Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Maps Crashes on N8 when using Search

Contributor
0micron

Nokia Maps Crashes on N8 when using Search

Hello

I was a happy user of Nokia Maps for a couple of years until now.

After the latest update of my maps in late December my search functionality has started to cause the application to crash. The application can load without any issues, manages to locate my location and tracks me when I move about. However when I click on the search button it crashes and the phone goes back to my desktop. I can then reopen the application without any issues but trying to search results in another crash. The funny thing is that the navigation functionality still works - if I can find the street I'm looking for I can tell the application to get me there, however if I search for the street I'm after it crashes.

After trying to play around with the settings I recently noticed that I get the same problem (application crash) when I try to set my 'home location' from Maps->Settings->Drive->Home Location then click on 'Not defined' and select 'Search' from the list of options.

I tried deleting the folder E:\cities as well as the file 'qf' which prompted Maps to redownload my maps (which I did through the Ovi suite) however searching still causes my Maps to crash. I tried both online and offline modes, as well as using 'Integrated Only' under the positioning settings to no avail.

I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with it, but at around the same time I changed my network operator - no change in terms of data plans etc though.

I'm using Nokia N8, Maps v 3.09, Maps version 0.2.47.103

This is really annoying as it is one of the main reasons I'm still using this phone despite being on Symbian.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Omicron

Not quite clear whether or not you have Maps Suite 2.0 installed upon your N8:http://store.ovi.com/content/265481

Presumably your new network access point is either Priority 1 or 2 in Menu > settings > Connectivity > Settings > Network destinations > Internet?

Irrespective of whether Nokia Maps is "Online" or "Offline" it shouldn't crash but perhaps produce 'No results found" if "Offline".

As a last resort you could need to reset device to "factory settings" after backing up essential data via Nokia Suite and let it set up Nokia Maps from scratch and Assisted GPS positioning method pick it's own access point to resolve this situation.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
0micron

@aspergerguy

Thanks for the suggestions. I have Nokia Suite 2.0. Priority for the network access point was 3 as I have 2 wireless connections as a higher priority. Nevertheless I still tried moving the 3G access point to priority 2 as you suggested, but it didn't change anything.

The Maps application crashes immediately upon hitting the search button, as opposed to having to wait a few seconds to connect to the internet, then fail and then crash. I've also used the application successfully in offline mode, including searching for addresses, while abroad on holiday with data turned off. So I don't think it's something to do with it being unable to connect to my data provider.

I haven't given up yet but If nothing else works I guess I will have to go back to factory settings.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@0micron

Personally I tend to keep one WLAN = Priority 1 and network as Priority 2, although most applications try to utilise whatever is at Priority 1 in Internet destinations and then work down the list so actual number is not critical.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
seputus

I have the exact same problem ........... I have also tried renaming the folders, redownloading maps, and have tried connecting via Nokia Suite and reinstalling the phone software all to no avail.

Everything works fine except whenever I hit 'search' - crash! Online or offline ..

Can anyone please suggest something besides a complete wipe of the phone? There must be some setting somewhere that has settings that I could clear .. e.g. the 'favorites' (landmarks) are always still there no matter what I do .. i'd like to clear ALL settings .. or find the Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 SIS file to reinstall ........

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dmllondon

Yeah, is there any known fix for this? I have the same issue on an N8-00. Had been using maps successfully for 2 years, and then all of a sudden this started happening. Have downloaded the very latest versions of Belle and Maps, but not difference. Has anyone got any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Certainly no issues using Nokia Maps v3.09_12wk09_b05 upon 700 Belle FP2 carrying out "Offline" Search:

Screen Shot 2013 07 26 at 13 26 17

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

I'm Noia 808 owner and also experience search issue with some variations.

Fortunately, first "search" invocation (say, when tapping "magnifier" directly from the map mode) never cause application crash, but when in route planning mode using several "searches" in a sequence (Add new route point->From search) second "search" invocation often cause Maps to crash.

Here "often" does not mean "always" because this problem appears after the smartphone has been working for a some time after switching on or rebooting. Hence to fix this problem for a time (actual time of relief is unpredictable, from an hour or so to several days) phone restart is needed.

Once again fortunately, in my case there's another workaround: not to use "search" (Add new route point->From search) directly, but use "Add new route point->Favourites->tap on magnifier" sequence that invokes the same search menu and never crashes Maps.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dmllondon

Belle version:  111.040.1511.377.01 (2012-07-28)

Maps version:  v3.09 12wk09 b05

Certainly does crash for me.  Everytime you try to search.   Irrespective of doing an online or offline search, connected to wifi or not,  logged in to Noklia Account or not.   There is no workaround option via other menu options or apps that works for me. I have tried every permutation and reinstalled the latest software many times. 

It is impossible to invoke a maps search without it crashing.

Interestingly, if I have a wifi connection at the point of doing a search, as well as killing the Maps app, it also kills the wifi connection.

To me it is clearly a software bug.   Nokia have suggested I send in the phone for repair, but I don't see what that can do as the phone is otherwise functioning perfectly and I fail to see it can be a hardware issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dmllondon

I resolved by doing a factory reset with delete data option.    Doing a restore app settings from a prior Nokia suite backup caused the problem to come back,  so it was a factory reset and manually add back all the installed apps.  A lot of pfaff, but it works.

Note that I did a sync of the map locations after from the maps / favories  and so I didn't lose all my places (luckily I must have done a sync beforehand)

Please use plain text.