Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Drive+ Beta for Lumia 920 - WP8

Advisor
tkchan007
Accepted Solution

Nokia Drive+ Beta for Lumia 920 - WP8

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the use of Nokia Drive (sorry, I came back to WP after several years on Android so too used to using Google Maps).

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to route around what the 'default' route comes up with?  For example, I do not want to drive through NYC and would rather drive around it using specific highways that I'm used to using.  I know it's further, but it avoid GW Bridge which can be several hours in traffic if not timed properly.

2. Is there any website where I can plan/setup the various trips/routes and then just have it sync back to the phone (this is typically what I do with all my Google's map usage).

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Nokia Drive+ Beta for Lumia 920 - WP8

You can plan your routes and save favourites using the Here.net website. Just login with the same nokia account you specify for your phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@tkchan007

Unfortunately even with release of "Here" there is not the facility to plan routes at maps.nokia.com which applied to Symbian OS which could then by synchronised with device.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tkchan007

[ Edited ]

@cjlim - Yeah that's as close to what Google Map has to offer and there are some things that I like about here.net.  However, after I saved my route (as a collection), there doesn't appeared to be anyway to get that onto the phone or am I missing something here?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tkchan007

Looks like I can sync between my phone (Lumia 920) and Here.net on single address - on Phone -> Nokia Map -> My Place and on Here.net under Collections.  However, the specifically routed direction that is stored in a Collections on Here.net somehow cannot get it down to the phone.

Shouldn't be rocket science and should be a pretty straight forward sync'ing one would think.  I'll continue to see if I can make some headway.  But this seems to be the last major hurtle for me right now when comparing to my Android's experiences so far.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I am also currently using 2 androids,p as well as this lumia 920 and an N9. Google maps is fine as long as you have a data connection with unlimited data whereas Nokia Maps works offline which is great when roaming.  The routes created on Here don't currently sync to the Lumias but they do with the other Nokia phones but at the same time Maps for Lumia is still only Beta so I hope this will work with the final release. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tkchan007

Thanks for confirming what I'm seeing.

I've been playing with Google Map's offline navigation so far the result has been mixed (doing it on my Nexus 7).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

I "try" google maps offline on my Galaxy S 2 and Galaxy Nexus regularly when i am abroad, just as a backup to my N9 which I use as my main navigation device. First problem with google maps is the map data. You can only download a few tiles. The search function and routing dont work very well offline either. Of course there are better paid options but Nokia Maps isn't all that bad for a free solution. The avtual Nokia Maps package is better then the current experience with Maps on the Lumia devices. This is because WP is a new OS for Nokia and they had to start Maps from scratch for this OS and they are still.playing catchup. I was fortunate enough to have a chat with a member of the Lumia Maps team who promised me that the intention is for users to have the same nav experience as other Nokia devices. With the latest beta iteration, they are almost there. Hope they will be there with the final release. 

Please use plain text.
Elrinth

How do I enter latitude / longitude coordinates into this?

I've got these coordinates I wanna enter:

Lat: N 65 15 6,85 Long: E 15 33 53,08

Please use plain text.