Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Navigation on your Nokia. Free. Forever.

Counsellor

[ Edited ]
If I am using only Integrated GPS, will the navigation work ? And what is the different between AGPS and Network Based ?
Message Edited by GeorgiVasilev on 24-Jan-2010 04:30 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Navigation on your Nokia. Free. Forever. Or never?

stewartlux - thanks for your reply about the 6210 Navigator. Yes, I have changed the setting to stop it going online. But if I don't go online, it switches off the GPS unit!

Nokia don't seem to know what they are doing. They have not explained what different phones can and can't do now, and they have not explained which phones they will later make work.  For those that technically cannot be upgraded, if there are some, they could provide free licences.

They are completely failing to support their customers. They have managed to try to do something good, and turn it into a disaster.

Please wake up Nokia Management. Your website is a shambles. You don't need all that pretty stuff, just give us simple information for each phone in ordinary text. What do we install? How? What will it do? When?  It really isn't hard. If I worked there I could collect the information in a day and have it on the web the day after.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

the new maps version is very good indeed,except one problem. the screen doesn't orient itself according to the direction im travelling. and it becomes really difficult to understand whether right is right,or left !! it was there in the previous version,and i found that to be very convenient.

i just hope that gets corrected in the next update....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Navigation on your Nokia. Free. Forever. Or never?

The only reason Nokia have made the new free map software is to compete with Googles phones that have free mapping service.   A phone based gps service is better than the online google service as I live in an area that has poor 3G reception when I travel out of town.

I tried the free trial of the voice service on the old software and that worked well,  it would have been easy for Nokia to make the old maps free or a small charge, for those of us that have phones with custom firmware we are stuck up the creek without a paddle, as the largest maker of phones worldwide Nokia has the ability to fix this problem for all customers by simply changing the licence cost of the old maps. 
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi, for my expressmusic 5800 bought unloked in october from Vodafone Romania, with firmware 21.x.xxx 

I cannot put a newer OS.

1. is the map availabile?

2. it is vodafone-romania's fault? or nokia?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

hey hi!! i think i have ans for ur question..just download the nokia map loader run it and connect ur phone in pc suit mode and then thr will be a option to delete stored maps on phone hit it and ur done....and then download fresh maps....
dheeraj
Please use plain text.
Sage
cooldudsubho

i would like to know from nokia when will popular devices like n82,n95 be also also be entitled to free navigation.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hey hichcacoc thingy------ 

Just bought a 5800 because of the free world-wide maps. 

Upgraded everything but they will not install.  My firmware only upgraded to 30.0.011.  My 5800 shows "type RM-356"   does this mean it's too old to run the new maps, even though I just bought it? 

what can I do?  I'm using my PC with a USB link to do the upgrades

30.0.011. My 5800 shows "type RM-356" does this mean it's too old to run the new maps, even though I just bought it? what can I do? I'm using my PC with a USB link to do the upgrades

Bet you are on 3 - you can't upgrade to a software version that will allow free maps - do a search on product code update

Please use plain text.
Sage
imx2

well today i have checked out the whole free nav on my E55 and what did i found.. Great conectivity (it connects really fast compare with the older version. as i experianced. may b some one else have different exp.) i already have life time walk navigation which i love to use. thx again to nokia but something is missing in the map and it is simulation.. and i think it´s also a nice feature if nokia add it into the latest ver.
¨Arm yourself because no one else here will save you¨
Please use plain text.

"Although N868GB is not officially supported by the OviMaps 3.03 I did installed the application on mine and it works like a charm and I am very happy for that. I do not see any bugs and If I do I will report them immediatly"

I have an n86 and can verify this as well.

Please use plain text.
Sage
shyam0610

Hi,

My 5800 product code is 0575590, when checked for firmware upgrade it says your phone is up to date i.e V 30.0.011so pl tell me from where i can download the 31.0.008 version? i live in india so pl help as i get error when i install new ovi maps ** not compatible current device software version**.

Regards

Sam

-Sam
--------------------
Hit Kudos to show your appreciation.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

"Although N868GB is not officially supported by the OviMaps 3.03 I did installed the application on mine and it works like a charm and I am very happy for that. I do not see any bugs and If I do I will report them immediatly"

I have an n86 and can verify this as well.

This is true, but I dont think you have voice guidness for free, as nokia said, just for specified phones..n97 mini, 5800,...

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I am afraid that Ovi Maps 3.03 is available only on selected devices running the Symbian S60 OS. (current listings will be expanded in the future) 

The 6700 runs the S40 OS and so will not be able to make use of this release.

KR

Chris

Hi Chris,

Does that mean people who have just purchased a brand new Nokia 6700 Classic with built in GPS will have to continue paying for the service while all their fellow Nokia owners that just happened to buy S60 phones can enjoy Navigation for free??

A little unfair I think!!! Can't nokia just disable the request for a license purchase on S40 phones for Nokia Maps? Or release a firmware update to remove the need to purchase Navigation?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

It's still unclear for me, why we have to wait for a new version of ovi maps to arrive (if ever) to an older phone (I'm waiting for the E75), when Nokia could have easily handed out free licenses for the existing navigation program. Just proice them to $0.00 in the existing shop.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Szigi, refreshing to see a sensible post in this otherwise moan thread!

Perhaps your comment will be taken on board by Nokia. Sounds sensible to me!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Navigation on your Nokia. Free. Forever. N86 Compass problems

Can anyone try to check N86 with new OviMaps 3.03 if there is compass problem because I have confirmed that the compass circle when you press the 5 key is Red forever meaning that it can never goes to green state. Please check that also in several phones n97mini X6 5800 and others....
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Navigation on your Nokia. Free. Forever. N86 Compass problems

Ignore my previous message about the Compass it finally worked..... 
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Lots of moaning here :smileywink: I sent an email of complaint into NOKIA and got this reply back so far...

I would encourage everyone who are not favoured as a customer by NOKIA to send in a similar note of complaint! Let's get free maps for all!!! :smileyhappy:

Dear Stuart

Thank you for contacting Nokia Customer Service.

I have logged your mail as feedback to Nokia, so that Nokia is aware of how you as a customer feel regarding this. 

If you should have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards
Elin Nilssen
Nokia Service Care

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi Chris,

Does that mean people who have just purchased a brand new Nokia 6700 Classic with built in GPS will have to continue paying for the service while all their fellow Nokia owners that just happened to buy S60 phones can enjoy Navigation for free??

A little unfair I think!!! Can't nokia just disable the request for a license purchase on S40 phones for Nokia Maps? Or release a firmware update to remove the need to purchase Navigation?

Nokia will continue with its paid license model for all existing S40 devices for the time being. The reason for this is that developing on different platforms takes different times. S60, the platform where Nokia is more agile, can try out new services with the Explore category devices. When developing for the Series 40 platform we have to take extreme focus on ease of use as Series 40 is the mass market platform. We are continuously developing the experiences across multiple platforms and are now taking the first steps on Series 40 side by introducing the first Series 40 devices with built-in GPS. We do not offer refunds for these users.
Although i work for Nokia, my opinions are my own!

Got a Maps query? Check our Maps FAQ's
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Nokia will continue with its paid license model for all existing S40 devices for the time being. The reason for this is that developing on different platforms takes different times. S60, the platform where Nokia is more agile, can try out new services with the Explore category devices. When developing for the Series 40 platform we have to take extreme focus on ease of use as Series 40 is the mass market platform. We are continuously developing the experiences across multiple platforms and are now taking the first steps on Series 40 side by introducing the first Series 40 devices with built-in GPS. We do not offer refunds for these users.

But you do offer refunds now to S60 users? Or is it still "fair play" that a significant amount of Nokia customers have valid license subscriptions, eg recently bought services a year ahead and now Nokia nullifyid the need to pay for it?

Helsinki, N97 White gone to recycling, now trying N97Mini...
Please use plain text.