Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Maps problem GPS

Counsellor
SAMUELE_SUOMI84
Accepted Solution

Nokia Maps problem GPS

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone!

I have the follow problem with N8:

I open Ovi maps and the gps signal starts, it finds my position, but if i close and i open after sometime, the symbol GPS doesn't start and Ovi maps doesn't find my position. To make it work again i need to restart my phone, i dont think is a problem with the hardware, also because with sygic it works always, but i prefer Ovi maps, please help me!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Hi

To help further is your N8 running Symbian Anna or Belle?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SAMUELE_SUOMI84

Symbian Belle, I had this problem also with Symbian Anna, if i remember i had this problem from Ovi Maps 3.08, before there was the version with one icon and when i was inside the program i  had the options: drive, walk, meteo, etc, but with the old version never i had this problem

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@SAMUELE_SUOMl84

As you are using Belle there is also the opportunity to try Nokia Maps Suite 2 from Nokia Beta Labs:http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-maps-suite

This application can also be useful to check function of GPS:http://store.ovi.com/content/208256

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SAMUELE_SUOMI84

[ Edited ]

I tried already Nokia Maps Suite 2, but i have always the same problem.

Thank you! Now i try this app on ovi store, every gps program that i have tried it works well, also when it starts the problem with nokia maps, the problem is only with nokia maps.

i ask one question:

Is not that when i close Nokia Maps, some hide application of Nokia maps it stays open?

because for example: when i close Nokia maps after i found the position, and then i open it again, there is the history of the last position, instead if i restart my n8, the history for the last position is not there anymore, maybe if some application it stays open to hold the history and then after sometime it gives some error creating the problem about the gps signal

I tried also leGPSdata2, it works fine also when i have this problem with nokia maps

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SAMUELE_SUOMI84

[ Edited ]

I think i found the problem, i tried to delete all maps (i downloaded from phone) from Nokia maps when i have this problem with gps, then i close nokia maps and i open it again, even if nokia maps is in crash maybe because there are no maps anymore, the gps symbol it starts again, if i download from Nokia suite seems to be ok, instead if i search some update from my phone it says that there is one new version, i download it, and it starts again the problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SAMUELE_SUOMI84

I still have this problem, please help me!!

Im sure that the problem is software, i'm not the only one who has this problem. I don't think i'm the only one that doesn't turn off never the phone, this problem appears after some hours that i close map.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AUSstah

I have the same problem, i sent it  to nokia care 3 times, they say "software problem", they put again the software, but i still have this problem, i have also problem with the compass, after sometime the compass doesn't work on nokia maps and also with the others applications, for example 3d compass and sygic.

Some help! i dont want to be with one phone that is useless.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Fabfrey

[ Edited ]

Same problem here with GPS and Compass!! But something is weird, for example i downloaded Nokia Maps v3.08 11wk47 b04 and i still have this problem, but if i try to find the position with the widget "own position" the symbol "gps signal" starts again, if i go on Nokia Maps i have this problem again

My phone is N8

HELP!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AUSstah

Me too, i've N8
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Agatha

[ Edited ]

I have the same problems too with N8.

when i have this problems, i try to change the location of the maps with the memory card, it asks to open again the application "nokia maps" for applying the origin of the maps, then i change the address again because the maps are on the mass memory, i open ovi maps again, the GPS symbol and the compass it starts again.

Someone can help us?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SAMUELE_SUOMI84

I downloaded task manager 1.0(6), after much time i found the application that it stays open when u close maps, it is ''smart2go.exe'' when i close this application nokia maps it starts from the beginning and the gps it works again. Maybe is some problem with this application.

Hmm, i think that the problem is really software. But some help is good, no?
Please use plain text.
Christianrem

Hi!! i have the same problem with n8, and also with c6, i tried to re-install the software but there is nothing to do,i dont want bring it to nokia care, also because i cant wait almost 2 months to have my phone back.

Please use plain text.
ThomasTiv

[ Edited ]

Same problem here with compass and gps, i use very much the navigator, but are 4 months that the situation is impossible, for nokia care is sorftware problem, but i start to be very angry now, i ask help on many forum, but no answer, at least if nokia care change this phone, i dont think is software, the problem is hardware.i give it to nokia care 2 times already, and they say always the same answer, but they are waiting that my warranty ends, so i need to pay the problem with my own money?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SAMUELE_SUOMI84

Some help?
Please use plain text.
Christianrem

yesterday i received back my Nokia n8 from Nokia care but this morning i go to open again maps.but nothing! i still have this problem,they put again the software.but the problem is still the same.IM VERY DISAPPOINTED FROM MY N8.HELP!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Christianrem

Sorry to hear this but newly returned device will have loss all ephemeris GPS data so have you tried going to Menu > Settings > Application settings > Positioning > Positioning methods - temporarily disable all except Integrated GPS, go outside away from tall buildings if feasible launch Nokia Maps and wait 20 - 30 minutes for it to establish first positional lock.

Please use plain text.
Christianrem

I've done this immediately they give me the phone. It found the position.i close maps and yesterday morning i discover to have this problem again.THE SAME ALSO TODAY!!im afraid that i will be in the same situation of ThomasTiv.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SAMUELE_SUOMI84

[ Edited ]

I received my phone last monday, i was happy that finally i had one phone without problems, but on wednesday it started again this stupid problem, i dont know what to do, also to me they said the problem is software, im tired of these games.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

Have you tried the latest Maps 3.09 version which can be installed as part of Nokia Maps Suite 2.0? You'll find Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 in the SW Update menu in your phone, or in Nokia Suite updates menu or at Nokia Store.

Please use plain text.