Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Maps 3.06 breaks File Manager backup on N97 Mi...

Contributor
ral613

Maps 3.06 breaks File Manager backup on N97 Mini

I have been chasing a fault on my N97 Mini (RM-553, firmware version 11.2.102, locked to Rogers in Canada) where, when I try to do a backup from within the File Manager, it fails with an error message like "memory full, close some applications and try again."

Through many factory resets and re-installing all my apps one-by-one, I have found the cause. If I install Ovi Maps 3.06 from the Ovi store, file manager backup immediately starts to fail. If I back out Ovi Maps to 3.04, backup starts working again.

How can I fix this problem so I can upgrade to the latest Ovi Maps without it causing problems?

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: Maps 3.06 breaks File Manager backup on N97 Mini

Interesting, for me it did screw up the backup of phone-settings via PCSuite.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-for-mobile-v3-06/bugreport/18502/after-3-06-install-and-de-i...

But de-install did not help...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ral613

Ah, I never thought to file a bug report. I have done that now so you have company.

I thought if an app was available in Ovi Store it was a released product and no longer in beta.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bd71

i am facing exactly same problem. after updating to maps 3.06 my backup to f memory card gives a message "memory full close some applications and try again". funny part is i have 205mb free in "c" and about 4gb free in internal mass memory and 4gb free in memory card, and have about 45mb ram free at that moment, dont understand what memory it is refering to. my n97 mini is fully updated with all firmwares.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Bear in mind that maps 00.02.42.122 used with OVI Maps v3.06 are larger than their predecessors. Firstly, suggest that whilst within OVI Maps application go to "Spanner icon" > Map > Maximum memory use - is it set default of 70%, if so advance to 90% close application and re-start OVI Maps as only then takes effect.

Secondly can sometimes be worth moving all contents off F:\ memory card onto PC and check available free memory as memory card can sometimes need to be re-formatted.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bd71

formatted memory card via pc then via phone but problem still remains. 

thnks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bd71

FOUND SOLUTION
PROBLEM IS THAT BACKUP APPLICATION IS UNABLE TO HANDLE LARGE FILES
WITH NEW OVI MAPS AND IF U DOWNLOAD COUNTRY MAP IT BECOMES TOO LARGE FOR BACKUP TO HANDLE
SO TRY THIS : IN BACKUP SETTINGS INSTED OF "ALL" SELECT EVERYTHING EXEPT "FILES" AND IT SHOULD WORK
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ral613

[ Edited ]

I tried removing "files" from backup settings. Backup still fails.

@aspergerguy

I tried moving the slider to 50% and to 90% (full scale), restarting the app each time. Still no change -- backup still fails. I erased all maps as well. Still no luck.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@ral613

I now wonder whether your issue is related to "firmware version 11.2.102"  as have no issues using backup with OVI Maps v3.06 11wk07 on a 5800XM in which all 8.5GB of World Maps installed.

Although a complete pain needing backup of all essential data, has your N97 Mini been restored to "Out of box" state by keying in *#7370# followed by 12345 (default Nokia lock code unless altered by yourself) before trying to install v3.06?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ral613

@aspergerguy,

Well, I can reproduce the fault on my 5800 XM (unlocked, debranded) RM-428 running 51.2.007 -- the most current version for that device. I think it has more to do with a fragmented OS and Nokia's lack of regression testing.

Originally when I found the problem on my N97 Mini I had done a cold reset and added apps one by one until the fault occurred. I may try a cold reset and *only* add Maps 3.06 to see if the fault occurs immediately.

I make take on this fault as a personal affront and try to get to the bottom of it, but to be honest this is no longer a priority with me. I got so tired of this kind of fragility with Symbian and the astounding lack of ability simply to get the job done without surprises that I jumped to a different phone ecosystem. The new phone is working so well that the Nokias are just backup for me now.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ral613

An update...

So just for kicks I debranded my N97 Mini, updated the firmware to v12.2.210, and did a factory reset.  I am slowly restoring the phone. (Damn you Nokia for not having a decent image backup/restore, but that's another subject.) I'm now to the point of slowly adding my apps back, but with all the current Symbian updates installed, including Maps 3.06, the File Manager backup function works OK.

The problem I reported must be some kind of nasty interaction that I guess I will eventually discover as I add all my apps back. It seems clear that it is not solely related to Maps 3.06.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

ral613 wrote:

The problem I reported must be some kind of nasty interaction that I guess I will eventually discover as I add all my apps back. It seems clear that it is not solely related to Maps 3.06.

Whilst admiring your perspicacity in attempting to resolve this annoying issue, I doubt very much whether Nokia would have the resolve to address it even if brought to their attention at this late stage of Symbian evolution.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ral613

[ Edited ]

(Potential thread hijack warning)

Maybe if Nokia or Symbian had made a habit of addressing these kinds of bugs, we would not now be facing Symbian end of life. :-)

Please use plain text.