Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

No Voice Guidance under Bluetooth

No Voice Guidance under Bluetooth

The "No Voice Guidance under Bluetooth" problem seems to be well documented on this board as well as elsewhere on the web, and can be sumarize like this:

In-Car bluetooth connections that work fine for phonecalls will not relay voice directions from Maps, and the phone itself stays mute. In effect, no voice directions are heard at all.

The reason seems clear as well: The bluetooth standard allows for several different kinds of sound-streams for priority purposes etc. Most In-Car bluetooth devices however (including several NOKIA-ones), accept only actual phonecalls. Hence, all oher sound is muted while connected to the car.

The rather obvious solution would be to have a setup-item in Ovi-Maps that forces all sound from the program to use the phones integrated speakers instead of an operative Bluetooth connection. (Use Bluetooth connection for Voice directions On/Off). 

However, over all the posts, NO NOKIA STAFF have responded to aknowledge the problem or comment on it's possible solution or workaround. (And I have not found any third party app that adresses the issue.)

One might speculate that the reason would be the design of the operating system, choosing to handle all sound in a similar way, which undoubtedly is a good thing ... in most cases, but in this case dissalows usage of the free navigation in the one situation it is of the highest value - IN THE CAR.  

NOW - as FREE NAVIGATION becomes a major selling point and the aplication can't work in a modern car while maintaining legal phone connectivity, NOKIA needs to accept this reality, and make Ovi-maps useable for these users as well - even if that means defying a design principle. An actual response from someone informed, would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, I use version 3.03 10wk01 b05 of Ovi-maps on my NOKIA N97 mini with a factory fitted Alfa Romeo "Blue&Me" bluetooth kit, developed by Microsoft Automotive.

Please use plain text.

Re: No Voice Guidance under Bluetooth

Same problem here.....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Same problem with an N97 & Qashqai :-(
Please use plain text.
Sage
naf1970

Same problem here... Nokia N97 mini in Audi A3 factory installed bluetooth module.

I hope Nokia solve this problem soon !!!

Nokia N8 / N9 / Lumia 920 White
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Same problem here. Hoda Accord 2009 with factory built-in handsfree (called Honda HFT). Voice is directed to BT HF and I can't switch it to phone speaker. Nav4All works perfectly - voice comes from phone speaker.
Please use plain text.

I have a 5800 xpress music working through a bury bluetooth hands free with the same problem.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Krzysiek333

Hallo,

the same problem with N97 and CK-600!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
same problem for me too: Honda Insight Hybrid with integrated Bluetooth and.... no voice guidance from my Nokia. Very annoying, I bought the 5230 to use navigation IN the car....!!!
Message Edited by slash67 on 30-Jan-2010 09:37 PM
Please use plain text.

Same problem here with 5800 version 31.0.101.235.10 using a Bury CC9060 car kit. Contact Bury but they are blaming the handset for not sending a muting signal.

Interestingly though it did work when I recieved a call, I presume because the connection was already open for the call. And, although there is a slight delay in the voice coming through, this functionality worked with a Parrot CK3100 kit I have in another car.

It is damn annoying because as was said before Nokia Maps is most useful in the car!

Please use plain text.
zayamatias

Exactly same issue with Mercedes built-in bluetooth. Voice only appears when there is a phone call in course.

Please use plain text.

I have the exactly the same problem, regardless do I use the Nokia bluetooth BH-101 or the Nokia - manufactured bluetooth car set integrated to the Ford Mondeo. Only works with a wired headset.

Please use plain text.

Same problem with Nokia N79 and a new Volvo V70 with factory fitted bluetooth!

lupus

Please use plain text.
Contributor
antonian

I am having problems with the voice guidance with uConnect on a Jeep. The uConnect and the 5800 nav do pair up and function well as a telephone but once connected the voice guidance disappears. It randomly reappears when the phone is in use and will drown out the conversation. Something needs to be done to either use the Bluetooth connection or retain the voice guidance through the telephone.
Please use plain text.
Sage
naf1970

I would like to know if someone from Nokia can give us a reply to this problem.

Will Nokia solve this problem?

GPS makes no sense without voice guidance in the car, and most of us uses BT kits in the car for phone connection.

Nokia, please tell us something about this!!!

Thanks

Nokia N8 / N9 / Lumia 920 White
Please use plain text.

I also have this issue. Mercedes C250 and Nokia E72. I have to choose navigation with Bluetooth off or sound on but no hands free. This is no good. Phone locks up regularly too :-(

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

_

I don't have this issue. But then I don't have a BT system built-in to the car.

What I do have is a Sony BT Radio / CD / AUX which I fitted myself.

The Sony has 2 "channels" for BT input - "Music" and "Phone". I can connect my N97 using both of these channels,or only one. The SatNav function on the phone uses the Music channel, and the phone uses the Phone channel.

I also have an Archos 5 IT, which has GPS and BT. So I can connect my Archos for the Satnav, and the N97 for the phone, and the radio controls which output is muted, at the touch of one button.

I mention this to show that the Nokia N97 has all the technology and flexibility to perform all these functions perfectly, co-operating fully with other devices.

Can you say the same for the devices fitted in your cars? How long ago were these devices fitted? How long ago did you buy these cars? When was the firmware last updated? What standards did the in-car devices conform to in the first place.

Just a thought.

_

Please use plain text.
Contributor

car Re: No Voice Guidance under Bluetooth

My car is 2009 Honda Accord with factory fitted BT HF. I don't think it's a problem of Honda. Nav4All works (or had worked) perfectly - voice was coming from phone speaker.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: car Re: No Voice Guidance under Bluetooth

[ Edited ]

_

So why not use Nav4All then? If it manages the Nokia hardware better than the Nokia software, and you're happy with it, why change?

Contact Nokia and ask for a new feature.

Personally, I like the way Nokia does it, with both sound outputs from the phone coming through the car's speakers. I wouldn't want 2 sound sources in the car at the same time. I don't have the luxury of a car with perfect sound insulation from road noise. If either the phone or the SatNav were coming through the phone, I wouldn't be able to hear it properly.

It seems to me that any in-car system which doesn't, by design, send the sound output through the car speakers is either antiquated, or is a poor spec.

But that's just me.

I wonder when a 2009 Honda Accord was assembled? And how long before that were the parts manufactured and shipped to wherever the car was built?

_

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Nav4All has 2 disadvantages:

1. Maps are/were available only online

2. Nokia bought Navteq and shut down Nav4All (http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/eng/index.php)

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

_

You have my sympathies. It's awful when something you have come to rely on is suddenly withdrawn.

Have you investigated the updating of the FW in the car's device? What do the car device support people say?

How do they defend not auto-switching between sound inputs, like my Sony does?

By the way, my Sony is several years old. This functionality is not exactly new. Also, it's one of the cheapest Sony units - it cost about £120 GBP about 3 years ago. I'm amazed that a device supplied with any newish car does not exceed this spec.

You guys seem to be asking Nokia to supply a feature to be compatible with a really quite old standard.

_

Please use plain text.