Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N9 - Walking navigation with street names

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

N9 - Walking navigation with street names

If instructions upon page 77 of N9 UG (Eng) not clear enough you do need to download appropriate voice file with street names as none installed by default.

After you have chosen "Walking person" icon > Get directions > Navigate you need to tap upon grey tool bar at base of screen 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicAfter selecting Voice Guidance > tap on select voice to reveal choices available. Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Wow, they don't make that easy to find!

Perhaps I'm missing something again but I can't select English with street names in the Drive app? The non-streetname voice also seems to be terribly low quality compared to my C7.

The Drive app seems to be missing a lot of features that are in the Symbian version also such as speed limit warnings and live traffic updates.

I hope we're going to see more updates to the N9 Drive app. Currently it feels like the Symbian version from 2 years ago.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
racerex

I am having the same problem.  I live in the USA and for some reasons street names are not announced during navigation mode.  Any tips?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@racerex

So you have downloaded English (US) with street names and get navigation instructions but no street names whilst "Walking"?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
racerex

I haven't tried "walking" yet.  I've only tried "driving" but I assume it should be the same.

When I go to select the language I only see 'English(US)'.  I don't see an option for 'English(US) with street names'.  Even when I go to download more languages I don't see that choice.

On my old Nokia E6 there was an option for 'English(US) with street names'. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
racerex

I just saw something interesting.  I am able to select 'English (US) with street names' in "walking" navigation mode.  But if I switchinto "driving" navigation the 'English (US) with street names' is no longer available!  Only the version without street names is available in "driving" navigation.  Does anyone know why?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@racerex

Whilst pure speculation can only assume that there must be too much of a time lag pulling out the information under MeeGo for use at vehicle speeds; it could also be a reason why drive navigation was never available for Nokia N900 Maemo device either from Nokia application.

Please use plain text.