Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Maps, Nokia Map Loader and the Philippines' ...

Advisor

Re: Nokia Maps, Nokia Map Loader and the Philippines' Map

I just downloaded the Philippines maps again using Nokia Map Loader and they look just the same as they were before.

I guess that was predictable because the size of the download was only 2.6MB. Maps for similar sized countries that are more detailed are several tens of MB in size.

Chris
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Just downloaded the latest Nokia map for the Philippines, Ormoc City where I spend a lot of time only shows one road ! Not much use I think.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi there, new here but I am also looking for SatNav maps for the Philippines. I presume this We Travel have gone out of biusiness ? All their download links produce corrupt files and emails to their support address are getting bounced ... :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Nokia's maps for the Philippines haven't improved at all and are still of little use, even within Manila.

Google Maps are now very detailed and have good coverage of most of the country. The level of street detail is extremely good in some places. I use these all the time now and have almost completely given up on Nokia Maps. Unfortunately Google Maps still cannot be used for turn-by-turn street navigation purposes.

If you want to try this go to www.google.com/gmm

Chris

Please use plain text.

Hi, while I realise I'm a little late in the discussion, there is a solution.

http://roadguide.ph

They have a very (very) detailed routable map covering Manila, many other parts of the country are also mapped out in great detail. There is a free version as well as an even more comprehensive map for contributors.

I started using this on my N95 a few years back.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for the link to RoadGuide Philippines. That looks like an interesting project and I may try to get involved in that.

Since I wrote my last response here, Nokia Maps have dramatically improved the detail on their Philippines maps. I've only looked an their coverage of Manila so far, but the quality of the maps there now goes right down to the smallest streets, so it's actually of practical use now for finding your way around. I'm not sure whether the turn-by-turn navigation function works yet.

Chris

Please use plain text.

Since I wrote my last response here, Nokia Maps have dramatically improved the detail on their Philippines maps. I've only looked an their coverage of Manila so far, but the quality of the maps there now goes right down to the smallest streets, so it's actually of practical use now for finding your way around. I'm not sure whether the turn-by-turn navigation function works yet.

How did you get the improved detail?  I'm using Nokia Maps v2.0wk39b04 on an e63, and just downloaded new maps today from Nokia Map Loader.  In Pasay City (for example) I only see a few major highways in map-only mode.  I can see secondary streets in hybrid mode, but even streets like Taft Ave have no routes or labels indicated.

By contrast, US cities show neighborhood-level streets (routes and labels) in both modes, and google maps gives good (but not perfect) detail even in secondary cities like Dumaguete.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@savethekudzu - My Philippine map is like 13mb in size, and right down to almost the smallest streets in Los Baños, what more in Metro Manila? I also have the free voice Guided SatNav (using 5800 on v40). However you cannot avail of this map since you are only on Ovi Maps 2.0. The map updates come with the upgraded Ovi Maps. Your device supports Ovi Maps 3.0 so I am surprised that you havent upgraded yet.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I've upgraded my phone to OVI Maps 3.0 and now had a chance to try the turn-by-turn navigation feature. Unfortunately, the results are not good. I planned a simple journey from the Makati CBD to the area around Luneta Park on the OVI web site and synced it with my phone. On the computer, the map it produced looked like it wanted to take me straight down Buendia and along Roxas Boulevard, which looked like a sensible route to take. The problems came when I tried to use it with the phone in the car. Going down Buendia, it tried to get me to turn left at a no-left-turn intersection. When I ignored it and continued straight on it recalculated the route and again tried to have me take another no-left-turn at the next intersection.

I'll give it another try with a different route, but I've already lost a lot of confidence it the reliability of OVI Maps.

Chris

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Ovi Maps Philippines is still incomplete, it still does not have data for one way streets and such so...^_^...you could either wait for the update later this year or buy the 20k dedicated SatNav system.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for that.

Its sounds kind of irresponsible of Nokia to release a navigation system that doesn't even recognize one-way streets. An omission like that makes it downright dangerous to use.

Chris

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Well its not really entirely Nokia's fault, since there really isnt a lot of data regarding the streets of the Philippines, especially since the number and identity of one way streets changes in very short intervals here. What we need is a standard system for road management, from which satnav companies can get reliable data.

Please use plain text.

chanchan05 wrote:
@savethekudzu - My Philippine map is like 13mb in size, and right down to almost the smallest streets in Los Baños, what more in Metro Manila? I also have the free voice Guided SatNav (using 5800 on v40). However you cannot avail of this map since you are only on Ovi Maps 2.0. The map updates come with the upgraded Ovi Maps. Your device supports Ovi Maps 3.0 so I am surprised that you havent upgraded yet.

Will try that today - thanks for the suggestion.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

With the new update (Maps 3.0), Greater Manila is definitely improved - I checked Pasay again, plus Calamba City, and lots of detail has been added.  Other cities, even big ones like Davao, seem still to be lacking.  A step in the right direction!

Please use plain text.
jpx3mdotcom

[ Edited ]

would be great if they complete maps coverage before they dump symbian...

right now i use Garmin Mobile XT- Philippines map from roadguide.ph woks great in all cities. because it's a community based project. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

How reliable do you find the turn-by-turn navigation system from Garmin?

As well as Nokia Maps, I've also tried a few other satnav systems but none of them work properly in Manila. Most of them fail to take into account many one-way streets, they tell you to take illegal no-right or no-left turns, or else they take you on totally inappropriate routes that no driver with local knowledge of the city would ever choose. The only satnav system I've used that really works well is TomTom, but unfortunately they still don't cover any parts of the Philippines.

I'm not sure what Garmin Mobile XT costs, but I would be willing to pay for something as long as it works reliably. So far I've wasted a lot of money trying other systems that are virtually unusable.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@chris_blunt

Not sure whether you are still using N95 8GB or have now moved on, but unfortunately Garmin Mobile Xt even when marketed only ever came installed upon 2GB microSD, which precludes "Plug'n'Play" installation upon devices such as yours where it needs to be installed upon mass memory; this is not to say that you can't install but method of doing so is probably outside the licensing arrangements.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.