Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Installed maps and check latest maps or update...

Advisor

Installed maps and check latest maps or updates?

Hi using Ovi Maps 3.03. Sorry if this has been asked already but a couple of things :

How do I check what maps are actually installed on my phone?

How do I know if there are newer map versions available than whats installed on my phone?

Im asking this because I noticed the Ireland map on maps.ovi.com is more up to date than whats on my phone. I installed the Ireland map again using ovi suite on my pc but it's still missing some new details that are found on the maps.ovi.com map.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: Installed maps and check latest maps or updates?

I am using Ovi Suite (newest version), and when I try to load a map, if the version on my phone is latest, it will give me a "you already have this map on your phone" prompt
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage

I think you can also check in OVI-Option-Info, there is the application and also the map version displayed.

I have some problems with relying to OVI-Suite that there will be a message if the maps on the server are the same as in the phone. If you for example download europe, and then try to download germany then OVI-Suite does simply start the download. So at least different "package-sizes" of downloading the maps is not handled very well.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Good tips cheers. Seems I have the lastest maps then.

So the online map on http://maps.ovi.com/ is NOT the same as the maps you actually download to your phone?

Thats a pity as the online map looks very up to date. In my example there has been a lot of motorway upgrades in Ireland recently. These are visible on the online map but not the downloaded map.

Keep up the good progress anyway Nokia. Ovi maps its come on a long way with version 3.03. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Thats a pity as the online map looks very up to date. In my example there has been a lot of motorway upgrades in Ireland recently. These are visible on the online map but not the downloaded map.

Nokai are waiting on the little people to shrink the maps to size .Bit slow as Apple offers them more gold .

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

If the online map is different, you can download it by simply turning your Ovi maps to online mode and panning around. After it has downloaded the new data, its permanently saved onto your phone once you switch it to offline mode in the future,
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

So you have to delete the map you just downloaded, then pan around in online mode to attempt to get the newer data. Useless and would have to pay to download map data when out and about.

If you've already downloaded the country map the phone, it is not going to download updates for the map regardless if online or not - it already has the data!

I want the downloadable map to match the online ovi map in my browser. Thats not the case (for Ireland anyway). 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

No you dont have to delete the map. You can have it just there. I never delete maps when I update.

The updates are released four times a month. Have you checked Map Loader for the newly released map update last week? Generally, once Nokia gets the map details, it is uploaded to maps.ovi.com.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I must say I thought the latest downloaded map was quite up to date, especially around Dublin anyway. Can you give me a few examples where it differs from the online map from maps.ovi.com?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@owen101 - yes it will download map data. It recognizes that the data is incomplete. For example, certain POIs are not downloaded with map data through map loader, however, once they are searched online, the map app finds new data online and downloads it. Of course it will only download the parts that are presently onscreen. If for example the new parts are 3km away from the area shown on your screen, they will not be downloaded.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Are the very latest maps no better  released last week .

Plus maps app v 3-04 is now out of Beta and is the new download for maps from today .

jje

Please use plain text.
Advisor

@ - What is Map Loader?  I only have Ovi Suite to download maps to my phone.

Updated to 3.04 anyway. Now when I go to ovi Suite it says "cannot find maps or voice guidance files in your device". Great. I downloaded Ireland and Germany just yesterday.

Someone here said delete the cities folder in the phone so I did that. Fired up ovi maps again on phone, turn on internet and it starts to download as I scroll around. What do you know, this new map seems to match what I can see in the online version on my pc. Some progress at least.

So downloaded the Ireland map again in Ovi Suite and this is a bad one. Scroll around the map on the phone again and go north to Belfast. **bleep**, ovi maps crashes back to the home screen without a warning. I guess I have to download the UK map maybe.

This is a bloody terrible experience. The only thing I can think of is Ovi maps is designed for touch phones and not the old N86, E71 etc etc. Going to keep with it for the moment but the ancient Garmin XT may have to be recalled I fear.

One last thing, I had 56 Mb free phone memory with Ovi maps 3.03 installed. Updated to 3.04 and now down to 40Mb. **bleep** is going on here? Wheres my precious 15Mb gone? 

Thanks for the help all!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Ovi Maps takes 15mb of the phone memory.

As I already said before, if you download map data on the fly, it will match the one on the site. The maps downloaded via Ovi Suite or Map Loader (identical programs, Ovi Suite is just an integration of the old PC Suite, Map Loader, Map Updater, NSU, and other programs) are prepackaged maps.

Ovi Maps works fine for others using N86, E72, etc. Only thing I can think off is that there is some data corruption on your card regarding Ovi Suite association files. Run a disk check on it and redownload.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yeah probably some corrupt data or something or more likely some loose c++ pointers.

When I exit Ovi Maps the small satellite icon in top right still remains on constant. Does that mean the gps receiver is still sucking juice or what is it? Couldnt find any info in the N86 manual.

Please use plain text.
Sage

@owen101: Did shake my phone, could not hear any loose items within the phone....

(Sorry... could not refrain from asking that....;-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
djoe001

same memory problem with my E72 after upgrading to 3.04. Now with no apps running i get a msg `low phone memory please quit some applications and try again`.
Please use plain text.