Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

New 920 - Serious GPS Problems

SloopJB

Re: New 920 - Serious GPS Problems

I had a similar problem on my 920.  

• Navigon would connect to a GPS, but then immediately lose the lock (i.e., accuracy within 3000 meters or something like that).
  • Nokia Drive would find then initial location where I was at, but would say 0 MPH and not update even if I have driven miles

I played with the phone some and discovered that I had GasBuddy (which uses Location Services in the background) was running.  I killed it, and then the GPS started working normally.  Perhaps you have something running in the background which is corrupting the Location Services stack and is preventing the GPS from functioning properly.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SeanWilliams

ok.   I have now had my 920  for 3 days,   1st 12 hours configuring playing and sleeping,   had to go somewhere on the 1st full day and tried  Drive,  looked very good, except kept losing  GPS signal.

After reading this and a few other sites,  thought I would try something before calling Nokia care.

From the other threads I read, were items about  Locations stacking issues.    I disabled all apps in the background except for drive,   then clicked Advanced, and saw a few other apps that couldn't be disabled ( I left Skype and Spotify )  but  uninstalled all other items running (   eg  Outsider and a couple of others I think WP7 apps )

Today , I have used Drive twice  with absolutely  no problems,  both drives around 30 mins each,  no lock ups, no shaky GPS  or loss or GPS.  Perfect.   

So if you do have a problem  look in the Background   for apps that can't be disabled,   I think something in there isn't quite right...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mobo

my lumia 920 gps was acting up and using AGPS , until i installed and ran "GPS satellite" app

seem to have turned on the real gps some how

hope this will help people who got the same problem 

Please use plain text.
shadow92

[ Edited ]

I would appreicated if people stop positing postive comments, if there GPS has been working for 5 minutes (or 30-60 minutes).

I have now sent my phone in for repairs as has Serious GPS issues on 10 occasions. ALways perfect GPS, until somewhere between 45-75 minutes. Then it just stops.

So I have borrowed a friends Nokia 920 while myn is on repair. He isn't using it because he hates it.

So what happens??? After 45 minunits of my last run, GPS simply stopped. I think this is a major hardware issue.

Anyone saying GPS is fine, hasn't used their GPS for more than 60+ minutes. The GPS is shocking

2 phones and both have same issues.

my wifes nokia 820 doesn't have these issues.

Such a terrible phone..

Please only post an update to this thread if you have used your GPS for more than 60+ minutes and for at least 3 occasions.. Don't post say it worked fine for me for 5 minutes...

Anyone posting "Other application" **bleep**, my 820 has the exact same applications on it as my 920. It has never ever had a single GPS issue. So stop talking **bleep**. WIndows mobile 8 is a awesome OS that can handle stuff like this.. the nokia 920 is simply a bad buggy phone

Please use plain text.
Umshandige

Hi Guys, I just want to enquire regards the N920 and its Navigation.

I am shopping around at the moment and like what I have seen and read about the N920?

However when checking this thread on the forum re GPS, I see that you comment regarding dedicated GPS selection/mode vs. A-GPS selection/mode. From the specifications page on Nokia's website for the 920 they state the following.....

GPS and navigation Positioning features....

• Magnetometer
  • A-GPS
  • Glonass
  • Cellular and Wi-Fi network positioning

As they do not mention that words 'GPS Receiver', does this mean the N920 is only A-GPS capable???????

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
garym11

I have made more than 6 drives through Dallas, Ft Worth from or to home, about a 90 minute trip. I used Drive and HERE Drive, 920, charging all the way every time. I have not had any problems with it. Even played music that is on the phone during the drives.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mipa13

Thanks mate!

My new Lumia 920 could'nt get GPS-signal in HERE Drive Beta.

I installed and ran "GPS satellite" app too and now i have GPS-signal within 15 sec. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I've noticed very flaky GPS performance as well.  Been for a number of walks/runs using various apps (HERE maps, Sports Tracker and Runtastic to name a few) and the frequency of loss of signal is alarming.  My movements regularly leave my normal route on a zig zig for many hundreds of metres from where I'm actually walking.  It sometimes stops tracking completely.

There certainly does appear to be some issues in this department and I'm hoping that things will be improved with future releases.

Please use plain text.
shadow92

So my phone has been sent to nokia care centre 3 times.

Each time, i believe i have a new main board placed in my phone.

But still the serious GPS issues remain.

I thought the last time, the issues were resolved. 4 runs for 90 minutes with perfect GPS. Then the last 3, horrible GPS problems. Nothing has changed.

I have disabled ALL background tasks. Always reboot just before the run. Tried multiple running applications. But no. GPS just goes missing after 30+ minutes, and kicks in for a minute or two before goes missing again.

THIS HAS TO BE A DESIGN FAULT...HOW CAN 3 DIFFERENT MAIN BOARDS + 4 other collegues all have the same issue?

Generally GPS is perfect. 

My wife's nokia 820 has never ever had a single GPS fault.

I will be attempting to take this **bleep** phone back on monday for a refund. This phone was simply released too early with too many hardware issues. My 3 year old, 1st gen Windows Phone 7 phone never had these GPS issues. And it cost only 1/2 the amount.

Very disapointing nokia.....Just **bleep**.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
damnsilly

i'm from msia too~ been facing this problem~ still can't manage to fix it even after sending to nokia care~
would you please tell me ur setting on the app~ perhaps this might help~

it's kind a weird for my case... it can sometimes work for both online and offline~ but the saddest part is that with data plan, i can detect very quickly... but once i start routing(navigation)... the cursor will freeze and will not proceed to move any longer... then for like 10 mins + or 20mins~ it will move again... worst part is not moving at all~ and i totally give up on it... =(

Please use plain text.
shadow92

You can't fix this problem. It is a either a serious hardware fault of software fault. I am thinking it is a hardware fault, as we dont hear about this problem with HTC windows phone 8 phones.

My phone has now  been repaired 3 times, with 3 different main boards, and also used a friends 920 while my phone was in for repair.

All phones has GPS issues.. Usually the GPS is perfect...then sometimes it just stops for 5-10 minutes. This is not acceptable if you are a running, or cycle.

I use this routine now, and have a 80% success rate (why do i have to use a routine just to get GPS to work...but anyway).

- Check to ensure no background enabled apps. disable all of them, except the running app i will use

- check to ensure background wifi is off

- reboot phone

- start music

- start running app

with this procedure, i have 80% perfect GPS... but still 20% failure rate...But better then what i had, before i used this procedure....

Stupid **bleep** phone...how an such a basic function such as GPS be so **bleep**. My 4 year old, 1st gen windows 7 phone was better... FIX THIS NOW.

Please use plain text.
Jukkis

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
twangler

I, too, am seeing poor GPS performance.  The original 920 I purchased would locate me in lower Manhattan for 10-30 seconds, then somewhere in MN (where I am).  Roughly 1 minute later, I will have a solid, GPS lock.  This is indoors.  Outside, no obsructions, 25 seconds, a solid lock.  Same scenario as above, just faster trip!

My 900 had a great GPS / A-GPS set up.  Scenario above, 3-8 seconds, indoors.

I am fully surprised this aspect took such a step backward

Please use plain text.
shadow92

I am on my 3rd nokia 920 now, all with the same problems.

I thought the latest phone was all good... Did 5 runs with no problems at all.

Then last night, after 30 minutes GPS stopped. I rebooted phone, switched running applications and away it went..20 minutes later GPS stopped again.

Going to take it back today and see if i can get a refund and buy nokia 820 or another phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
smithtoddr

I am having GPS problems, too.  I've tried reset, removing apps, etc., etc.  I live in Orange County California.  The locator shows i'm 3 to 4 miles from my location at intermittment times.  I travel extensively and relied heavily on my iPhone for walking or driving.  I have no faith whatsoever and can't rely at all on the Nokia for directions now.  This is very dissapointing for a flagship phone. 

Here is an example, right this second, I'm sitting in my office and I'm running GPS Satelite (cool app BTW), and the locator shows that I'm essentially running up and down the street randomly, instead of sitting still.  The iPhone I have shows that I'm sitting still.

IS ANYONE FROM NOKIA SUPPORT READING THESE POSTS?  WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL RESPONSE?  MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHAT IS THE FIX?!?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Just wondering if anyone has noticed an improvement with GPS?

It has been unusable for me the last few days. It barely holds a lock for more than a minute outside under clear sight to the sky.

Hugely disappointing.

Don't know why I feel I keep having to say that I like my 920 on the whole but I'm finding the very many issues here and there on the phone and WP8 to be extremely frustrating.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nowhereman

Hello, I'm having same problems. I have a Lumia 820 and a Lumia 920. I started same application at same time, and Lumia 820 gets location in seconds, but the Lumia 920 takes a long time to get one position (with less accuracy)..

Yesterday was running with the Lumia 920 and it stops to work, after a few meters.

However I noticed that if you turn the lumia 920's back to sky, the GPS seems to be faster and with better accuracy.

I don't know if anybody else tried...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mitch7

My Lumia 920 GPS worked perfectly until I loaded Google maps. Google maps works in conjunction with Here Drive. However I then found that my phone would not be able to locate GPS at all. Eventually I removed Google maps (re booted) and now it woks perfectly using Here Drive standalone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Belotto

I am taking same issues, it happens with here drive and waze, it takes too long to lock and frequently lost position.

ita curious that my software (waze ou drive) don't realize that position is lost.
Please use plain text.