Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: No Voice Guidance under Bluetooth

Registered Member
xiongbo99

I have got voice guidence on my ford taurus 2009 SYNC. This is what I did.

I recently (Oct.22th) updated the ovi map and voice guidance files through Ovi suite.

After pairing my 5230 to SYNC, I chose "Bluetooth audio" through the SYNC commander. Then I got voice guidance on my car stereo.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

This morning I recevived a private message stating that Nokia has decided to delete some recent messages on this issue. These  were not offensive and only reported that some consumers were going to inform the press about the problem. (I call it freedom of speach)

This kind of censorship makes it even worse for Nokia, since it has never replied, neither on the forum, nor to my mails to their support site.

Enough said...!

Please use plain text.
Sage

Wow....

i did report about the connectivity with Nissan Connect, and thought this would be useful informations for others having such a car and a nokia.

That post was deleted also.

I hope, that this was done by accident, and not intentional...

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Nice to see I'm not the only one with this issue... Took me quite a while to figure out why my phone was being silent. I have an aftermarket Kenwood KCA-BT200 module, and it actually will play the voice navigation if it's set for bluetooth streaming. Problem is, I can't then listen to music, the radio, or anything else. While I like my turn-by-turn navigation (when it's not crashing) I don't like it enough to be my only entertainment. Adding an option to allow the selection of the built-in speakers for navigation voice output seems like a really simple concept.

All those who suggest we request this from Nokia as a feature: how do you go about doing that? Is there a phone number, email, or some other channel through which this can be accomplished?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

How to inform Nokia? Well, this website itself should be the primary way to get in touch with Nokia with troubleshooting issues, as I see other issues being approached and "solved" by Nokia. And it also seems Nokia has seen our many posts about the issue, since they have taken the time to delete some messages were me and others reported that we were going to inform the media about Nokia's unresponsiveness (nokia, will you also delete this now???).

I also wrote twice to Nokia's customer care via Nokia's website, but they never sent me a reply.....

I am getting completely dissatisfied at Nokia's total lack of customer consideration and care....

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I agree Slash.

This topic was started Jan 23 this year. I'm not a software engineer, but one would think a company with the resources they possess would have been able to solve the problem by now. Or at least have the courtesy to post they can’t fix the problem.

Also like you, I had my previous post removed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Slow_safe

I have the same problem with a 5800, latest softwares ( maps, operating platforms....) in a Ferrari.

Please use plain text.
Sage
larkim

Surely all of this is a problem with the headunit rather than the phones?

If a phone is paired to the headunit, it is being told to route audio through the bluetooth A2DP and phone protocols of bluetooth.  The fact that the headunit can't play both bluetooth and radio / CD / aux in at the same time isn't really a surprise, but I suppose would be nice.

The phone is doing exactly what it has been told to do - play audio through the headunit.  

If you want audio guidance, turn off bluetooth?

I agree its a limitation of the set up, but its not exactly difficult to live with is it?

Matt

Please use plain text.

We've been through this a few times now...

1. It's illegal in most countries to answer phonecalls in the car without an active handsfree connection. Since phonecalls are still the primary objective of having a phone, closing the bluetooth connection would mean either answering phonecalls illegaly or not being able to use the "phone-function" at all. None of which should be deemed acceptable "solutions".
  2. The question of wether the head unit or the phone is at fault has no practical relevance as long as Nokia is supplying telephones to people who have actually bought new cars with original Bluetooth handsfree installations. Fact remains that the vast majority of new cars, rolling of the assembly line today WITH original integrated bluetooth kits do NOT support A2DP. In a real market with real consumers, it's NOKIAs job to ensure the compatibility.

...Please see THIS previous post for the longer version of this point.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Sportswagoneer: No, what I want is to be able to tell the phone whether I want NAVIGATION audio streamed over bluetooth or not, even if the phone is paired for other purposes. Shouldn't be that hard. In my case, the head unit sees it as an audio stream, and has no clue when it's active and when not, so unlike phone calls, with navigation it can't pre-empt other sources when the phone decides to talk.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Today I heard it for the first time, but only while I was on a call via BT, very annoying.

Still freaks me out that my 6110 works like a charm and my 6710 with OVI has this glitch.

Note for all the Nokia software people - your designs and programs influence peoples driving habits and have the ability to be dangerous. The other day I was using OVI maps and as per the norm had to have the radio on so that I could receive phone calls via BT. As always I had to look at the phones screen for directions as the voice guidance does not work with BT on. While concentrating on the screen, I nearly took another car off the road.

As for deleting posts that mention going to the media, how would this news paper headline look?

"Driver kills 6 year old while using Nokia GPS"

Think about it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

very well put, Brains!

you've probably sumed up months and months of customers' complaints in a very effective manner.

So many posts gone simply unnoticed by Nokia (or... simply disregarded)... Posts being removed by Nokia for fear of what, being contacted by the media????

We are all concerned about safe driving in modern cars that all feature worldwide known and shared BT systems, that unfortunately do not seem to communicate well with Nokia's Navigation (or, is it the the way round?: Nokia's navigation not fully communicating with all, or most modern in-car BT...!).

We are all concerned that using Nokia's Navigation in a car may turn to be very distracting, dangerous.... or very unconvenient....

And, what do we get from Nokia? Silence!!! And removal of posts were some thought it could be interesting to hear what some automotive media think about this problem... This is all we got.....

Shame on you Nokia, I say!

Instead of caring about your customers' suggestions and concerns, instead of being thankful for us pointing out what may become a critical safety issue... all Nokia has done is being silent and applying censorship.

I, we, have been waiting for so many months to hear a reply, a solution from Nokia... Always faithful in the big cell phone company to rapidly solve such an apparently simple issue....

Now, wy faith has totally gone down the drain.....

I believe it is time Nokia seriously approaches the issue. Nokia has lured us to purchase its product by offering free navigation, and navigation is moslty used in a car... and if it does not work properly while ensuring the highest levels of safe/legal driving, then I'd say there is a big problem in front of you, Nokia, and you are probably turning a blind eye to all this...

Time to act. You, Nokia, do your part and we, the consumers, will do ours, using all the ways we are empowered to use to protect us and the other people we encounter while driving.

Do not delete our posts, make a better use of them.....

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Same problem here with N97mini and Toyota Prius.

Nokia is updating OviMaps to the version 3.06 and is now distributed beta by Nokia Beta Labs (www.betalabs.nokia.com).

It was asked to solve the issue there, while there's a beta testing, but no aswer fron Nokia.

At this point I think the issue is so deep in the software that there's no solution to take but to rewrite the entire Symbian from scratches.

Shame on Nokia for not showing here to say it.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
EnioReH01

Hi all!

Please bear in mind, the boards here are for user-to-user support only.
If you want to provide any feedback directly to Nokia,  we suggest that you use the 'Contact us' link at the top of the page or contact your local Nokia Care line.

The moderation team are not technicians involved in product development, so we cannot offer direct responses either. Feedback gained from the boards does get passed to the relevant departments, however, so it is not true that the users requests are simply ignored.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
sinihammas

@ EnioReH01

Good to have a reply at last!: smileyhappy:

That is much, much better than total silence.

Though .. we would like to know .. from relevant departments .. when the problem will about to be fixed?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Great! Then can we expect some feed back?

If the requests are forwarded to the relevant departments I think they should make the effort to post here and make everyone aware of what is going on.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kriegaex

Well, then Nokia's response time is not understandable at all, because this is notsome small usability glitch, but a major show-stopper for using their navigation solution at all because using their combines hard- & software package the in only way possible is ILLEGAL!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

I have already written to the "contact us", twice, and very long ago.... So far no reply, not even to simply aknowledge they received my feedback....

Now, since Nokia's moderators are noticing this very long string of complaints, and they are seeing it, since some messages have been deleted by some moderators and - at last! - one has replied (how many months did it take? 9 or 10...? No comment).... anyway, if moderators are seeing our concerns, this should be for them a big, huge, red telltale light about a potentially disastrous issue for Nokia, not just a small glitch.

We are talking about safe driving, legal driving and the impossibility to drive safely and legally while using Nokia's navigation an a BT factory-equipped car.....

Moderators who see this and realize its importance, should not simply pass it on to the relevant department, but run, bring it up to the highest management levels, because consumers are tired, concerned and mad. Tired because it's been months without Nokia paying attention to our feedback. Concerned because we are getting closer and closer to accidents caused by  this very issue. Mad because most were lured to Nokia by free navigation only to discover that in factory equipped BT cars it cannot be used safely or legally....

Does Nokia really live on another planet or will it finally understand the weight and importance of this issue and intervene with solutions and/or warnings informing customers about its systems' limitations BEFORE its products are purchased and (dangerously or illegaly) used....?

Please use plain text.
Sage
naf1970

I agree completly with  slash67.

Nokia should make something about this issue at least an official statment about this subject.

I work in Automotive Industry and this type of concerns (envolving costumers safety and legaly) are treated with high level of priority.

Also, IMHO, I think Moderators on this forum should help forwarding inside Nokia organization this kind of concerns from customers.

Nokia N8 / N9 / Lumia 920 White
Please use plain text.
Sage

Now let's see, just for kicks I tried OVI-maps in our loaner 2010 Peugeott 207 with Bluetooth while our own car was in the shop (Our own 207 has built in Navigation). So i took some of the phones deployed here at our data centre on a little road test and here are the results:

FruitPhone 3GS w/Tomtom: Works Great, Radio muted during Navi Directions

FruitPhone 4 w/Tomtom: Works Great, Radio muted during Navi Directions

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10(Android): Works Great, Radio muted during Navi Directions

Sony Ericsson Vivaz (Symbian): Works Great, Radio muted during Navi Directions

Garmin Asus NüviPhone Works Great, Radio muted during Navi Directions

HTC Touch HD2  w/Tomtom: Works Great, Radio muted during Navi Directions

Nokia 5800 XM (OVI Maps 3.04) NO GO, NO instructions over BT

Nokia N97 (OVI Maps 3.04) NO GO, NO instructions over BT

Interesting that six other phones work fine, just the Nokias don't. Also interesting that the SE Vivaz is Symbian based as well, although not on exactly the same platform as the Nokias and it works well too.

Ever seen a black lemon? They turn black when they rot. My N97 is black. 'nuff said
Please use plain text.