Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N9 Maps download doesn't work

Advisor
MEgaLamozz

N9 Maps download doesn't work

I happend to delete all maps in my app because i don't need them but one. I live in Russia so i need only russian maps. I know maybe it was stupid, but the thing is now I can't download any as that "Download failure. Try again" (or smth like that) apears. Could anyone help me please?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@MEgaLamozz

Welcome to the forum!

Does download progress bar do anything, can you "Pause" or does it never even connect?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MEgaLamozz

It can't even show me the list of downloadable maps. The massage apears when app tries to load it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MEgaLamozz

Well, as I hoped, the problem solved itself. Looks like there were some temporary connection problems with app. Anyway, thx fot answering=)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
spunkybloke

[ Edited ]
Good that it got solved by itself, but for your info. I've experienced the same and solved it like this:

Let me make it clear for you and others who may suffer with the same problem

Actually the Maps app. should be online to download the list of available maps or sync your favourites.

Here's how you do that

In maps tap on ". . ." i.e., options>Settings>Online(turn it on)..

Hope it will help and clear the issue.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Ahmed

If my post helped you, click that white Kudo star, Thanks!
----------------------------------
Year 2007: Nokia 1600........ Year 2010: E63(May), E72(Jun, Jul), N97 mini(Aug - Dec), Year 2011: N8(Jan- May), E7(Jun - Sep), N9(Oct,11 - Present), 808PureView(Oct,13 - Present)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
catalin966

I have same experience and I use the application online. in one day work other day not work. I think the problem is with this nokia  maps service. I bought N9 for this application, but I am very disappointed. I lost hours and hours trying to downloadmaps.

and other problem is why can not delete individual maps?

A solution would be to load / manage maps via computer,but would require changes to OS and Nokia link.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

catalin966 wrote:

I bought N9 for this application, but I am very disappointed. I lost hours and hours trying to download maps.

As I needed World mapping to address user queries you can imagine how long this would take with device sitting by WLAN even if feasible; for which the answer was to download map links manually, decompress and merge the five continents, for which penalty is that maps upon system are not be recorded in device index although function perfectly.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Coldwaves

It seems you have to be on online mode to download the map.  Whenever I switch to online mode, I have no problem downloading the map catalog and can always start to download the map.  Whenever I switch to offline mode, the phone always fail to download the catalog.  Try this to see whether it works for you.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
catalin966

Thanks for response.
I always use online application: connect, shows me the map size, press the "download" and nothing happened. Sometimes immediately start downloading maps. But this happens rarely and randomly.
Do you know how to just delete A MAP and not all?

Is possible to load / delete maps using the computer?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

Is all the rest working well? How about other downloads, like Store apps, e-mails or feeds?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Coldwaves

catalin966 wrote:

Thanks for response.
I always use online application: connect, shows me the map size, press the "download" and nothing happened. Sometimes immediately start downloading maps. But this happens rarely and randomly.
Do you know how to just delete A MAP and not all?

Is possible to load / delete maps using the computer?

As far as I know, you can only download maps on Nokia N9 over Wifi. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
catalin966

e mail, feeds, AP mobile, RSS work ok. This is why I think the problem is the server where the maps are stored. I think the best solution would be the ability to upload / manage maps with computer when wifi not work.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
poteron

[ Edited ]

I've had lots of problems with wifi on my N9, so anything involving a big download from one source works in very random way. Sometimes no problems, most often failure to download. So gPodder or Podcatcher Lite will not download new episodes, or Ovi Store apps will not download and install properly. Maps seems to suffer from this as well. Looks like a generic wifi issue with N9, PR 1.1. Other threads report wifi problems as well.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
michaelsydney

I have finally managed a very slow download by not only selecting "Online" in Maps Settings but also enabling "Allow Background Connection in Settngs - Internet Connection.

VERY slow but maybe I will be able to download UK maps (190mb) in a 90 minute session.

The frustration remain however that I can not install one or two of the preinstalled maps (I really don't need Taiwan or Philippines or Malaysia or Hong Kong!) without going to "Delete All" and then hoping I can download again what I do want.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

In maps tap on ". . ." i.e., options>Settings>Online(turn it on)..

THANK you! This was the solution I was looking for a log time today!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
spunkybloke

You are welcome, thanks for the Kudo...

I hope you are enjoying your N9,

Have a nice day!
If my post helped you, click that white Kudo star, Thanks!
----------------------------------
Year 2007: Nokia 1600........ Year 2010: E63(May), E72(Jun, Jul), N97 mini(Aug - Dec), Year 2011: N8(Jan- May), E7(Jun - Sep), N9(Oct,11 - Present), 808PureView(Oct,13 - Present)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
n9_accord

Wow it's been months since I flashed the phone and could not download maps.. that whole "online" switch in map settins just fixed my life!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
elvisenna

As for me, I'm trying to download the maps but it never completes. It seems to finish, but then it appears “starting” and never happens.... My app is online. Any clues?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
elvisenna

it worked! Must have been a problem with Wi-Fi!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AranBrico

Hi, I live in Mexico and I decided to download maps of my country and neighbors and I could download, Mexico, Guatemala and Belice, and everything was just fine, but when I started to download the last one -usa- I just couldn't, every 2 to 5 minutes, my wify failed and when i got more than half size, surprisingly, my data were erased (I dont know how). Tired of this situation, I decided to stop download anymore.

Please use plain text.