Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Map location accuracy for internet on-line (ma...

Advisor
Slow_safe

Map location accuracy for internet on-line (maps.ovi.com) for Hong Kong

If I set a location with maps.ovi.com on-line.  Saved it into my favorites, on-line.

Synchronize the favorites on my 5800 ovi maps v3.04. 

Then try to go to the location set.  I could never get there, the location is never accurate.

Then, with maps.ovi.com, I turn on the satellite view, I find the error between the satellite view and the Nokia map is about 500m North-South and 100m East-West.

Would some one help ?

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Map location accuracy for internet on-line (maps.ovi.com) for Hong Kong

[ Edited ]

Try updating the map data on your phone to the latest version if you haven't already done so recently.

Advisor
Slow_safe

Thanks, I did so already, but the problem remains.

If I set the location with the mobil ( both by search and by standing at the location ), there is no problem at all.  So, I guess the problem is with the on-line map, not with the map on the mobil phone.

BTW the map version is 0.1.25.114

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You do have the latest map data.

This is not a problem I have encountered myself. Just last night I set a list of favourites online and synched to my phone. I just checked and all is well.

It may be worth trying to do the same with another country and see if the same thing happens.

Advisor
Slow_safe

I have checked again and recofirm that this IS a problem for both the Hong Kong and Chinese maps ------ the on-line maps on the maps.ovi.com. 

I have checked the several London Bridges remain in good shape no matter under map view or the statellite view.  But the HK and China maps have the problem described in my first post.

Would Nokia staff help to rectify the problem ?

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

Check the coordinates of the locations on maps.ovi.com, the Ovi maps coorditnate for the same location on your phone and finally the coordinate for the same location after it is transferred from maps.ovi.com to your phone.. Just interesting to see if the coordinates are the same. 

Advisor
Slow_safe

Take the tallest building in Hong Kong : International Commerce Centre

http://maps.ovi.com/#|22.30063|114.16481|60|0|0

after sycn to my 5800, that location is in the sea.

but it is strange that if I set the location on my mobil, and check it with ovi, .........  strange thing is happening, would some one more professional please help to check this out ?

Advisor
Slow_safe

So, is anyone from Nokia going to help ?

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
EnioReH01

Hi All!

Please bear in mind, the boards here are for user-to-user support only.

If you want to provide any feedback directly to Nokia,  we suggest that you use the 'Contact us' link at the top of the page or contact your local Nokia Care line.

Cheers!

EnioReh01

Advisor
Slow_safe

Thanks for the reminder.

I'd mistaken that the Nokia people may be reading this forum.

I have send a e-mail to them.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Did you get a chance to check the various coordinates and compare them? It will give an indication of where the error might be. 

Advisor
Slow_safe

Dear cjlim,

With the on-line ovi map, I could not find how to display the coordinates of a location.

Similary, with the mobil ovi map on the 5800, I do not know how to display the location unless I go to that place physcially.

However, I have estimated in my first message :

"Then, with maps.ovi.com, I turn on the satellite view, I find the error between the satellite view and the Nokia map is about 500m North-South and 100m East-West."

Advisor
Slow_safe

I had reported this problem to Nokia, but nothing seems to be happening.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You can set up the location as a favourite and get the coordinates from the Landmarks application on your phone.

Map data issues should be reported to Navteq the map data provider and not Nokia.

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER&language=en