Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800 Car Navigation

gorinedvault

Thanks again TripleBee. All sorted.
Please use plain text.
Drifter007

Hi guys,

since a few days I had the same issue with my Nokia 5800 expressmusic. Whenever I wanted to start a navigation route, I received the following message: 'Car navigation cannot start at this location' Never had problems with navigation on my phone in the past. I have always kept my phone and maps up-to-date with Nokia Suite (Now at version 3.6.36). I solved the problem with selecting 'Assisted GPS' and 'Integrated GPS' and deselecting the other methods of positioning.

Nokia 5800 XPressMusic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TripleBee

OK,

but assisted GPS will cost you for using your provider network.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
panorton

I have tried Triplebee's workaround several times now but when i go to maps my possition is given in Lat Long but there is no map shown. I go to updates and it says my map is already downloaded. I delete it and reinstall it but then I get "Car navigation cannot start from this location". My download bill will easilly be the price of a new Garmin.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TripleBee

First I had the same issue, but when you copy other maps than you already downloaded from the 'faulty' ones, it will not work.

First you download the faulty country, then you delete 0 to f, then you copy the country 0 to f to your phone, then it works.

If you want to have multiple countries, you really have to put each file from each country in the right map 0 to f, and overwrite the larger file if there is a smaller already copied to a map. This is the hardest (longest) part.

It may not be all that clear, because you have to know what you're doing.

It worked for me, and it worked for many others, so I'm sure it will work for you, but maybe you're doing a little thing wrong?

Let's say you want Belgium and France. You start with map 0/0/***.cdt from Belgium, then you put 0/0/*****.cdt from France in the same map, if the size is the same, let it be. If the size is different, keep the largest. Then you move to 0/1/***.cdt, then 0/2/****.cdt until f/f/***.cdt. I did it like this because I have 8 countries. Then delete 0 to f from your phone, and copy 0 to f that you put a couple of minutes in to your phone and it will work.

I hope this is clearer for you? Otherwise, if anyone can explain it better, they may give it a try.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
momcilo

Hi,

I have avoided posting the link to the correct instructions for 00.02.45.103 version, since there is already

00.02.46.103 that is working fine.

Unpacking to the SD card works fine. I have downloaded the complete Europe maps and appropriate index files. If you still have not resolved your issue let me know, and I will send you the precise links. Mind that there may be someone who has already done this within this very topic.(I am out of time, so I could not read it whole).

Regards,

Moma

P.S. Love your Goethe quote, but I would suggest you to download the maps and indeces and then burn them to the DVD as a countermeasure when they remove the support for Symbian (e.g. delete maps that work!)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
XM5800MY

Need to thanks to Triple Bee for the lengthy explanation. Now i can use back my navigation without switch on A-GPS.

Please use plain text.
johnkr

I have exactly the same problem with nokia 5230 and reinstalling the maps and re install the software did not solve tehe problem.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

johnkr wrote:
I have exactly the same problem with nokia 5230 and reinstalling the maps and re install the software did not solve tehe problem.

Re-installing the SAME (latest update) version that has the problem will not solve the issue. Read the posts above and follow the procedure for the work around till the Maps are fixed by Nokia ..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
panorton

I'm in the Rep. of ireland so I download the 10320 zip files from here. http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/maploaderzip-00.02.46.103/103211.zip . I save them to desktop and extract them. I have tried deleting the files in /mass memory/cities/diskcache. 0-f and overwriting them with the new files and also merging the two sets of files but the result is the same "car navigation cannot start from this location".

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@panorton

Did you delete E:\cities + .qf file, re-start Nokia Maps application to re-create necessary folder structure and drag desired data onto 0 - 9 and a - f folders devoid of data?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TripleBee

New maps available???!!! 

Anyone tried them?

But first copy the complete working maps you need from your phone, just in case.

Thanks for the update

Please use plain text.
Contributor
esax06

anyone tried? i lost one week work to update last time. radars are not correct. it shows radars what are normally to control traffic only.2.07......???? uuh

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

@ TripleBee & esax06 - These are no New Maps. If you have already updated to the latest version (which do not work in Offline mode)..this will Downgrade to the earlier working version .. Refer THIS

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TripleBee

Nokia downgrades the maps back to 2.46. So this means that they know there's a problem. Now we just need the updated maps that work offline.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

TripleBee wrote:

Now we just need the updated maps that work offline.

Work is in hand and we have been assured that message will be posted upon forum when issue is resolved and 00.02.47.103 data is back on stream for devices running Nokia Maps v3.06!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
panorton

Navigation back workin gwith latest maps 3.06

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hicham1st

Hi guys,

is the problem of this ''car navigation cannot start at this location'' really really solved? I would like to know before I start downloading maps via wifi from the nokia server.

Many thanks in advance.

''What is my life if I am no longer useful to others.'' Johann W. von Goethe
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Hicham1st wrote:

is the problem of this ''car navigation cannot start at this location'' really really solved? I would like to know before I start downloading maps via wifi from the nokia server.

Provided that you follow instructions to delete Either E:\cities or F:\cities as appropriate + ,qf file then re-start Nokia Maps to re-define necessary folder structure and are happy to return to map 00.02.46.103 data. Why not just download the minimum state/region/country to re-assure yourself before wasting further bandwidth?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hicham1st

aspergerguy wrote:

Hicham1st wrote:

Provided that you follow instructions to delete Either E:\cities or F:\cities as appropriate + ,qf file then re-start Nokia Maps to re-define necessary folder structure and are happy to return to map 00.02.46.103 data. Why not just download the minimum state/region/country to re-assure yourself before wasting further bandwidth?

This is what I have already done and it is working, but what I meant with my question is: Have the Nokia people already fixed the problem with the version of 00.02.47.103 or not yet?

''What is my life if I am no longer useful to others.'' Johann W. von Goethe
Please use plain text.