Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Unsuccessful renewing of licences

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: Navigation on your Nokia. Free. Forever.

Uh, if it prompts you to go to shop, you have Ovi Maps 3.01...You need 3.03 to get the free navigation.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Maps search address does not work + catch-22 when updater does not connect

1. Problems with Maps.

I have my E71 for 3 years now.

The maps were on of the main reason why I did not buy an iphone (together with easy battery change, keyboard etc..)

Tried every possible tip to get maps working. It did not.

I must have spent a total of over 50 hours at it, using different computers (windowsXP)

I typically do this (like now) while on vacation, with "this cannot be true, lets give it another try".

This time I bought a new memory card, to start with 100% clean slate.

Lo and behold, the maps appear on my phone and unbelievably, they connect with the GPS.

WHat a big step forward: I can see where I am!!!

Problem: the next step does not work. I cannot use it to navigate. Maps search does not find any streets when offline. I get the message: “No results found offline” even when my phone is online (WiFi)

The strange thing: when I do search/places I can find stations and restaurants: and the navigation works perfectly !!! With voice and everything.

2. Problems connecting updaters to phone

A lot of advice on the forums advise to update.

It  drives me nuts that the updaters (maps and software) cannot find my phone.

My Phone is 100% perfectly connected by USB with my computer. The PC Suite works perfectly. I can sync, explore etc... hence the link must be perfect.

However, when I try any kind of updater: I get the message: Unable to find device.

This is today. Yesterday it worked. It might work again in an hour, tomorrow, next week, or a year from now. Who knows.

Conclusion: I got caught in a typical CATCH 22: I try to resolve my updater-software problem , for which I need … the updater software that does not work.

Please use plain text.
bahmany

Re: 6700 Classic: Ovi Maps?

Dear sir

I have a nokia 6700 classic. I don't know what maps version is suitable for my mobile . kindly ask you to help me .

best regards

A.Aghaei

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

Re: 6700 Classic: Ovi Maps?

Your handset has Ovi Maps for S40 built in, and it can only be updated by a Software Update (firmware update) on your device. It won't run the versions of Ovi Maps being discussed here.
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
xianp

Unsuccessful renewing of licences

Hi,

I have been trying to renew my licences for two days,  w/o success:  When i type the details of my credit card, nothing comes back telling it has been accepted (or refused).

Also, I'm not proposed to be charged through my phone bill (as I was before).

I just cannot extend my licences which are expiring....

Is Nokia blocking money transfers ?

Somebody from Nokia I called today told me some activity might be going on these days about the free for ever which could be extended to more models....   (careful..........).

I have one question to somebody who could have tried the same thing I did: DId you succeed ?:smileysurprised:

Tks.

E51 @ 400.34.011 RM-244 Maps V3.01 09wk44 Map version 0.123.112

E52 @ 052-003 RM469 Maps V3.04 10wk32 Map version 0.1.25.114
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

When I spoke with Nokia support it was like he was some lower down employee that had no idea what the software development team was doing.    We won't have to deal with the nokia **bleep** much longer as what I am hearing in the media is the iphone and google nexus are the more popular choices in the USA.  Nokia can't continue sticking to business practices it had ten years ago or it will continue to loose market share.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tinkerbell54

I have just bought the Nokia 5230 and downloaded Ovi Maps. When I use 'Locate' I just get a blank screen with the red dot in the middle. If I scroll out eventually half the screen shows half of Britain.

If I try to use the navigation it never finds my coordinate.

What's wrong? No one seems to be able to help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

paulwb: Nokia handsets have never had much traction in the US, before the iPhone and Android it was pretty much just the Blackberry and Windows Mobile as far as smartphones went.

As far as Europe goes, Nokia's smartphone share is down from 50% to 40% since 2007, but it's still larger than most of the smaller players put together.

Was it Nokia UK you contacted? I believe that Nokia's UK customer support is outsourced, so there's no way they'd be able to reach software development. In an absolute last-ditch, absolutely-have-to-contact-the-software-team scenario, learn some conversational Finnish and contact Nokia through Nokia.fi. They have the hook-up with R&D.
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lohws

Hi, thank you very much! It Works!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lohws

Hello carydc. You said you managed to get a 5800 working with maps. Could you provide a step by step instruction on how to update maps 3.01 to 3.03 please? I also have a E52 & upgrading its 3.01 to 3.03 was a breeze, it was practically transparent. I think the updating was done when I downloaded a selection of maps to the E52. However,not so with the 5800.

Like you, my wife has the 5800 & I am at a lost as to how to upgrade it. I have managed to download the software maps_installer_3.03 etc into my PC, but can't find a way to install that into the 5800.

Much obliged!

Please use plain text.
Professor

lohws

To transfer the application from your PC to your phone, connect the PC to the phone using the USB lead and then use Nokia PC Suite to transfer it to your phone.

You then need to use Maps Updater from your PC and select the Maps and voice(s) you require to be transferred to your phone.

(By the way, your previous post said "it works" - what worked?)

History: Always Nokia since 1994 including Nokia 2140, 7110e, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6230i, N82
Current: Nokia N8 (Anna - I have no intention of going to Belle) - and delighted with it!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lohws

Hi Tangarine,

I went through the procedure you provided for the 5800. Deleted "Cities", downloaded the .exe file for 3.03 & when I connected the 5800 to the PC via OVI suites, pop-ups indicated the 3.03 is being loaded into the 5800. But, when i checked, it was still 3.01. I wonder if the firmware V40 that I updated the phone to has anything to do with it.

Very frustrating!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ps - Updating the E52 was so much easier!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lohws

Hi Tangerine,

The E52 works!

OK, I will try updating the 5800 again.

thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

.exe file? There is no .exe file for Ovi maps 3.03, or were you referring to a .sis file?

Get the sis file direct onto your phone and install it from there.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lohws

Hi chanchan05

oops, you are right, it is  .sis file.... err how do I get that file into the phone? Use File manager? Into the Phone Memory, right? Sorry, but I am new to all this.

Many thanks

Please use plain text.

I had a sms from Nokia at 11.32 today: (UK) Free sat nav forever on your nokia E71.  Followed the link supplied and downloaded the app.  Within 5 minutes it was installed and working!  Free sat nav forever..  Prob the best thing Nokia has ever given  to me for free!!!  Big thanks to NOKIA.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cjhancock

Odd results from "Browse Categories"

Free turn-by-turn navigationn on my e71 is great, but...

I'm in the UK and when I use "Browse Categories" I'd expect to get nearly results.  But the results I get are in places like Ghana and Nigeria!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gfnn

[ Edited ]

lonzi wrote:

I had a sms from Nokia at 11.32 today: (UK) Free sat nav forever on your nokia E71.  Followed the link supplied and downloaded the app.  Within 5 minutes it was installed and working!  Free sat nav forever..  Prob the best thing Nokia has ever given  to me for free!!!  Big thanks to NOKIA.  :smileyhappy:

Don't be too happy...

If Nokia keeps behaving like this, in an year or two your phone will become too old and you won't get any more updates, making the free sat nav completely useless.

Just like TomTom Navigator 6 for Symbian.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Connect your phone to the PC via PC suite or mass storage mode.

In PC suite mode there are two ways, Open Ovi Suite and wait for the phone to set up and sync (if you set it to automatic), the double click the sis file. Or you could just open the phone icon in my computer and drop the sis file into the memory card.

In mass storage mode drop the sis file into the memory card.

Safely remove the phone from the PC (In mass storage mode, just like a normal flash drive, for PC Suite make sure than Nokia PC Suite or Ovi Suite are turned off), and open file manager and enter memory card. Look for the sis file you dropped into it and open it. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@Gfnn - uhm, isnt that normal for any phone and brand? Two years is a normal lifespan for a phone's use and most people would be replacing phones in two years, so phone support is expected to be dropped after two years.

Please use plain text.