Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Need to pop my map-cherry..... Help!!

Louise_N8

Need to pop my map-cherry..... Help!!

I'm am seriously confused so please bear with me, but I need some major help.

I have an N8 on o2. I am going away and need to use the sat nav for some business trips, but I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. I know how to get directions, I'm just not sure about using them.

I need help re the GPS and how it works. Is it free or does it come out of my wap data allowance? If it comes out of my data allowance - I've got to travel from one side of the country to the other on a big route, and then a little route the next day before coming home. Is 750mb enough or am I going to have a massive bill?

Thanks for any help in advance :smileyhappy:

Louise

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Need to pop my map-cherry..... Help!!

Maps for UK are pre-loaded but you will find that by default the "Assisted GPS" positioning method feature will repeatedly try to access an o2 data connection to download very small amounts of data 3-5kb. Some network providers charge in minimum 10kb units so even at that rate 100 downloads = 1MB so even if it asked for a connection for once a minute there is absolutely no problem here.

Pleas bear in mind that OVI Maps application itself may either be "Online" or "Offline" go to Spanner icon > Internet > Connection - Online or Offline. Can be used in "Offline" mode but won't get traffic updates.

Also you would need to set Voice Navigation in Spanner icon > Navigation > Drive guidance 

If you scroll down this page you can enable "Safety spot warner" although application needs to be "Online" to download 1.0.0.36.europe.cdt containing this data.

If OVI Maps used "Online" can also have benefit of traffic updates if enabled in Spanner icon > Navigation > Traffic info update - choice of Manual, every 5,10,20 and 40 minutes.

Warning device from o2 will have OVI Maps v3.04 installed, if you accept any update prompts from OVI Suite > Tools > Software Updates on PC -  ALL old map data will be deleted as latest v3.06 Maps uses new map data.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Louise_N8

thank you so much for your help :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
CLTSchwarz

Are you going overseas?  If you are then download the maps from that country to your phone first.  You can use ovi suite from Ovi.com to put the maps on your phone.

Also you can plan your route online and then sync it to your phone if you want.  http://maps.ovi.com  It is a very nice feature.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

aspergerguy wrote:

Warning device from o2 will have OVI Maps v3.04 installed, if you accept any update prompts from OVI Suite > Tools > Software Updates on PC -  ALL old map data will be deleted as latest v3.06 Maps uses new map data.

The above advice only given within the context of reply to specific post above, where user with working OVI Maps v3.04 on N8 going on business trip the following day to avoid bother of having to download new mapping for use with latest v3.06

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.