Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 with maps 3.0 always use data

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

N97 with maps 3.0 always use data

Everytime i connect to maps 3.0, it will make acces to internet (hiden), while i turned on that maps will not go online, it still sent data. I figured it out at log. Sent: 1 KB, received: 3KB, Any idea how to prevent Map 3.0 will 100% not make acces with the internet?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Re: N97 with maps 3.0 always use data

There are two things that could be causing this.

(1) In Maps, go to Options>Tools>Settings>Internet>Go online at startup and set this to 'No' or 'Always ask'.

(2) Close Maps and go Menu>Settings>Phone>Application sett.>PositioningPositioning methods and switch off Assisted GPS and Network based positioning.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks mate, solution 2 did it for me
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Unfortunately, this is the thing that need to be switch on before you can get any GPS signal on Maps 3.0

App > Location > Postioning > Position server > Positioning server use > automatic

So Map 3.0 really need a internet connection to enable the GPS sat, I disabled the above before, but cant get any gps signal, when turned on, its ok. Very strange!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
fwon2638

[ Edited ]

A-GPS and network based connection enable your mobile to get GPS signial faster and more accurate positioning. But you can still get GPS signal without them (just that you may have to wait for 5 minutes or more for the signal).

I am using a 6210 Nav (without A-GPS and network based connection), it takes around 4 minutes (on a sunny day outdoor) to get GPS connection.

Message Edited by fwon2638 on 08-Jul-2009 04:29 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well, it doesnt work on my N97 if i disabled the positioning server.

Waited for nearly 30 minutes in a open area outdoor, still blinking yellow and the compass doesnt work either.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xdin

[ Edited ]

Same here!. I waited almost 45 min. at the top of a viewing tower with clear sky without getting the GPS signal to "lock on". Once I enabled A-GPS I got signal in about 10-15 seconds.

Either N97 has really, really poor GPS receiver or this is just another one of those "few" firmware problems/malfunctions/bugs whatever.

For the sake of Nokia I really hope that N97 dev team is reading posts here at discussions regarding N97's issues

Message Edited by xdin on 14-Jul-2009 01:29 PM
Please Kudos! me if this post helped!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

You kept the maps application on screen during that period, right? Maps 3.0 puts the GPS hardware to sleep if you're not actually viewing the application.

If not, then something's wrong with your phone, I reckon. 5-10 min for the first lock-on without AGPS would be normal (it can use cached ephemeris data for future locks) but 45 min is taking the proverbial.

Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xdin

Actually I had Position application (Menu -> Applications -> Location -> GPS data -> Position) running but it was always on screen. I emailed to local Nokia Care here in Turku, Finland and they said that there must be something wrong with my N97.
Please Kudos! me if this post helped!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

Yeah, the position app should keep running even if it's not in front. Well, good luck with that!
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.