Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Drive Data Usage

Shkipper

Any date on when Nokia is planning to impelement the Drive Offline mode?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hey, thats good news! So come on Nokia, make the update and let Users choose, if they want the up to date internet Routing option, or the complete Offline Navigatino as advertised for!

Colin wrote:

Hi All,

I don't believe the Lumia does need connection to Data or WiFi to calculate the route!

On my recent return to the UK from eastern Germany I connected via WiFi before leaving, got the route sorted then turned WiFi and Data OFF, leaving Location ON.

I then drove back to the UK following the route suggested by the Lumia.

Twice I knew of a short cut and took it and once I had to leave the autobahn because of roadworks.

In each case the Lumia recalculated the route WITHOUT any connection to WiFi or Data.

So the plot thickens!

Can't wait for Nokia to make Drive as useful and easy to use as the system I used on my X6.

Colin 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kiezak

Exactly the same question,  I read on several sites on the internet,    this 'offline package' would be available end Dec 2011.  We are now Feb 2012 and my GPS on my lumia is still not working without data connection.

Any idea when this update will be made available?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ruby54

I have been asking a lot of questions about Drive and navigation.

I have the new 800, had it a week, and I have been in contact with Nokia twice asking about Drive, because last year I traveled all over France with my old nokia 5230 and it guided me via GPS with no charge at all, and when I read about a new nokia 800, I visited many shops and looked at the Nokia website. All said/say that turn by turn navigation is free (including the instruction book packed with the phone). Navigation is the main thing I use my phone for ( I work from home and have free BT calls on my home phone).

However I have been informed by Nokia that a data connection is required to use Drive, so how is that free ? If I travel from my home in the UK I will have to pay £10 to use Drive in the EU, heaven knows what it would cost in the rest of the world, I have yet to find out.

I am considering taking it up with Trading standards, as the function has been misrepresented, anyone interested in joining me ?

I will have to take care of my old 5230 for taking on my travels !

I am very disappointed in Nokia for not making it clear that Drive is a pay-for facility. They have apologised to me for the inconvenience and I added that it is a very expensive inconvenience ! I have yet to hear what they intend to do about it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

ruby54 wrote:

I have been asking a lot of questions about Drive and navigation.

I have the new 800, had it a week, and I have been in contact with Nokia twice asking about Drive, because last year I traveled all over France with my old nokia 5230 and it guided me via GPS with no charge at all, and when I read about a new nokia 800, I visited many shops and looked at the Nokia website. All said/say that turn by turn navigation is free (including the instruction book packed with the phone). Navigation is the main thing I use my phone for ( I work from home and have free BT calls on my home phone).

However I have been informed by Nokia that a data connection is required to use Drive, so how is that free ? If I travel from my home in the UK I will have to pay £10 to use Drive in the EU, heaven knows what it would cost in the rest of the world, I have yet to find out.

I am considering taking it up with Trading standards, as the function has been misrepresented, anyone interested in joining me ?

I will have to take care of my old 5230 for taking on my travels !

I am very disappointed in Nokia for not making it clear that Drive is a pay-for facility. They have apologised to me for the inconvenience and I added that it is a very expensive inconvenience ! I have yet to hear what they intend to do about it.

I've kept my previous 5230, and I keep the maps upgraded on it.

It works quite happily in offline mode - so you don't get traffic updates, updated safety camera info (although you can preload the file from your online handset), and offline search is a bit limited - but all the same, it works quite happily as a sat nav, and with no sim in, won't cost anything for data charges.

Please use plain text.
Tilpa

@Shkipper(31-Jan-2012 11:50 AM)
>Any date on when Nokia is planning to impelement the Drive Offline mode?

@Kiezak (07-Feb-2012 04:12 PM)
>Any idea when this update will be made available?

There's something extra-official tweeted by Sander Teunissen ‏(Nokia Sales Manager @ Nokia Netherlands), see it at
https://twitter.com/#!/teunii/status/179552823283953665

Sander Teunissen also tweeted this link
http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/20/nokia-drive-maps-transport-windows-phone-update-lumia

The (current) user guide can be downloaded at
http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/nam/phones/guides/Nokia_Drive_2.0_UG_en_US.pdf
Inside this guide,
there's a brief section saying that you can navigate offline.

But, still need to test before assume that it works...

Please use plain text.