraded the fw to v11 and when I zoom in on Nokia Maps to my location you can't see any streets or anything. I want to be able to set up navigation.
Professor
twopuds

The reason you dont see any streets is because you need map information on your phone, try using the maps application. you do need to allow the phone to get a fix and load some maps via your data connection first though before the map loader will work, if you open the maps app on the phone look in the setttings and set the access point to your service providers data connection, let it get a fix and load map and then use the map loader.
Advisor
bulgarian

Do you guys have any tips for the GPS?
Advisor
bulgarian

What are some good programs for navigation to use on my N95-3
Advisor
stevehya

When i got my N95, 11 Months ago,(Berkshire,U.K.)You were not supposed to have Maploader and Maps loaded to get the Lock On Started,You would Disable Network Usage-Voice Navigation so you do Not Pay.
Slide the handset open,click on Maps,Network usage Disabled click on OK,Options-Map Options-Satellite info,then put the Mobile in a window sill or Outside,handset still Open for 5-15 minutes,about 5 Satellites should Lock On,when 3 Black bars appear,it should have Secured Internal Lock on, then You can Zoom into your Home position or it may Zoom elsewhere.
Now you have got the Mobile GPS Working,use Maploader,a Quality Fast Mem card,2GB and Remember which Country maps you put on it,Allow the Mobile 75% Mem Usage?.
I Found this Handset Very Valuable when in Foot Walking Mode around Moscow and Kiev.
Counsellor
peterlsc

you are better off with the Garmin Mobile XT, Nokia MAPS is a joke, you need to pay so routing and voice navigation. With Garmin MobileXT you just need to pay once only, and garmin's map are more common in the whole world
E90 running BlackBerry Connect™ on Maxis Network
Advisor
stevehya

You Do NOT Pay,if You turn OFF Voice navigation.
Counsellor

You do not pay if you do not purchase the navigation to your area.

Load your local maps to your mass memory or memory card (using Nokia Map Loader), whichever that model happens to have. Then you don't have to pay your operator for downloading the maps.

About the GPS: If you can use a few kilobytes of data for very, very much faster GPS connection, you should enable the Assisted GPS in the Positioning settings. This works only if you have a correct positioning server address, which should probably be "supl.nokia.com" if the default server address you see there won't work.

In the A-GPS mode the GPS gets some rough satellite information from the Nokia server, such as which satellites are currently above you and which are not. Thus the GPS needs to listen to only those satellites that are guaranteed to be above you at that moment, and you'll get a very fast GPS fix.

If you can't use even a few kilobytes of data when you start your GPS, you should disable the Assisted GPS. In this case, it might take 5...15 minutes for you to get a GPS fix under an open sky, as the GPS chip in N95 is actually designed to be operated in Assisted GPS mode.