Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N 86.. Stop WiFi, regain GPS

Contributor
aname4me
Accepted Solution

N 86.. Stop WiFi, regain GPS

Hello
I have a Nokia N86 8MP.

In the Fall, after an update, my phone started to come up with a “Select Connection” screen. This was helpful for finding available WiFi networks, BUT.. I wasn't looking for any.
I don't want to use the phone for Wifi (email or Internet). I am always hitting “cancel”.
I try to take a picture... cancel.
Open the phone... cancel.
Even worse, at the same time the GPS quit working. It opens but never shows more then one flashing yellow bar.
I have “Show WLAN availability” set to never.
I have “Internet connectivity test” set to never run.

I see may N86 as a Phone, then a good camera, then as a GPS. Not as a WiFi device.
Please help me get the Phone I want back.
Thanks
Randal

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Firstly suggest that you go to Menu > Settings > General > scroll down to Positioning > Positioning methods - try disabling all except Integrated GPS and see if makes any difference; bear in mind that it will take considerably longer to establish position from a "cold start " and you may need to go outside away from tall buldings and wait 20 - 30 minutes for initial positional fix.

If you want to track number of available satellites go to Menu > Applications > GPS Data and in Options > Satellite status.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aname4me

First... Thank you for answering my message.
I have tried what you said.
When I started Maps, it takes about a 1/2 minute for the Compass to turn from red to yellow. Another 2 minutes for it to turn green and work. After 15-20 minute there is still no GPS action. The satellite strength shows 2 red, 2 grey, 2 red, 2 grey, 2 red and never changes.
I have tried several times at different locations. Nothing.

A second (new) question....
Is there a away to restart, refresh, configure (what ever the word is) the phone? Maybe a new start will fix a past mistake.

A third (and more desperate) question...
Can any one recommend a phone that has a strong camera, and a strong GPS (and is dependable)

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

If you want a phone with good GPS and very good camera then you should consider the Lumia 920. If you just want a good camera with good GPS then the Lumia 820 might do you. I recently used both on an extended driving holiday and neither let me down with the navigation. The 820 has a good camera but the 920 stilll blows it away especially in low light conditions. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

aname4me wrote:

Is there a away to restart, refresh, configure (what ever the word is) the phone? Maybe a new start will fix a past mistake.

This will delete all user data and return device to as new state. Key in *#7370# followed by 12345 (default Nokia lock code unless altered by user).

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aname4me

Well... I got it to work.
I *#7370# the phone.
I connected to my Nokia Suite and got most of my stuff back.
I didn't enter an email address.

I did find my self 3 time, at different locations, with the GPS.
Takes 5 to 10 minutes (a bit slow).

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The older phones tend to be a little slower in getting an initial position fix especially if offline without the assistance of agps. You should find it gets a little faster for subsequent fixes. 

The newer phones are much better. My 820 and 920 both take no more than a couple of seconds even when offline. 

Please use plain text.