Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Lumia 520 - navigation and magnetometer

Advisor
Tommythecat

Lumia 520 - navigation and magnetometer

The Lumia 520 is not coming with a Magnetometer (compass). What effect will this have on the navigation possibilities?

I imagine that it will have no effect when you are navigating in your car. I mean, what could the advantage of a compass then be? On the other hand it could come in handy when you're navigation by foot, in case you are wondering which direction you're heading (north/south...).

Am I right here? Can anybody shine his light on this matter?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 520 - navigation and magnetometer

It should not really make any difference when using Here Drive because it uses direction of travel rather than the magnetometer for direction information. Here Maps on the other hand only faces north so no problems here either. The only apps it will affect are Here City Lens and Compass apps. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

If you look here under Extra Features you'll see the 520, 720 and 920 all have the same positioning features:

PositioningA-GPS
CellID
GLONASS
GPS
SA-GPS
WiFi positioning

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gyani

Yeah u r wright bro. compass is a must for all the purpose of navigatio,without compass there will be little location issue

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gyani

I know but it is no where related with gps or city lense. its like extra feature for wifi positioning and some other application
Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

Without a compass there is no way for the map to orientate to the direction you are facing which can be very useful when you are stationary.
Please use plain text.
windydene

Hi just a quick comment,  my Garmin handheld GPS doesn't have a compass neither does the TomTom in my car. You only have to move a metre and the software in your device re calculates your position then knows what direction you are moving. I image the City software would do that. I dont have a Windows phone and am thinking of getting one thats how I happen to be here.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

CIty lens requires the compass to determine which way you are FACING. While you can determine which way you are HEADING using (a)GPS that is of little help while stationary.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.