Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800 GPS problem with Ovi map.

Nokia 5800 GPS problem with Ovi map.

Hi guys, I have two maps on my 5800 XM, one is Ovi map and the other is Google map, after updating the Ovi map to 3.3, the GPS doesn't work anymore. my firmware is v31, because v40 is not yet available on mine. the GPS is working fine on the Google map, but when i tried it on the Ovi map, it takes forever to wait for GPS, i don't know what can i do since i can't even download the Ovi map on my phone again (the Ovi store doesn't show the download bottom on mine) to reinstall the map. please help, i want to enjoy the GPS system..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

First off, Google Maps does not need to use the GPS. It can work perfectly on a phone that does not have a GPS chip.

Second, are you in offline mode w/ A-GPS turned off? There have been reports that in offline mode and w/o A-GPS it can take like 30minutes to take a satellite fix.

To reinstall maps, go to map.ovi.com, follow the links to download the sis file for maps and manually reinstall. If you want Ovi Store to show download button, you need to uninstall the maps first. 

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.

it is online, i am doing this at home. i mention google map because i can receive GPS right away without any problem, but the Ovi map just always tell me to waiting for GPS. i don't know if there is a setup to turn the A-GPS off, but as long as it looks for the GPS on the Ovi map, i think i haven't. thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

As I already said, Google Maps does not need to use GPS chip. To turn on A-GPS go to Menu>Applications>Location>Positioning>Positioning Methods. Check if you have A-GPS turned on.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.

thanks, all of them are on, and i tried to reinstall the Ovi map, but no luck, all remain the same.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Wait I just remembered. You're at home? Are you indoors? good luck getting a fix if you are. You could take the entire day and it wont get a fix if you're indoors. Lets face it, the receiver on the 5800 isnt exactly topnotch quality at par with dedicated SatNav systems.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
joegadney

I have a similar problem as that other fella, but my GPS just isn't working at all. It worked fine before I updated the phone software recently, including with Google maps which does use the GPS antenna even if you don't think it needs to, (if you don't enable GPS it tells you your nearly a mile away from where you are, not good!). Plus, before, I could just get a signal indoors if I was next to a window or something.

I have software version, V 31.0.101.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
owensy

i have the same problem as mentioned above! have the latest firmware and ovi maps and can browse the maps all good but my position wont up date no matter where i am!  A-GPS is on im connected to internet and like other google maps finds my location no problem only seems to be ovi maps that doesn find my location

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tone1212

I had exactley the same problem, after updating the firmware and ovi maps. My problem was that my access point had been removed after the update, so the GPS kept on saying waiting...pretty annoying. It might not be the same problem as yours but if you go to Menu>Applications>Location>Positioning>Positioning Server>Access point and if blank, select the network provider your with...hopefully your Ovi maps will start working too
Please use plain text.
anvi

I had the same problem after updating the firmware, after the updation of maps, i installed the map for my country. But same issue , after changing the settings in Location>Positioning>Positioning Server>Access point ny GPS statrs working. Thanks tone1212
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rritvik

i have a big problem with ovi maps. When i started maps,,connection failed problem occurs ,pl help me,my gprs connection is active.
Please use plain text.