Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 BELLE GPS STOPPED WORKING PROPERLY AFTER BE...

Advisor
ovimapsproblem
Accepted Solution

N8 BELLE GPS STOPPED WORKING PROPERLY AFTER BELLE UPGRADE

after upgrading to belle . my gps , front camra and earphones stopped working.

i have found some owkword method to start the gps , but it's taking time and not convenient.

when i start nokia maps and it's not founding the gps. i shut it down.

go to : SETTINGS >> APLICATION SETTINGS >> POSITIONING>>METHODS. 

uncheck all methods.

start the maps.

close maps

check integrated gps and/or assisted gps

restart the program.

if its not getting gps signat - repeat the process again and also restart the phone.

this will usually fix the problem but for only few hours.

it seems that if i dont use the gps software for more then 5 hours , i need to start this process again.

i think this is a system gps software problem.

what are you going to do about it?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

Re: N8 BELLE GPS STOPPED WORKING PROPERLY AFTER BELLE UPGRADE

ONE MORE THING. i have installed some more gps software like : gpsinfoqt and gps toolbox and it looks like starting this programs will sometimes help the system "find" the gps component.
i also noticed that when the gps program "finds" the gps chip it will show a small white sattelite dish icon on top of the screen. if this sign is gone - it means the system does not find the gps chip. and you will not get a signal even if you are under clear sky.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

ovimapsproblem wrote:

This maybe a typographic error on your part but upon Belle devices it should be:-

Settings > Application settings > Find my location > Positioning methods

However on Anna it is indeed Settings > Application settings > Positioning > Positioning methods

It could be worth trying option within Nokia Suite to re-install existing device software.

Lastly I would always ensure that WiFi/Network positioning method is enabled, as this is the one that gives a rapid positional fix inside building as geo-location of router has been pre-determined.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

i have already re installed the system software. perheps i did something wrong.

can you explain to do it correctly?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

this is not an error . perhaps there is a problem with belle installation. as i said i already reinstalled system . can you please let me know what to do?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

now i have just reinstalled the system. but it is the same: Settings > Application settings > Positioning > Positioning methods
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

can you please let me know how can i format and make a fresh reinstall of my os? or reinstall maps and gps software on my n8?

now after i made reinstall - the gps is not working at all

scoobyman wrote:

ovimapsproblem wrote:

This maybe a typographic error on your part but upon Belle devices it should be:-

Settings > Application settings > Find my location > Positioning methods

However on Anna it is indeed Settings > Application settings > Positioning > Positioning methods

It could be worth trying option within Nokia Suite to re-install existing device software.

Lastly I would always ensure that WiFi/Network positioning method is enabled, as this is the one that gives a rapid positional fix inside building as geo-location of router has been pre-determined.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Although user data would be deleted, key in *#7370# followed by 12345 (default Nokia lock code unless altered by user) then install Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 from Nokia Store:store.ovi.com/content/265481

As existing GPS ephemeris data has been deleted, it could take 20 - 30 minutes outside away from tall buildings to establish it's location if no network access. As Assisted GPS postional method times out if it can't access network, you might disable it temporarily.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

scoobyman wrote:

Although user data would be deleted, key in *#7370# followed by 12345 (default Nokia lock code unless altered by user) then install Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 from Nokia Store:store.ovi.com/content/265481

As existing GPS ephemeris data has been deleted, it could take 20 - 30 minutes outside away from tall buildings to establish it's location if no network access. As Assisted GPS postional method times out if it can't access network, you might disable it temporarily.

this only made a "hard reset" it did not uninstall nokia maps, i have already done this several time but it didn't help.

i think i need to reinstall nokia maps. do you have any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

If you were taking device into Nokia Care facility they would probably carry out a three key depressed power on reset to completely wipe both C:\ & E:\ of user data before completely re-installing device software. This procedure removes some essential certificates, which precludes Nokia Maps & Store from functioning correctly upon Belle devices and why I would not advocate it's use.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

then what will you reccomend?

scoobyman wrote:

If you were taking device into Nokia Care facility they would probably carry out a three key depressed power on reset to completely wipe both C:\ & E:\ of user data before completely re-installing device software. This procedure removes some essential certificates, which precludes Nokia Maps & Store from functioning correctly upon Belle devices and why I would not advocate it's use.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

scoobyman wrote:

please let me know what can i do to restore gps reception. as i said now it's became worse. i can't get any gps readings. i need to completely remove and reinstall gps programs.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

IF a Nokia Care facility was relatively accessible, after backing up esswential data I would carry out a three key depressed power on "hard reset" as a pre-cursor to getting device software completely re-installed to exclude any software corruption, before pointing towards possible hardware issue.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

scoobyman wrote:

IF a Nokia Care facility was relatively accessible, after backing up esswential data I would carry out a three key depressed power on "hard reset" as a pre-cursor to getting device software completely re-installed to exclude any software corruption, before pointing towards possible hardware issue.

please explain , how exactly to do that " three key depressed power on "hard reset"" , and how to reinstall software after that. i am not sure i understand what you mean.

thank you

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ovimapsproblem

it seems that the "3 key hard reset" has fixed the problem.

you make 3 key hard reset from shut down mode and after that restore the system software and do a "software update".

that will fix any missing componnent.

I sometimes loose connection with gps chip , but restarting fix the problem (i use "quick restart")

also i recommend "legpsdata2" to check gps connection. this is by far the fastest and most reliable software.

Please use plain text.