Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Navigation on your Nokia. Free. Forever.

Employee

Navigation on your Nokia. Free. Forever.

[ Edited ]

ESPOO, Finland - Nokia has just pulled the dust sheet off a landmark development that sees the introduction of free global walk and drive satellite navigation for Nokia smartphones. Today's milestone move has been realized via a new version of Ovi Maps that includes voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation and a bunch of other smart sat-nav talents, initially covering 74 countries in 46 languages.

Read on to get the full lowdown on what's on offer. Plus, discover which Nokia handsets are immediately compatible with the new free sat-nav update of Ovi Maps.

One of the most exciting aspects of today's news is the fact that all new GPS-enabled Nokia smartphones from March 2010 will come with this fresh version of Ovi Maps installed, meaning free global sat-nav is now a staple ingredient in all top-end Nokia handsets from here on in. In the meantime Nokia is also making free sat-nav immediately available to heaps of existing devices - sharing pole position are the Nokia N97 mini, 5800 XpressMusic, 5800 Navigation Edition, E52, E55, E72, 5230, 6710 Navigator, 6730 classic and X6. More handsets are expected to be added over the coming weeks, and you'll be able to keep clued-in on the most up-to-date list of compatible devices at the Ovi Maps site.

As for how it'll all work, it really couldn't be simpler. Once you've got this latest version of Ovi Maps installed on your Nokia smartphone, you'll be faced with free instant worldwide access to top quality pedestrian and in-car sat-nav. It's all in there with no hidden costs or surprises, meaning you get unlimited access to free sat-nav for the entire lifetime of your device. When you're sat in the driver's seat you'll receive turn-by-turn voice guidance with smart features including lane guidance, traffic info (in over 10 countries), as well as safety camera and speed warnings. Likewise, on-foot you'll receive clever guidance that exploits shortcuts through parks and pedestrian-only spots for over 100 cities worldwide. This is bolstered by over 6,000 3D landmarks in over 200 cities to make it even easier to recognize where you are and where you need to be. Plus, this update includes free access to premium extras, such as Lonely Planet and Michelin guides with info on over 1,000 destinations.

You'll be able to tap into high quality and more energy efficient maps for over 180 countries - Ovi Maps features smart hybrid vector maps that are far less data-heavy than typical map images, meaning you can download and update them via your device faster and more efficiently. Storing these maps on your handset means your phone doesn't need to be connected to your network to stream info, saving extra battery juice for longer road trips or rambles.

Anssi Vanjoki is Executive Vice President at Nokia, and had this to say about today's announcement:

"We want to make using your mobile for navigation as familiar as using it to send a text or take a picture. We believe that making the best maps with voice guided navigation available for free will be the catalyst to do this. Why have a mobile phone and a separate car navigation system that works in only one country or region? Put the two together, make it free, make it global and you have something that is truly useful and can help you get round almost any city in the world whether you’re on foot or driving.”

If you own any of the handsets detailed above visit Ovi Maps to get free sat-nav on your Nokia device today.

Although i work for Nokia, my opinions are my own!

Got a Maps query? Check our Maps FAQ's
Please use plain text.
Sage

Why N97 is not supported? Only N97 mini :-(
Please use plain text.
Employee

Maps 3.03 for the N97 is going to be available from the 28th Jan 2010 via the IAD (also kown as Software Update).

Users of the N97 are advised to update their firmware after release, which will then make the Ovi Maps 3.03 application available for download.

Please use plain text.
Employee

josef_r wrote:
Why N97 is not supported? Only N97 mini :-(

Beat me to my second post...

Please use plain text.
Sage

Thank you for your fast reply and looking forward!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Links to Ovi Maps dont work for me, will it work on my N95? or should I upgrade to a N86?
Please use plain text.

Is anything known if (and if so, when) the 6220 Classic will be supported?

(Also a GPS equipped handset)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

What about Nokia N900 ? I know that it is having a relatively a new OS. But any update on release date will help.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

OK Nokia 5800

has ver 30.0.011

site says need 30.0.008 or later

so that's right

download and try to install - run Ovi

get

you are about to install maps

transferring maps

on phone get

install ovi maps 3.03(246)

ovi maps is not compatible with your device software version blah blah

then

installing

then unable to install no access

???

OVi then says

you do not have permission to install the application....

Message Edited by whoosh5800 on 21-Jan-2010 10:35 AM
Please use plain text.
Employee

If your device is not currently supported, please check www.nokia.com/maps from time to time to check for more compatible devices.

Cheers

Chris

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I think you will find the Nokia 5800 IS supported - it's on the supported list and it already runs maps ! But it says the licence has expired.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi, good news!

When will be a update for the 6210 Navigator available?

Greetings from Germany!

Please use plain text.
Employee

whoosh5800 wrote:

OK Nokia 5800

has ver 30.0.011

so that's right

get

transferring maps

on phone get

then

installing

???

OVi then says

Hi Woosh5800,

You need to update your firmware - Ovi Maps 3.03 requires firmware version 31.0.008 or greater (not 30.0.008 as you listed). Use Nokia Software Updater to do this (http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update)

Once you have upgraded to 31.0.008 or greater you should be ok to reinstall Ovi Maps 3.03.

KR
Chris

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

whoosh5800 wrote:

OK Nokia 5800

has ver 30.0.011

so that's right

get

transferring maps

on phone get

then

installing

???

OVi then says

Hi Woosh5800,

You need to update your firmware - Ovi Maps 3.03 requires firmware version 31.0.008 or greater (not 30.0.008 as you listed). Use Nokia Software Updater to do this (http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update)

Once you have upgraded to 31.0.008 or greater you should be ok to reinstall Ovi Maps 3.03.

KR
Chris

That's VERY odd, as where I come from  30.0.011 is a bigger number than 30.0.008 !

"OK Nokia 5800

has ver 30.0.011

site says need 30.0.008 or later"

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi Woosh5800,

whoosh5800 wrote:

That's VERY odd, as where I come from  30.0.011 is a bigger number than 30.0.008 !

"OK Nokia 5800

has ver 30.0.011

Indeed that is the same for me. Firmware required however is 31.0.008 or later, not 30.0.008 or later. ;-)

I have checked the nokia.com site and this is listed. If you are looking at another site, please let me know which so i can check and correct.

KR
Chris

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Not for my Nokia (E71) it seems!

-J-

Please use plain text.

Will the free navigation be supported for E71 in the future?  Is there an estimated date for that?

Thank you,

Dries

Please use plain text.

What about the forgotten N500
Please use plain text.

After having updated my phone to the 31.xxxx firmware, when I try to install the update, everything seems to go fine. Then an aplication 'ovi maps installer' pops up, saying 'preparing installation'. Then i simply get an 'unknown error -5' and the program quits. The version of my maps program (checked in the program's about option) is till 3.01. But when i go to installed applications it sais ovi maps version 3.03(246) installed.

Anyone else having the same problem?

(also, in the list of installed applications, it also still has nokia maps intalled. Should i uninstall both this nokia maps entry, and the ovi maps entry before trying to install the new version?

Cheerz

Dracorius

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Woosh5800,

whoosh5800 wrote:

"OK Nokia 5800

has ver 30.0.011

Indeed that is the same for me. Firmware required however is 31.0.008 or later, not 30.0.008 or later. ;-)

I have checked the nokia.com site and this is listed. If you are looking at another site, please let me know which so i can check and correct.

KR
Chris

Ooops! Ah Ha ! - "31" - when I try to update it says no updates available ??? So how do I get that in the UK then....

Please use plain text.