Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Lumia GPS tracking accuracy

Contributor
tydytek
Accepted Solution

Lumia GPS tracking accuracy

Hi, Im having a problem with altitude GPS accuracy while using any of GPS tracking applications on my Lumia 720.

It seems like the phone is able the find the right altitude, for example 252 m, but it randomly drops to 36 m, then 252 m, then drops to 50 m and so on.

It doesn't depend on application, it's the same story in sports tracker, endomondo, runkeeper...

When chcecking the altitude in GPSInfo app it shows vertical accuracy 5m, so the gps signal is fine, but the altitude is fluctuating even when i'm not moving.

You can see how it looks in endomondo in attached jpeg - the road was almost flat, no elevation at all.

Is this only my phone's issue?

Advisor
SimonL620

Re: Lumia GPS tracking accuracy

Hello!

This behavior is also found on my Lumia 620.

It seems to be more a problem with Windows Phone 8. There is a litte bit of discussion on developer sites.

Search for

"GPS / altitude accuracy off / jumping around"

or

"Fix Altitude Bug in GeoCoordinateWatcher and Geolocator when using in WP8"

It seems there is nothing that end user can do. I'm in discussion with the developer of Hike&Bike.

He will try to fix it on app level. But it is more important to force Nokia and Microsoft to fix this issue

in the phone itself.

Regards,

Simon

Contributor
tydytek

Thanks for your answer Simon, I'm not happy to see that :smileysad:

Is there some official way to report this bug to Nokia / Microsoft?

Sage
songoku777

[ Edited ]

i don't think its a bug but more of an instrument limitation.

on my old nokias... and even on this new lumia i got.. altitude wildly fluctuates too.

afaik, the fone's gps sensor should get signal from atlast 3-4 satellites to get a triangulated flat coordinate; and atleast 4-5 satellites to show altitude.

i think it would be more accurate on a real gps device (that has an external antenna or atleast a bigger internal antenna), instead of a cell fone (just a tiny antena inside). or a pressure meter perhaps to be more exact in measuring altitude (like in the samsung s4).

Advisor
SimonL620

[ Edited ]

Hello!

Peter who developed the App Hike&Bike was able to fix this altitude jumping bug. It is needed to use DesiredAccuracyInMeters with a value of 1. Same as mentioned by Ray Krebs on wpdev.uservoice.com.

Regarding the altitude accuracy itself it is true that this will never be perfect. But jumping from

140 to 21 meters and back is not a problem of viewable satellites. On same place an older Nokia 700 has "stable" altitude values and gives the information that 9 satellites are in view.

Peter will release a new version of Hike&Bike after finishing some beta tests. Hopefully other developer will switch to this way.

Best regards!

Simon

Contributor
tydytek

Glad to hear that! Probably I'll swich to hike&bike then..

Developers of endomondo and sports tracker don't care about WP8, so I don't think there is real chance they will fix that bug.

And yes, IMHO it IS a bug, it has nothing to do with bad GPS signal as the horizontal accuracy is perfect and the altitude is dropping close to zero meters very often, not just fluctuating around the real value, which is normal..

Advisor
SimonL620

Hello!

The new version of Hike&Bike is now available in Windows Phone Store. The jumping altitude behaviour is fixed in this version. It should be in the moment  the only one program that uses the needed code to avoid altitude problems on some phones. If you like, I recommend to test this nice app.

All the best!

Simon

Contributor
tydytek

Hi!

I have the new version since this morning, but thanks for the info anyway :smileyhappy:

It seems that the altitude problem si fixed, so it´s the only usable app for our phones so far..

Hope other developers will follow.

Registered Member
spes620

Thanks Simon for pushing Hike & Bike developer to fix it, i had the same problem in tracking workouts with Endomondo, so i switched to H&B and it's working!

But i'm disappointed by Nokia , it's their duty to fix bugs...

Advisor
SimonL620

Hello!

It seems that the altitude bug is fixed with the GDR2 or Lumia Amber update (for the 620). It also seems that not all Lumia phones have this problem. The Lumia 820 I tested resently, did not have this bug, even without the Amber update.

Greetings,

Simon