Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Maps for Japan become useless?

Maps for Japan become useless?

Hello,

I have an N95. In old version of Maps, Japan map size is 19MB but when I upgrade to 2.0, I have to reload Japan maps and it has gone down to 5MB. Previously, the detail is not so good but it is still quite usable. Now, Tokyo and Osaka does not even have street details and name at all.

Japan maps become totally useless.

So,

1) What happen?

2) Can I convert old v1.2 maps data to v2.0 format? I try using v1.2 maps data in 2.0 and the program crashes.

PS. I got maps data from http://nokiamaps.moo.no/
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

You should always get your maps from official sources.

Have you tried using the map loader that nokia provides?

A new version of the maploader was released this week and you can get it from here: http://europe.nokia.com/A4984199
Please use plain text.

Yes, I upgrade Maps to 2.0 when it graduates from Beta Labs and using latest Maps Loader v1.3.8. Then I got the reduced 5MB Japan maps which, IMHO, is useless.

So, I go out and search Nokia Discussion and found the link for download maps data and it is a goods maps from the same source as Nokia Maps Loader.

I am thinking of delete Maps 2.0 from my N95 but I am wondering if it will return to the ROM version of Maps or the Maps program will totally gone?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Fair enough.

If you can find the maps for the old version they will work with the new version. That's assuming that they haven't also been updated.

Maps 2.0 can be removed but it's a pain to get rid off.
Please use plain text.

I did try the 19MB v1.2 maps data on new 2.0 Maps program but when I zoom in to about 200 Meter to 400 Meter range the Maps program crashes! So, I cannot use 1.2 data in 2.0.

That's why I want to know if I can convert 1.2 data to 2.0 format.

Any ideas on why the 2.0 maps data got shrink down? Is it because old maps is from teleatlas and new maps is from navteq?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Don't know if they can be changed.

Like you pointed out it's probably because they've changed providers.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You are correct, it is due to the change from Teleatlas to Navteq. It seems Teleatlas has superior mapping data for Japan. However, the opposite is true for Ireland where Navteq has the upper hand.

So the switch to Navteq nad benefited us but unfortunately inconvenienced you.

Please use plain text.

This is absurd. Going from v1.2 to 2.0 should see an improvement in the detail of maps (regardless of geographic location) not the other way round. Why not just revert to the previous version?
Please use plain text.

I use this map on japan and i think is very very useless. And i can't use the older japan map on Nokia Map 2. Please Nokia update japan map.
Please use plain text.
Sage
pamdemonium

Heya willows,

As I understand it, the maps are actually not by Nokia. It's from two companies (TeleAtlas and Navteq). I'm not sure which company handles the Japan maps, please check your map, it should say which is the company when you view a map of Japan. :smileyhappy:

Then, go to this website and click on the company to provide feedback:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4984215

If more people submit feedback, maybe they will update the map data faster. :smileyvery-happy:

"Try not. Do or do not, there is no try."
If you found someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to the post! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I too cannot believe how bad the detail of the map data for Japan is.

You may be interested anyway in the landmark files I have created for Japan.

http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/travel/kyoto.lmx

http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/tokyo/tokyo_guide.lmx

Download and copy these files into a folder, such as documents on your memory card, then using the file explorer open the file. From there you can either save selected landmarks or all of them. You can then show them on a map.
Craig Fryer
Editor - Japanese Lifestyle
www.japaneselifestyle.com.au
Please use plain text.

The older version of the Japan maps do actually work on the new version. I think the crashing problem, which I also had, was because I was browsing the maps online. When online, it seems the program began to download the new maps, as they began to show Navteq in the corner instead of TeleAtlas. When I then moved to where a TeleAtlas map was, it crashed. I could, however, browse around the old TeleAtlas maps freely when the program was offline.
Please use plain text.

Just a follow-up, the "old" maps I had were also from Navteq (not sure why I thought they said TeleAtlas). But they do seem to work in offline mode. Not much detail, but better than the newer version. Anyone know if the "TeleAtlas" maps were better? If so, any links to the files?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I suggest using Google Mobile maps, since Nokia is slow. http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps.html The downside is that it downloads the maps as it is explored, so be sure to be connected to a WiFi network, instead of GPRS/EDGE/HSPA data transfer, because the roaming fees for mobile data abroad can become quite expensive quite fast.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

This is a particular problem in Japan as there are no GPRS or EDGE services and access to HSPA is difficult or very expensive for non-residents. Google Maps will not work if you do not have a data service which can occur in some locations.
Craig Fryer
Please use plain text.

Let me bump this thread.

Ovi map for Japan is still totally useless. This is a weak side of Ovi Maps against Garmin or Google Maps. As craig_fryer said, in Japan, Google Maps is not economic for those who don't live in Japan because of their expensive GPRS service fee. (while locals can use cheap HSDPA services.) Thus, if Ovi Maps has a detailed map for Japan, it can be one of superior features over other map services.

Unfortunately, it looks like neither of TeleAtlas or Navteq has a detailed map for Japan. For example, Google Maps uses one from Zenrin.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi everyone, i am new here and looking for a phone with GPS abilities that can handle an onboard GPS navigation with

maps of Japan, especially majors cities like Tokyo and Kyoto.

I am desapointed to learn that, due to inconsistents maps, the N97 is not a good choice for this kind of use.

Does anyone know of a solution to this matter : GPS onboard navigation in Japan ? ? ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Ok here is a new option. I found this company offering USB modem rental http://www.japanmobilerental.com/USB_Modems.html

at quite reasonable rates. Now you should be able to take the sim out of the modem and use in most handsets like the Nokia N97. I have not done this yet, so I cannot confirm this. I have done it with similar sim in Australia so hopefully it should work.

I intend to try it out in April next year.

You will need to make sure your handset is not locked.

Given this you should be able to use Google Mobile maps. 

Message Edited by craig_fryer on 14-Dec-2009 11:00 AM
Craig Fryer
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JohnBlund

Did it work with usb card?

Anyone have japan maps(solution) for nokia symbian or should I buy another phone?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
doctran

Looks like buying a different phone is the best option if you need maps in Japan.

Please use plain text.