Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Maps always too late

Contributor
rolgap

Maps always too late

Hi!  i bought recently  a N97 and I have a problem with the navigation GPS:
When I drive the indications on map and vocal announcements are absolutely correct, without they are always late from 20 to 100 metres with regard to the reality!
For example when I approach a traffic circle, I am before warned well, but the GPS tells me to take the exit while I have already left the traffic circle since 20 or 100 meters. And it is the same thing to turn to the right or to the left in a crossroads.
Anybody can help me to resolve this problem ?

Maps 3.03

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi rolgap

Welcome to the forum!

Whilst your mapping data is up to date, I do wonder why you are using OVI Maps v3.03 if this isn't a typographic error.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rolgap

I bought this second-hand telephone, and I did not update the OVI Maps version.
Do you think that my defect can come from there?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi rolgap

Without knowing how deep the urban canyon is where you are situated it is hard to speculate, but certainly v3.04 is stable at the end of it's useful life although v3.06 should appear before very long.

If you can't manage to update it via SW update application on your N97 you could always use link for N97 mini 

here

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rolgap

[ Edited ]

The default occurs even when I am in the countryside, not only in town.

/

I just come to update towards the version 3.04. Everything took place well during the installation, but now the GPS do not find any more my position while it was immediate previously...

GPS see up to 6 sat, but don't compute position

/

Sorry, he found my position, but he need very long time, and have very bad precision.

I'll check in my car tomorrow

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chan1102

Interesting this, when I tested my maps, the 1st time I used it, I had the same problem (passing side roads when the map shows I yet to pass!). I just assume it was because I was offline it is slower and less accurate than online/A-GPS (as mentioned in the phone manual as a disclaimer) - but after that it seems to work fine......

When the problem appear, it was on a VERY clear morning, black sky (yes I go to work VERY early) and no traffic - so can't see any problem with any GPS delay.....I have latest 0.1.25.114 maps on v3.04 maps application.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Whoever you are and whereever you are, just ask and I will try my best to help...

If u find my replies useful, pls click on WHITE STAR in GREEN Rectangle on the left to replace the '0' with a '1'
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rolgap

Since I made the update towards the version 3.04 slowness of calculation of position became unacceptable. All the parameters are identical to what I had in 3.03. (AGPS is active)
In spite of 8 visible satellites in half power it puts more of 20minutes to calculate a position
That goes from bad to worse!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Did you turn off WiFi/Network positioning? That causes issues when turned on.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

I have always used Maps in OFFLINE Mode and used the Integrated GPS only... Never faced problem  here in India.. (though the infra is not that well planned)..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chan1102

I don't understand, why would u turn-off wifi/network when wi-fi is FREE and network is required for faster and more accurate GPS (if u want to pay for it)?

Sorry, if I am disgressing here, but my 5230 has no wi-fi, how come I can turn on/off this function on my phone?

And what is the difference between wifi/network and network?

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Whoever you are and whereever you are, just ask and I will try my best to help...

If u find my replies useful, pls click on WHITE STAR in GREEN Rectangle on the left to replace the '0' with a '1'
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Go to Menu>Apps>Location>Positioning>Positioning Methods

If you are using Maps 3.04, even if your phone has no wifi, its there. There is a separate "Network based" positiing from the "Wifi/Network" option. Just turn it off.

Wifi positioning worked iffily, and I never got it to work. And its on by default for Maps 3.04. Several people had their problems solved by turning it off.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rolgap

Thank you to all

Thank you to all, i try many things you said me, it was not better.

Then i called Nokia Care , and they said : return your phone to repair low sensitivity ...

Now I'm in travel for 3 month (I would use GPS in Thailand) pity

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chan1102

Cheers chanchan05 for the clarification on wifi/network - I have my turned-off by default just in case there is a charge for the network bit...

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chan1102

Re: Thank you to all

Hi rolgap,

Since u bought the phone NEW, I would have demanded a new replacement than now having no phone whilst its being repair.

Nevermind - keep us posted if the repair makes any difference.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rolgap

Re: Thank you to all

it's ok, I'll say you what happend

The phone is till under garantee, i saw the problem too few time before start my trip.

Please use plain text.