Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N9 navigation behind Symbian version

Counsellor
Xose

N9 navigation behind Symbian version

[ Edited ]

Hi all, is there someone that can comment if there are plans to bring the current Nokia Maps and Drive version at least at the same functional level of Nokia Maps version for Symbian devices? Most sorely missed functionality in my opinion:

- VERY IMPORTANT: No choice how to navigate (shortest, fastest, optimized ...)

- VERY IMPORTANT: Missing time to destination

- VERY IMPORTANT: Life Traffic is misse

- IMPORTANT: Rerouting and alternate route not available

- IMPORTANT: Speed limit warnings

- IMPORTANT: No detailed lane guidance on highways

- LESS IMPORTANT: No My Own Voice support

- LESS IMPORTANT: No Text-to-Speech street names during guidance

Being spoiled by the experience on the N8, in my opinion the N9 car navigation solution at current state is a significant step backwards. Feel free to comment and add additional divergences between N9 and Symbian version.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kpblxa

Re: N9 navigation behind Symbian version

just to add: Speed cameras are missing as well
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Also can't view saved routes as I could on my 6710.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

Two more to add:

- VERY IMPORTANT: Interaction between contacts and navigation

- VERY IMPORTANT: Add waypoints to a route

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You can set up routes with waypoints on maps.nokia.com and then sync to your phone. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

You're right cjlim, Nokia Maps web-based functionality is very useful and nice, but covers only one use case, namely the comfortable trip planning in advance. A far more frequent use case for me at least is that I'm traveling and want to spontaneously take a particular route. For this use case - believe me - a offline route planner on the mobile is just worth gold.

What I
really do not understand is (specifically in this case, but quite in general, see above list of missed features), what the hell is riding Nokia on eliminating very useful features available in previous releases. For product-loyal customers like me, who really use navigation and do not just play arround with, a continuous improvement of the product with new, innovative features is very pleasant and exciting. But: to sacrifice well-implemented and proven features in its place without any comment nor providing equivalent replacement is in my opinion very, very annoying, confusing and completely not user oriented. May be that I'm absolutely not representative for the majority, but that's my feeling.

Don't get me wrong Nokia: Your mobile navigation solution beats all other by miles - but there's always room for improvement.:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

One more missed to add:

- IMPORTANT: On favorites organize collections and assign individual icon

Please use plain text.
Professor
bearshare

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with Xose.

Nokia Maps is one of the more precious assets that Nokia has. Why then remove features from it, when the expected and normal path would be to include new useful features? I don't know where Nokia is trying to go with Maps, as N9 version and v3.08 both suffer from the lack of features that were present on Maps 3.06.

I confess that maybe I'm starting to get a little worried about this Maps matter. A few months ago, I decided to keep up with Nokia (and not to go Android), mainly because travel is one of my passions and therefore I need a good Sat Nav system. So, as you already know, I bought a C6-01 and I'm very satisfied with the phone. But, this Maps issue is really starting to worry me, as there seems to be no guarantee about the future of Nokia Maps. Each new Maps version removes some very useful and popular features of previous versions. So, I'm not sure anymore if I made the best decision when I bought my C6-01.

Please use plain text.
kgblv

Could you please explain more how to sync route from maps.nokia.com to N9?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

[ Edited ]

Hm, good point kgblv, I guess routes are currently not synchronized at all, at least not one of my existing 26 on the maps web has found the way to my N9.

@cjlim:

Does it really work for you? In my case with over 340 favorites and missing structure on the N9 favourites (former available collections on other devices / software versions currently not supported on N9) I failed to realize the missing routes...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

Now that you've mentioned it, I went back to specifically look for routes. You are quite right. All my favourite places are there but none of the routes synched. I thought they were all there

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

Uuuups!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

Btw, I transmit all the awards to kgblv, he has detected the problem the first.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
michaelsydney

I am puzzled as to why I can not access my "Favourites" locations in Drive. To navigate to a Favourite place I must first open Maps, select "Get Directions" and then Drive will open and start searching for a route.
Please use plain text.