Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5230 Safety Cameras ?

Registered Member
STEVIEG

Nokia 5230 Safety Cameras ?

Is there anyone out there that has a Nokia 5230 and is able to be alerted to Safety cameras in offline mode ? I purchased this phone in Feb and have upgraded to 3.03, have deleted Cities folder and QF folder and reloaded both 3.03 software and maps so many times I've lost count - but still get no Safety Spot notification ( Safety Spots is 'on' in navigation settings ). Interestingly there is a folder called 'Safety Spots' under the Cities Folder - diskcashe file, but when you access it there is no data in the file .

I have no idea if the camera warnings appear in online mode as this never seems to work as I always get the message ' something went wrong and the connection failed - please try again' - I have no idea how to fix this, the Internet settings for O2 are correct.

In any case I have no intention of using maps online. My assumption is that the Safety Camera info is recd from the downloaded maps and therefore should work in offline mode.

Would be grateful for any help, Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BXA12

You need the file Europe .CDT in the safety spots folder.

I got the link from one of the forums after a few weeks of searching this topic. This is the file you need to download 1.0.0.21.europe.rar- Google it.

BXA12

Please use plain text.
Sage
blueheartz

Yeah, you should have two files in safetyspots folder viz. 1.0.0.8.australia.cdt and 1.0.0.20.europe.cdt.
If you didn't get it then PM me, because for only 860kb you don't wanna download the whole lot of maps data :smileywink:
Cheers.

Please thank me by giving 'KUDOS' star. It will help me to serve you better.
Currently using N82 and 5230. Next would be N?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
STEVIEG

Thanks for your help - I could'nt find the file 1.0.0.20.europe.cdt on the net, would you be able to send me the link plse ?

Do you know if I will I need to reinstall this file each time I update the maps ?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Sage
blueheartz

Sorry i couldn't send you the link because i too didn't get the file anywhere on net. But you can copy those files from your friend's mobile if anyone has ovi maps 3.03.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I do have the V3.03, but there is no data in the Safety spots folder.... (even after today's maps' update) and can't seem to find any on the net..... Googled it, but results are not helping..... Any viable solution?

Please use plain text.
Sage
blueheartz

Okay then, install latest ovi suite and then download maps data of your region. Your problem should solve. Download it here

Please use plain text.
huve

[ Edited ]

Reinstalling ovimaps 3.03 and local maps with ovisuite does not help me.

I tried with Nokia map loader, but it does not help neither.

I my case I think I should blame Nokia map loader, because it wants to delete

old map data before loading new data. Some how it does not install the safety spot data,

neither does ovi suite.

I thought i made a backup copy of all data in the microsd card with ovi suite, but it can't

return it.

I don't like these Nokia application that are so "user friendly" that you don't know what they are doing.

These discussion groups are weird support, no replies from Nokia only from users.

Where can I get a full installation Nokia maps 3.03 for phones (5230) sold at Finland. I bought it last friday and "updated" it today with Nokia software and instructions and lost features.

Or could some one post the europe.cdt file. 

Why there is two applications to update the maps? Why Ovi suite does not the version number of maps in the phone and for download?

Please use plain text.
huve

I got it working ! There is a new updated safety camera file version 27 !!

It's a strange story.

I was installing the maps several times and reconnected the USB-cable and forgot the

select in the phone the USB PC suite option. Tried to load maps with Ovi Suite and got an error message that the softeare or maps are not installed and a link for troubleshooting (unfortunately I had installed Ovi Suite in finnish, it's a bit difficult to translate).

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Nokia/Nokia%20Ovi%20Suite/Help/Nokia_Ovi_Suite.htm#Maps\Troubleshooting.h...

So the help file is where you installed Ovi Suite.

1. close ovi suite and reconnect using usb pc mode

2. find from the memory card the cities directory and qf file and delete them

3. disconnect the phone and start the maps application. Deleted objects will be recreated.

4. Close maps application and connect the phone in usb pc suite.

5. if you get error messages, use the ovi suite maps section to download maps and voice guidence. OR if the software suggest update, update (in short, long explanation).

So I did as instructed and went for a test drive. Everything work fine except the safety cameras.  Allthough the cities directory and qf file were deleted, all maps settings were as before deleting. I had the safety warnigns on and drived to a safety camera to see, if it works using the navigation with a target. So it did not work, stopped navigation, turned safety warnigns off, a new target with navigation. Stopped navigation and closed the maps application. Started maps and navigation and turned safety warnings on. **bleep**, the application asked for a internet connection to enable safetyspot warnings, I allowed it and it downloaded and installed the data. I could right away see camera symbol in the map, drived towards the camera and got voice and map warnings. I drived on and it did not warn for the camera in the wrong driving direction as it did before. Then checked the safetyspot directory and there was a file 1.0.0.27.europe.cdt size 849 kB. So the old file gave warnings for every camera, but the new knows driving direction. I don't know the version of the old file, because I don't have a backup copy (I bought the phone in may, friday 14th, other files in memory are from march). The checked the download data log (or is it counter as in finnish?) 554kB downloaded and 76 kB uploaded if someone wants to count how much it costs.

As a conclusion, the ovi suite maps updater does not download the safety camera data.

It seems that the data is updated, but how to get the updated file in the future?

Do I have to delete the directory and qf file and reinstall everything to get updated safety camera information? Where do they tell about the updates?

An other cause for the safety camera driving direction update could be ovimaps 3.0.4 beta I am using now. It would be nice to know, if it is the data file or application enabling this feature. In the 3.0.4 beta navigation screen the names of crossing roads are readable (better zooming?), it finds the satellites faster without A-GPS, but the number of satellite connections icons in the down right corner are missing.

The new safetyspot file as an attachment. Rename it deleting the .txt from the end, because this forum allows only bitmap and txt attachments. Then copy it to your phone's cities/safetyspots directory (ofcourse backup and the delete the old one).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bobmax1066

Is there one for New Zealand I am on maps 3.04 I have updated the maps they way you did and turned off the safety spot Warner then turned it on I had the connection online network destination was WAP services, have I missed something

Cheers

Bob

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bobmax1066

forgot to mention I have a 5800
Please use plain text.