Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Navigation Cannot Start from this location. ER...

Advisor
Martinej1

Navigation Cannot Start from this location. ERROR ...

Navigation used to work fine on my X6, but since having to do a hard reset of the phone (due to other problems!) I cannot use the Navigation.

Everytime I get the error 'navigation cannot start at this location' and it doesn't seem like the phone can ever pick up my location.

I have tried un-installing and re-installing the application but to no-avail!

I haven't even wasted my time calling Nokia Support, as they are totally useless!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this please?

I am gutted, my phone used to be amazing, now it seems as soon as I resolve one issue, there becomes another!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: Navigation Cannot Start from this location. ERROR ...

Hi Martinej1

Sorry unfamiliar with menu icons in X6 but is there a "Location" in applications? If hard reset has corrupted network access point for Positioning Server then Assisted GPS feature may not be working obviating speedy location acquisition.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martinej1

Hi

Yes there is a Location button in Applications.

What do I need to check for and is this something I am able to fix?

Thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi Martinej1

Menu > Applications > Location > GPS data > Position > Options > Satellite status and numbered rectangular bar graphs of reception are visible; try going outside if poor signal and see if you get a positional lock. You can leave this application running and open OVI Maps and see what happens.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Hi, also in the Location app, go to Positioning Methods. If you are using Ovi Maps 3.04, uncheck the WiFi/Network option. Also, if you are using A-GPS, check Location>Positioning Methods>Positioning Server, set it to supl.nokia.com
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martinej1

Hi

Have tried both of these suggestions and still no luck.

It doesn't seem like there are any maps on the phone if that makes sense, because I am sure when I used to into navigation the street map would be displayed showing the last location, even before the GPS is found.

Now when I go to my position / location there is no map displayed at all..

Please can someone help...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi Martinej1

Try deleting E:\Cities and .qf file from memory card, run OVI Maps to define requisite folder structure and re-download regional maps. However if you define WLAN as access point in OVI Maps it would download mapping data as you zoom into your position and as you mention this image should appear next time you start OVI Maps as the last recorded position.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martinej1

Hi Scoobyman

I'm not very technically advanced when it comes to this phone. But i'm pretty sure my X6 doesn't have a seperate memorty card... its has 32gb phone memory!

I don't really understand about GPS etc, so not even sure if the settings are correct.

All I know is it was working fine before i had to do a hard reset on the phone, but since then I have had this problem.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received as I am pulling my hair out :-(

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi Marinej1

Sorry for that oversight but there still has to be the same directory structure on mass memory if you use the File Manager to look for it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martinej1

Thanks I will give that a try.

When you say download regional maps ... how do you do this..?

Basically after I done a hard reset of the phone, all I have downloaded is the Nokia Maps using the link from the Nokia website. Is there something else I need to download aswell...i.e the regional maps...?

I dont remember it being this complicated the time I done it before, but can;t really remember what I done..!

I'm totally confused...:-(

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
phanuelmas

i have this problem as well on my E71. Please people help.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Do you get the GPS Lock ? i.e. does it show your correct location (..the red dot at the top should stop flashing and also it should not display 'Waiting for GPS' if you select the Drive / Walk Navigation..)

If you get the lock and then the subject error.. it may be that there is no mapped street / road at that particular location.. Start the navigation when you reach a street / road that is on the map..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Beastrad

I'm having the same problem, doesn't shows streets on map anymore, when i try to set a destiantion to drive to no matter where i'm at (have even tried in another state) cannot start at this location. Please help, it worked a week ago then lil over a week ago then just stopped. I spent hours on the phone with customer service, they eventually after 5 hours said they stopped supporting GPS company wide...i have StraightTalk. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tacd

I have a straight talk E71. I replaced the 2GB SD that came with the phone with my 8GB from the old phone...the maps are preloaded on the ST SD card under city and maybe other files. I reloaded the files to the 8GB card and got my gps directions back. Hope its that easy for you.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

tacd wrote:
I have a straight talk E71. I replaced the 2GB SD that came with the phone with my 8GB from the old phone...the maps are preloaded on the ST SD card under city and maybe other files. I reloaded the files to the 8GB card and got my gps directions back. Hope its that easy for you.

This is fine provided that you enable "Show hidden & system files" on PC before copying!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
SatishSA

I have a Nokia C6-00. I updated the Ovi software and the maps. I am receiving this error since then. The GPS was a breeze till I did this software update on the device.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@SatishSA

Welcome to the forum!

Is there any mapping visible at your location?

To utilise OVI Maps v3.06 previous mapping has to be deleted and re-downloaded, issue probably caused by corrupt mapping data.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
GustavoFAlmeida

Hello,

I have a Nokia 5800 (Xpress Music) and never had a problem. I use nokie suite to backup frequently and do updates. Last week there was an update to the nokia maps and it completed sucessfully; things went wrong when I was on the road.

The GPS does locate where I am and keeps updating, it will even warn me if I drive above the limit but if I give it a destination, as soon as it's about to start the indications, an error message comes up (the same as indicated above, "navigation cannot start at this location").

I've uninstalled the software and the nokia maps program went back to the way it was when I bought the smartphone. I then connected it to the computer and updated. The problem keeps the same. Also tried updating directly using wi-fi but still doesn't work.

I also do regular backups with nokia suite and tried using one but I guess it doesn't affect this situation (maybe my favourite points).

Any tip?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

@ GustavoFAlmeida - 

Welcome to the Forum ..

Seems to be some issues with the latest Update as mentioned in THIS thread also .. May need a FIX from Nokia with another update ...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
panorton

After a huge update of my maps 3.06 using wifi direct to my N8 anytime I tried using destination on my phone only to get an error message "car navigation cannot start from this location". It didn't matter where I wanted to go to I got the same message. I use navigation more than any other app on my phone even phoning and texting and this is why I stay with Nokia so to loose my navigation would be a diaster. I googled the problem and found some tips to delete "cities" and any map files I could find but to no avail. I did a hard reset but stillI couldn't navigate and  in OVI Store Installed Apps I could see Ovi maps and navigation 3.6 and also 3.08. I googled how to delete Ovi Suite Installed apps and got the tip to install Nokia Suite 7.1 which I did and deleted every file with map in i's namet . I was left with a file maps 3.08 4kb in size which couldn't be deleted but I continued and installed Maps 3.06 again and after a little fine tuning I can now navigate with data turned off again. Yahoooeeeeee

Please use plain text.