Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Maps Suite 2.0

Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Nokia Maps Suite 2.0

I've just used Nokia Suite to install Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 on a N8 running Belle.  I had been reading about it here: http://blog.maps.nokia.com/nokia-maps/download-nokia-maps-suite-on-your-nokia-belle-device#more-1929... 

(When the installation said less than a minute left, it actually took much longer, around six minutes.  I was worried the program had crashed, so I tried to start it on my phone anyway, and right after that, the installation completed.)

According to the version information on the phone, I now have:

Version  v3.09 12wk09 b05

MW OpenGL MN

Map version 0.2.45.110

I've got a few questions - the very first one being whether there is a document posted somewhere explaining how to use the new software?  Or, is it to be trial and error on my part?

Next, I accidentally created a new "favorite" while trying things out - I can delete it by going to my favorites list, and doing a long-press on that favorite, to bring up the box with "delete".  Should I be able to delete favorites on the main Maps page as well?  I think that's how I used to do it ages ago.

I did a search for a local bagel restaurant, and eventually found it.  I clicked on the little "i" (for information?) at the right side of the listing, and got their street address.  Should I also have gotten their phone number?  It would be nice if not only the phone number showed up, but if I could click on it to call them.  

From the website about the program listed above:

"For our UK users, new Voice Search lets you get directions simply by speaking, so you can now navigate hands-free! Tap on the microphone icon next to the search box and speak your destination. Voice Search will be available for more countries and languages soon."  Is this included in what I just downloaded, and will it work in the USA and India?

Finally, I read something in this forum posted recently: "If you're still having issues trying the latest beta version from here should fix the issue: http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-maps-suite "    Is this version even newer than the one I just downloaded?  Which do you recommend?  Can you explain the differences?

First impressions are very positive.  The list we put together for Bell problems/issues can be found here:  /t5/Software-Updates/List-of-Belle-additions-corrections-needed/td-p/1328167/page/5 .   The issues for previous versions of maps were:

MAPS-- Ability to delete or edit map favorites from Drive (can be done from Maps).
  MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation.Camera & video
  MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation
  MAPS-- Return the English "surfer dude" voice to  Voice Navigation on the N8.
  MAPS-- Not possible to delete maps history.
  MAPS-- provide a simple and convenient method to import and export GPS coordinates
  MAPS-- Map widget doesn't support rotation with fingers
  MAPS-- No backup ability for map favorites without going on-line

I'm hoping when some of us test these in the new version, we'll be able to mark them as "solved"

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

[ Edited ]

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

According to the version information on the phone, I now have:

Version  v3.09 12wk09 b05

MW OpenGL MN

Map version 0.2.45.110

I've got a few questions - the very first one being whether there is a document posted somewhere explaining how to use the new software?  Or, is it to be trial and error on my part?

Next, I accidentally created a new "favorite" while trying things out - I can delete it by going to my favorites list, and doing a long-press on that favorite, to bring up the box with "delete".  Should I be able to delete favorites on the main Maps page as well?  I think that's how I used to do it ages ago.

I did a search for a local bagel restaurant, and eventually found it.  I clicked on the little "i" (for information?) at the right side of the listing, and got their street address.  Should I also have gotten their phone number?  It would be nice if not only the phone number showed up, but if I could click on it to call them.  

Finally, I read something in this forum posted recently: "If you're still having issues trying the latest beta version from here should fix the issue: http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-maps-suite "    Is this version even newer than the one I just downloaded?  Which do you recommend?  Can you explain the differences?

MAPS-- Not possible to delete maps history. 

I have the Beta installed, so can answer your question on that first - the version number of the last beta is the same as you quote for the new release version. So I don't think that there should be any differences.

I don't know of a manual, but have always considered trial and error the best way to learn what can be done.

I can delete favourites on the map screen by long pressing on the icon when the map is centred on it.

Some place pages do have telephone etc details included, if you know the missing information you can use the report link to inform Nokia, hopefully it will then be included in the next map update. Where it is included, you can select to call.

If it's search history you are talking of deleting in the wanted features, you can do this item by item by long pressing. A multi select option would be nice in a future update.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Thanks for all the info!!

I think I'm one of the (very) few people who actually reads documentation. I'll go with the trial-and-error method, as yo suggest.

Regarding the eight problems noted up above (copied from the Belle software issue thread), do you know who I can ask to find out if they have been corrected/fixed? Only one of those is my issue, allowing the use of the "English - Surfer Dude" for language. It's not fixed yet. The other issues are more important. I'll see what I can find out....
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

FIXED:

MAPS-- Ability to delete or edit map favorites from Drive

MAPS-- Not possible to delete maps history.   (Multi-Delete would be nice.)

MAPS-- Map widget doesn't support rotation with fingers (I can't see anything not working)

STILL BROKEN OR ???

MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation
  MAPS-- Return the English "surfer dude" voice to  Voice Navigation on the N8. (Still Broken)
  MAPS-- provide a simple and convenient method to import and export GPS coordinates
  MAPS-- No backup ability for map favorites without going on-line

To test this out, I went to one of my "favorites".  Even though I'm not asking for anything, it's telling me all about nearby restaurants.  If I wanted that info, I'd be searching for it.  How do I turn it off?

What I don't see, is the GPS co-ordinates for this location.  How do I find out what they are?

I don't see any way to export the GPS co-ordinates, which is what I was actually searching for. 

I don't see any way to back up my favorites to my phone or a PC.  There may or may not be a way to back them up to the cloud somewhere, but that's not what I want,as overseas I often have no network coverage.

I don't know enough yet about using this in a car to know whether it will work over Bluetooth or the N8's radio broadcast system.  I hope so.

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

I've just looked, and Surfer Dude is there as an option on mine, for drive navigation. Thinking about it, I'm sure it wasn't there wheni installed ms2 so maybe it appeared after I updated the voice guidance. Could be worth trying installing another voice and seeing if it becomes available.
N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

I added "Hindi" from the phone - still no Surfer Dude.  Am going to PC....

Fired up Maps from Nokia Suite - it says "Updates Available".  Am doing so...

It's now updating the "voice guidance files"...  29 megs of download...

OK, it's updating the five that I had from before, plus Hindi....

All done.....   am checking for Surfer Dude....

.....no luck - it's not in the list of voices I can download???

If you have it, it must be on the server, somewhere, someplace...   how can I update the server listing?

Had you not said anything, I never would have looked there to check.  Maybe this should be added to the notifications when a person first connects their phone to Nokia Suite?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Good grief!!!!

Go to drive settings, and voice navigation.  "Surfer Dude" won't be in the list.

Go to the very bottom, and type in "Surfer Dude"; it will appear as a selection.  Click on it, and install.  Done!

Amazing......    maybe the guys who organize these lists can add it to the official list, to make it a bit easier for other people who might not be as stubborn as we are?   :-)

............and I wonder what other voices might be lurking there, awaiting someone to discover them?  :-)

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

What I don't see, is the GPS co-ordinates for this location.  How do I find out what they are?

I don't see any way to export the GPS co-ordinates, which is what I was actually searching for. 

I don't see any way to back up my favorites to my phone or a PC.  There may or may not be a way to back them up to the cloud somewhere, but that's not what I want,as overseas I often have no network coverage.

Glad you found Surfer Dude, though it did sound very involved.

A slightly scruffy way to export coordinates would be to save the point you want as a favourite then use http://store.ovi.com/content/104730 or http://store.ovi.com/content/208256 to open it (they are called landmarks in these two apps). I use GPS coordinate converter to create favourites as it works in the easy to understand OSGB system. 

To backup your favourites, the description of http://store.ovi.com/content/42842 sounds like the app you want. I have it but havent yet played with it enough to be able to say how to do it.

(just for info: You are correct that they can be syncd with your nokia account and thus be available at maps.nokia.com , icon at bottom centre in attached screen grab)

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Well, my suggestions are as follows:

Backup - you go to "Files" > Backup and restore > Backup contents

You can select all, settings, Messages, and/or Contacts

I have "all" selected.  I think this should also include your stored Map favorites.

--------------------------------------

You can also backup the phone using a PC and either Nokia Suite or PC Suite.  I would like to see those two utilities back up the Map favorites.

As to GPS, I when the phone displays the information about a "favorite", the GPS co-ordinates should be displayed right there.

I will have to test the other way as well - there should be a way to enter the GPS co-ordinates of a place you're interested in.  I did that years ago before even Anna was released, and it was very handy.  GPS co-ordinates are a "standard", a "universal" way of describing a location.

It's nice that the software can do all the things it does with the internet/cloud, but that should all be in addition to the basic ways of doing it, not instead of.  ....at least that's my opinion.

I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow - will have several days to work with the new Maps software, and see what I think.  First impressions are mostly good!  ...and thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

Well, my suggestions are as follows:

Backup -

As to GPS, I when the phone displays the information about a "favorite", the GPS co-ordinates should be displayed right there.

I will have to test the other way as well - there should be a way to enter the GPS co-ordinates of a place you're interested in.  I did that years ago before even Anna was released, and it was very handy.  GPS co-ordinates are a "standard", a "universal" way of describing a location.

It's nice that the software can do all the things it does with the internet/cloud, but that should all be in addition to the basic ways of doing it, not instead of.  ....at least that's my opinion.

I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow - will have several days to work with the new Maps software, and see what I think.  First impressions are mostly good!  ...and thanks for your help!

Points taken on backup. I don't actually use backups much myself preferring to copy files manually. What could be an idea for Nokia Suite is to be able to define additional filetypes or folders to be syncd.

Agreed that display of lat/long would be useful on the favorite page, in fact I would go further and wish for the coordinates to also be displayed in 'local' coordinate systems as well.

You can search by lat/long (eiter as DMS or decimal degrees) as shown in the attachment. Again I would like it to go further as I would prefer to have been able to search for the point i used as 'SP 487 169'. Incidentally I tried the same lat/long coordinate search with google maps, on the N8 and my android tablet, and found that rather than it returning the point i was searching for it decided to choose a nearby address, so in terms of searching Nokia is way ahead.

Hope you have a god trip and maps proves useful. Since getting the N8 I have completly given up using my dedicated satnav and gps recievers, as well as compact camera.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Andy, I'm amazed. While so many things at Nokia seem to be going backwards, whoever it was who created this new version of Maps seems to have done an excellent job. The general layout, and how you work with the various screens seems very nicely laid out and intuitive.

There are lots of small details (such as the ones we've been discussing) that would make excellent additions, but the overall look and "feel" for the newest version seems great.

There are lots of new things added, only some of which I've had a chance to work with, but my first impressions are very, very good.

One thing I need to figure out how to do - I was on a bus, going from Miami, Florida to Ft. Pierce. I was using the navigation features as the bus headed north. I wanted to find the Greyhound bus terminal in Ft. Pierce, but the search process wouldn't find it. I finally put my "cursor" over Ft. Pierce, at which point a quick search for Greyhound found the bus terminal. Is there a trick I don't yet know, to search for a place near someplace that's not in the middle of your map screen?
Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Have had quite an extensive play with search today, and have come to the conclusion that I don't understand what rules it follows. It seems that you need to search for what it is expecting rather than what you want.

For the greyhound terminal in Ft Pierce, I found that "Greyhound Ft Pierce" failed, but "Greyhound Fort Pierce" worked, but for other Ft XXXX found that "Greyhound Ft XXXX" also worked.
So can only suggest, if a search fails, to try a slightly different term.

Hopefully search will improve in the future.
N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I would love to see a "universal search" drop--down selector...

Maybe it could ask the following, in order, as you clicked on your choices...

What country?

What state?

What city?

Address or type of establishment?

If "type of establishment", then lots of choices including restaurants, gas stations, and public transportation

If publick transportation is selected, then choices including bus, train, airplane, taxi,

In my case, if I selected "bus", this type of Q&A would continue.....

Too confusing?  Too much work?  Useful?   Should Nokia consider something like this?  My Garmin works sort of like this.....

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

andy3196 wrote:

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

I don't know of a manual, but have always considered trial and error the best way to learn what can be done.

I have just found that there is a User guide available, but for some reason I can't grab the direct link to it, but this search should list it as the first result https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nokia+maps+3.09+user+guide

It's a 350kB pdf file

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

I would love to see a "universal search" drop--down selector...

Yes, that sounds like a good way, but I would add "Continent" as the first choice to cut down the length of the countries list, and it would be necessary to have a "default" setting so that if you were spending a while in London for example you could have most of the fields prefilled.

Hopefully a new beta will be along soon so that ideas can be put forward and discussed, or it might be worth suggesting it via the feedback feature of maps.

I would quite like to see some extensions to the new view photos on map feature.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Thanks for the user guide location - I knew some of it, but I've already learned a lot of new things.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
anthap0

When Drive is entered from homescreen shortcut, in search, the microphone icon is visible to select for voice search (in UK as already noted). When entering Drive through Nokia Car Mode, the voice search microphone icon is not visible so cannot search using voice.
Can this be corrected to allow voice search in car mode?

Please use plain text.