Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Maps on iPhone?

Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Nokia Maps on iPhone?

I found an announcement somewhere for Nokia Maps for the iPhone, and sure enogh, it was available for download.

I put it on my 3GS, hoping to see the same things I get to see on my N8, but it's not even close.  As a standalone program, had it been called XYZ Maps, I'd enjoy the features it does provide.  Calling it Nokia Maps though seems like a big mistake - not only will people who already know what "Nokia Maps" is be disappointed, those who don't are going to think "Hey, what was the big deal about this thing - Nokia Maps has really been over-rated".

One of the reviews (http://www.redmondpie.com/nokia-maps-for-iphone-and-android-now-available-supports-offline-maps-stor... is really over-rated.  The heading says "Supports Offline Maps Storage" which is incorrect - the version I downloaded provides only one downloaded map, nothing like what I get on the N8.

I also went to http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2012/03/13/nokia-maps-on-iphone-free-voice-directions-web-app-beats-app...  which seems even more misleading - I haven't found any way to turn on voice directions.

If there really is a way, could someone here please explain?   As to the articles up above, I was expecting the real thing. 

(If I was in charge at Nokia, I'd never allow the full maps program to show up on competing devices, as Nokia Maps right now is the single biggest reason I can think of to continue using a Nokia phone.)

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Re: Nokia Maps on iPhone?

Hi 

Nokia Maps is available through a web interface for Android and iPhone. It also has voice guidance for walking. For more information see this article in Nokia Conversations.

Hope this helped,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Thanks, Kosh. I'll have the next week or so to play around with the iphone version, as well as the new maps software for Symbian.

Quick question - my iPhone 3GS asked if I would allow it to use up to 50 megs for storage, and I said fine. Does this mean I can download a huge map area up to 50 megs in size, and store it? Can I download all of South Florida?

I'm not sure Nokia can do it on the iPhone, but the beauty of Nokia Maps is that it's all stored on your phone - no network access needed unless you want extra stuff. It would be nice to see this on other platforms, but I don't think that will ever happen.

As to voice guidance, for every time I've used that on my N8, I've used voice guidance for Drive 20 times more. For the car, it's extremely useful. For walking, I don't see much purpose for it, other than to show off to my friends. :-)
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi 

You access maps through the webinterface it's not an app on the phone itself as such. The requested space is for the voice guidance files.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Kosh, are you sure?  You wrote "The requested space is for the voice guidance files"

According to this site:http://www.redmondpie.com/nokia-maps-for-iphone-and-android-now-available-supports-offline-maps-stor...  this is also permitted:

....."Then you can choose to save the map to your device to view in an offline state. This will allow you to pinch zoom and see your route without having to necessarily be connected to a cellular network or WiFi. Your map will save locally to your device and when you are ready to use it just choose to use your saved map from the menu....."

If they are wrong, and noting is being saved, that's the end of it.

If they are right, and I really can save one map, then how large an area can I save?  Can I only save my local surroundings, or the city I live in, or the state, or the country, or ???

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Have played with this as well today, but on an android. (It's been a bit wet to go boating)

The voice files seem to need about 1.9mb.

A single area of map can be downloaded but max and min zoom levels can be chosen, as shown attached. The file size for this is about 10mb, but that could be variable depending on the level of detail in the download.

(Trying to get a screen grab off an unrooted android reminds me how much I love the ease of use of Symbian. Yes I do need a web page of instructions in order to manage it)

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Just curious - if you get an iphone or Android, and you've got 8, 16, or 32 gigs, why not just download the largest area you might want, in the greatest detail you can. Suppose it takes up to 50, or even 100 megs. Why should you care? The sizes of Maps for the Symbian devices is far more.

There is probably a very logical reason, but if you can download and store one map, why not more? Theoretically, why not be able to download all the standard Nokia Maps that we now use for our Symbian phones?

Maybe this will be in the next version.

(Screen capture - I need to go find one for my iphone if it exists... I still need to buy an Android to start working with, if I could ever find one that will remain "current" as long as the Nokia phones!)
Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

I doubt that there is any technical reason for the limit, but can see that there could well be a marketing reason - give a cut down experience on other devices to encourage people to switch to Nokia devices to get the full package. Google maps seems similar, it is much better on Androids than on the N8.
It does surprise me that it doesn't seem to be available to non-Nokia WP7 devices, unless they are working on a maps-lite app.
N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

Screen capture - I need to go find one for my iPhone if it exists.

Just press "Home" button + "Power" button at the same time upon your 3GS for screenshot.

As far as I can see you keep needing to download the 1.9MB voice file every time you use it for "walking".

Whilst you pointed out about getting it to allow 50MB I was prompted did I want 100MB, but it still only downloaded a miniscule map!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.